It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:51

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Kabuto Rods
Post 03 Dec 2010, 06:39 • #76 
Master Guide
Jerry - Yes, the 301A is about the same weight, within a couple grams, and has around the same capacity ...

Kabuto Rods
Post 04 Dec 2010, 17:53 • #77 
Glass Fanatic
fred1369 wrote:
tonemike - I have had the chance and cast Kab's 703-3 and 764-3 ... they are a nice progressive (medium) action. I think there is a misconception out there that all Japanese glass rods are slow or "full flex". Kab's work is outstanding and he works hard to provide his customers a rod they can treasure.
Quote:
Thanks for your input Fred. very glad to hear that too, as those blanks are really cool looking.
Quote:
-mike

Kabuto Rods
Post 23 Dec 2010, 17:19 • #78 
Guide
Full flex rod but it will lay down line on target with command. I bought this rod for it's beauty but will fish it for its superiority.

Kabuto Rods
Post 13 Jan 2011, 14:07 • #79 
Glass Fanatic
First let me say that I find the 8ft 3pc 5wt Kab rod and outstanding build with nothing to ask for in quality. Point in fact I will order a 4wt next month. Now to the rod itself, Im seeing alot of the same thing others here have. Frankly this rod excells as a 6wt, I have Camerons loaner, and have been comparing it alot to absolute perfect american vintage glass, i.e., Rush Peak and Phillipson Epoxite. And I have some good examples of both. Let me say this Im retired, my right arm is pretty much gone from fishing every day possible. I have arthritis pretty bad in winter in it. Its painfull every night in winter like now. I over extended my abilities over decades with the best of Graphite and casting across the river where their were no fish for no reason. Now I cast where the fish are. Usually about 30ft of head, the leader, tippet and fly, and Im picky as hell about all three.
So what did I find with the Kab 5 wt. Well with my sore old arm, the rod is a perfect 6wt with half a dozen lines at any distance from 30 ft till you want to double hall into the backing. But for me at least its not my perfect soft slow 5wt. Again honestly I have dozens of perfect 6wts. Only half a dozen or so perfect 5wts so Im gonna go with a Kab but one rated a 4wt based on the input from our valued members here.
Richard

Kabuto Rods
Post 13 Jan 2011, 19:46 • #80 
Glass Fanatic
thanks for the report richard. so will you order the 4wt and fish it with a 5 (since you liked the 5wt with a 6)?
-mike

Kabuto Rods
Post 13 Jan 2011, 20:41 • #81 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Mike, you hit the nail on the head, I will most likely if the 4wt follows our members comments, fish it with a Wulff TT5wt, I love the rod, the way it looks and feels, just don't need another 6wt rod. It really is a fantastic rod, the 805 in an old arm is a great 6wt, awsome, from what other members have said about the 4wt Im guessing its just as good as a 5wt. I think Kab like many other American rod makers have already, needs to classify his glass rods more generously, the 805 should be a 5/6wt depending on your abilities, old arms, etc. In the old days casting Graphite with a young arm Im sure it is an awsome 5wt, however for an old guy fishing every day he can, its definately a premium 6wt. So I will go with the same rod in 4wt, and fish it with a 5wt line, its a great rod.
Richard

Kabuto Rods
Post 26 Jan 2011, 20:32 • #82 
Glass Fanatic
Well as a follow up I have sent the Rod along to the next member, this system of loaners as long as the member accepts the responsibility of shipment is outstanding. While the Kabuto Rods are magnificent, many of our members have expressed an opinion that line weights are not as restrictive as posted. I found the 5wt to be a great DT5wt but an even better WF6I or WF6anything, it came alive for me with 6wt forward lines, without much effort either, thats the way I like my rods, Im getting older and fish alot, every day I can so I wear a tennis brace on my wrist and sometimes on my elbow, Im not into pain and cast alot every day.
So anyway Ive been lucky, I decided on the 4wt rod for both DT4 and WF5 after all the comments here, a member here offered me his, he was looking for a lighter rod, so we are both happy, Thank you Cameron, often Rods are made my young men and bought by old men, as such the chance to cast the actual product, especially a rod not normally available in the USA is excellent, I think I found what I want, helped another member find what he wants, and helped the maker, thank Kab for being so generous to offer us this chance to use his fine, and very desirable rods.
Richard

Kabuto Rods
Post 28 Jan 2011, 17:38 • #83 
Glass Fanatic
I got several 6.5ft rods. I was wondering if anyone here has gotten their hands on either the 6623 or 6633 and could offer a report?

Kabuto Rods
Post 29 Jan 2011, 09:48 • #84 
Guide
Not yet, but I understand Kab is finishing up a 6633 for someone (not me). He told me the 6623 would be a bit faster than the 6633.

Kabuto Rods
Post 20 Jul 2011, 03:56 • #85 
Guide

I have up dated my website.
Please visit to http://www.kabutorods.com/available.html
Kab

Kabuto Rods
Post 27 Sep 2011, 23:56 • #86 
Glass Fanatic
kab wrote:
My fly rod is a medium action. When fishing at close range it is easy to form a loop from the delicate rod tip. Because of this delicate tip, it is important to open the loop when casting a long line. The 8053 is not cast only off the tip, nor only from the butt. As the fly line is extended, the rod action gradually shifts from the tip, through the glass ferrules, and into the butt section. The fly rod bending speed is such that it can be cast at a fast pace compared to a bamboo fly rod.
I feel the same way when casting Kabuto 8053. The action is very suitable to cast long distance and/or punch a relative large fly (hopper. #12 drake) in the windy condition. I have filmed my friend Griz cast this rod while fishing in a very windy condition (40-60 mph). If you see the first cast in the video, you can see how he "drive" the rod almost touch the surface (on the last false cast) and get a great loop and high ling speed to get the fly reach the other band. This kind of casting is taking advantage of the modern fly line design, the loop will form a "wedge shape" and punch the lone through the high wind well ... Mark
http://www.vimeo.com/29558761

Re: Kabuto Rods
Post 23 Dec 2011, 09:51 • #87 
Glass Fanatic
Kab is taking orders for the 7653 now. He says the action of the 765 is faster than the 764 but otherwise very similar.

Post 23 Dec 2011, 10:42 • #88 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like the 7043 will be the last to debut then. I really liked the 7033 when I demo'd it but I'm curious how the 7043 will compare as it should be a little more versatile rod being a 4wt.

Post 23 Dec 2011, 11:23 • #89 
Glass Fanatic
dhoover8448 wrote:
as it should be a little more versatile rod being a 4wt.

the 7033 handles a #4 really well, IMO.
maybe more of a 4 than a 3, in certain fisherman's hands, for short-line fishing.

Post 23 Dec 2011, 11:44 • #90 
Glass Fanatic
corlay wrote:
dhoover8448 wrote:
as it should be a little more versatile rod being a 4wt.

the 7033 handles a #4 really well, IMO.
maybe more of a 4 than a 3, in certain fisherman's hands, for short-line fishing.

As a FYI, I used a Cortland 333 DT3F line on the 7033 the short time I had it and it worked great, even at point blank ranges. So maybe I'll call it a 3.5wt rod ;) But I over-line almost every short rod I own, if I'm planning to fish really close-in most of the time.

Post 23 Dec 2011, 13:22 • #91 
Glass Fanatic
Wow, he hooks a fish like two seconds after the fly hits the water. The rod while fighting the fish looks like it has some sweet deep action.

yuhina wrote:
kab wrote:
My fly rod is a medium action.  When fishing at close range it is easy to form a loop from the delicate rod tip.  Because of this delicate tip, it is important to open the loop when casting a long line. The 8053 is not cast only off the tip, nor only from the butt.  As the fly line is extended, the rod action gradually shifts from the tip, through the glass ferrules, and into the butt section. The fly rod bending speed is such that it can be cast at a fast pace compared to a bamboo fly rod.
I feel the same way when casting Kabuto 8053. The action is very suitable to cast long distance and/or  punch a relative large fly (hopper. #12 drake) in the windy condition. I have filmed my friend Griz cast this rod while fishing in a very windy condition (40-60 mph). If you see the first cast in the video, you can see how he "drive" the rod almost touch the surface (on the last false cast) and get a great loop and high ling speed to get the fly reach the other band. This kind of casting is taking advantage of the modern fly line design, the loop will form a "wedge shape" and punch the lone through the high wind well ... Mark http://www.vimeo.com/29558761

Post 20 Nov 2013, 11:48 • #92 
Kab's rods are some of the best on the market these days. I am the proud owner of a three weight model. They are beautifully made and the action is just right. I am anxiously waiting for my next rod—a 5 weight. I recommend these rods.

Kabuto landing net
Post 30 May 2016, 20:16 • #93 
Guide
We release Kabuto original landing net.

Specification
Grip : stacked bamboo
Out side frame : zebra flamed bamboo
Inside frame : curly wood
Net : olive

Price
Small (26cmx17cm) : $325
Medium (31cmx20cm) : $350
$20 world wide shipping

Delivery time : 1-2 month

Thanks,
Kab

Post 31 May 2016, 03:35 • #94 
Guide
Awesome!

Post 31 May 2016, 09:02 • #95 
Guide
That last photo is beautiful!!!

Beautiful workmanship all around.

Post 24 Jun 2016, 16:55 • #96 
Sport
Mark,
Your video is a pretty impressive cast into that wind. Thanks for posting.
Jack

Post 28 Jun 2016, 08:09 • #97 
I had to replace my keyboard because of all the drooling. Great looking rods!

Announcement price raise
Post 29 Jun 2016, 01:16 • #98 
Guide
I'm sorry to say that I forgot to announce on this forum.
We apply current price until July 5 only for FFR member. (Please contact me by PM)

****Announcement Price Raise*****
Due to Japanese Yen appreciation, It became difficult for us to maintain the price of our products.
Thus, We would like to inform the price change for new order from July 1.
Finished rod : $80 raised
Rod blank : $25 raised (From November delivery blank)
We appreciate your understanding in this issue.

Post 05 Jul 2016, 11:34 • #99 
Master Guide
I built a 6623 and it is great with a WF3

Post 05 Jul 2016, 12:04 • #100 
Glass Fanatic
Mike
please bring that one to New Mexico- it ought to be a good tool for the water there.

Les

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply