It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:27

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Kabuto Rods
Post 21 Apr 2010, 21:56 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Kab - I'm so happy to be on your list, let me know when you are ready to ship! I have seen some previews over the last months, but I could never imagine the beauty of your rods. The fragile and ephemeral quality of Norie Amberstar, combined with the personal flavour of bamboo craftmanship, and finally a graphic twist with the black skeleton.

I'm stunned, speechless ... can't wait ... Image

With deep respect/Chris

Last edited by chform on 21 Apr 2010, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

Kabuto Rods
Post 22 Apr 2010, 04:26 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
chform - I hear ya'.

I missed the opportunity for a Norie in the past; I'm not going to make the same mistake with a Kabuto. This will be my first Japanese glass rod, and I'm really excited.

I've been talking with Yasuyuki over the past couple months, and it's been neat to see the evolution of his rods. He's shipping my 7'6" 4 wt with the bamboo reel seat tomorrow! Can't wait.

Kabuto Rods
Post 22 Apr 2010, 04:33 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Doc - I'm very jealous! I can't wait to hear the full report. I would have to sell off a few rods, but it may well be worth it ...
- Pete

Kabuto Rods
Post 22 Apr 2010, 04:59 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
PeteStiles wrote:
Doc - I'm very jealous! I can't wait to hear the full report. I would have to sell off a few rods, but it may well be worth it ...
- Pete

I sold a few Sage LL rods over the winter and the funds were in my paypal account waiting for the right "next rod." Image

Will post a full report; unfortunately run-off season in Colorado is here though. Image

Kabuto Rods
Post 22 Apr 2010, 05:54 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Doc - Congrats! Kab told me I'm in the next batch. I'm in for the same rod as yours. This is a keeper!

Kabuto Rods
Post 24 Apr 2010, 07:00 • #31 
Guide
Thank you everyone. I deeply appreciate all the kind word.
doc, I hope you like Kabuto rod
chris, please expect it

The website Kabuto Rods was completed.
I take an order from today.
Kab

Kabuto Rods
Post 26 Apr 2010, 07:01 • #32 
Piscator
kab wrote:
striking - very nice work.

Kabuto Rods
Post 26 Apr 2010, 08:10 • #33 
Guide
I am thrilled to say that I recieved my 4 wt rod today from Kab. The quality and craftmanship is A-1.
Not only is this rod easy on my eyes, but first and foremost was designed to be an excellent casting and fish catching tool.
I am not good with words and hope someone else will give a more concise detailed description and action of their Kabuto rod.
Thanks Yasuyuki, I am very very happy with my rod. Vix

Kabuto Rods
Post 26 Apr 2010, 08:58 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Vix wrote:
I am thrilled to say that I recieved my 4 wt rod today from Kab. The quality and craftmanship is A-1.
Not only is this rod easy on my eyes, but first and foremost was designed to be an excellent casting and fish catching tool.
I am not good with words and hope someone else will give a more concise detailed description and action of their Kabuto rod.
Thanks Yasuyuki, I am very very happy with my rod. Vix

Hi, Vix

Congrats. Which length 4 wt did you go with? What reel are you planning to mate it with?

Kabuto Rods
Post 26 Apr 2010, 12:02 • #35 
Guide
Hello Doc,

I went with the 7'6" as well. It is truely a fine rod.
As for reels, I am still looking for the right balance amongst the only few that I have. Regards,

Kabuto Rods
Post 27 Apr 2010, 01:25 • #36 
Guide
bulldog1935, Thank you for praised words!
Vix, I'm very happy you like Kabuto Rod!
Doc, I think your rod will be delivered soon ... Please let me know your impression about Kabuto rod.

Now, I am working with the final varnish of 7'0"#3.
I am appreciate to alot of reply and PM.
Thanks,
Kab

Kabuto Rods
Post 28 Apr 2010, 10:20 • #37 
I also just ordered a rod from Kab.From the looks of the pictures Kab posted,they truely look like works of art.They are just stunning.What a craftsman.

Kabuto Rods
Post 28 Apr 2010, 11:36 • #38 
Piscator
welcome to the forum - heck of a start.

Kabuto Rods
Post 28 Apr 2010, 16:17 • #39 
Guide
Flabergasted is all I can say! They are a work of art. Many have already mentioned the beauty of the stacked bamboo reel seat. To me Kab's rods epitomize the Japanese ideal of both form and function. The first thing that came to mind was some of the fine Japanese silk prints that I've seen wherein an older fisherman is using a bamboo pole to fish. Instead of the pole I saw one of Kab's rods. I think it would fit just fine in one of these prints and not look out of place. It's not going to be if I get one of these rods, but when. My fear is, that since my wife is just starting to learn how to fly fish she'll snap it up and I'll have to buy another.

Kabuto Rods
Post 28 Apr 2010, 18:03 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Well, my Kabuto 7'6" 4 wt 3 pc (3 1/2 oz.) came in the mail today. Um. . . wow! Image

I haven't had a chance to cast it yet cuz the wind is howling here in Colorado today. From an initial waggle, I'd initially put in the medium flex category; it's certainly not a noodle nor is it tippy; one could likely vary the tempo a touch from medium by choosing the right line. That waggle had me smiling as it reminded me of some of my Winston, Fisher, and McFarland glass tapers. Hopefully, the wind will die down tomorrow, and I'll be able to cast it and give y'all some casting impressions.

So much to appreciate from an aesthetic standpoint. Take the minimalism of a Norie Amberstar and add organic warmth, and you have a Kabuto rod. Here are some pics.

Elegant paper label over fiberglass wrapped REC tube. Cork quality is amongst the best I've come across.

Distinctive Japanese paper wrap over reel seat; blued NS reel seat hardware

OK, Duff, I get it now. Yellow-orange is my new favorite blank color. Warm semi-translucent wraps/tipping.

What more can be said about the stacked bamboo reel seat? For a cane and glass fan, I've got the best of both worlds!

Obligatory "glow in the sun" shot.

My Marryat MR 7.5 reel (also made in Japan) is a contender for a mate. Hmm. . . Kineya?

Edit: Updated a couple photos.

Kabuto Rods
Post 29 Apr 2010, 03:24 • #41 
Master Guide
Wow. Consider me jealous, Doc. Thanks for the fantastic pictures, though. Your description of the rod as possessing "organic warmth" make it might appealing to me.

Kabuto Rods
Post 29 Apr 2010, 06:04 • #42 
Piscator
Doc, the unported Marryat is a jewel.

Kabuto Rods
Post 29 Apr 2010, 16:04 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
Snow and wind finally cleared for an hour this evening. [It's almost May and we got 3 inches of snow here!] I took the Kabuto 7'6" 4 wt in the front yard to get some casting impressions. I'm not an expert reviewer but I can share my thoughts.

Shortest Answer:

Shorter Answer:
It casts as great as it looks.

Short Answer:
In my hand and on my lawn, the Kabuto 7'6" 4 wt is a smooth medium progressive action that I'd describe as a versatile 4/5 wt. Pick the 4 or 5 wt line that matches best your casting rhythm and/or fishing requirements for the day, and enjoy!

More detailed report:
I know that lawn casting is not the same as casting on the water, but my session gave me an idea of it's action. My first couple casts with each line quickly felt familiar, resembling other medium progressive rods in my quiver.

I cast it with a handful of lines: a Hook & Hackle DT4, an Orvis Wonderline WF5, a Hook & Hackle DT5, and a Wulff Triangle Taper 5. I started with the DT4 and worked my way up. [Unfortunately, I don't have a WF4 line to try out. I do have a WF3 Peach & Sylk, but I didn't try them.]

On my lawn, the rod cast the H&H DT4 effortlessly between 20-40 ft, where I usually catch fish. At very short distances (<15 ft), the H&H DT4 didn't load the rod as much as some slow, very full-flexing rods. But this is probably more commentary on the line rather than the rod; H&H lines feel kinda light to me for their designation, and I didn't have a fly on the water to help load the rod so that may change after a pond visit or with a more substantial 4 wt line.

The WF/DT5 lines loaded the rod very well at short distances, even on the lawn. Casting up to 50 ft was smooth and did not overload the rod; more competent casters could likely cast further if needed. The TT5 felt great as well but started to feel a little overloaded at the longer distances. If the rod was labeled a 7'6" 5 wt, I'd believe it!

Basically, the 7'6" Kabuto is a smooth medium progressive rod that likes both 4 and 5 wt lines; I'd call it a 7'6" 4/5 wt rod. It casts great with either line in my hand. I'd guess that there might be just as many people using a 5 wt line with it as a 4 wt line; it just depends on your casting stroke and/or what you need the rod to do.

I'm gonna try a 4 wt line for mild wind or windless days and when fishing small to medium flies to spooky fish.
And I'll choose a 5 wt line if I expect mild to moderate wind, fishing up to larger flies/tandem set-ups, or if I need to fish in very close (<15 ft casts in small stream pocket water).

I'll update a casting report after I visit a pond, maybe this weekend. Hope to hear of others' impressions as well! Image

Kabuto Rods
Post 29 Apr 2010, 23:42 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Doc, I can't decide if I like your fine photos or descriptive words better. Don't have to, and don't want to, either.

Kabuto Rods
Post 30 Apr 2010, 01:24 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
Abe, thanks for the great review ... aurelio

Kabuto Rods
Post 30 Apr 2010, 01:39 • #46 
Guide
That's a good write up and I think spot on Doc, even about the H&H DT lines which you alluded to.
This is my first yellow glass fly rod since the disappearance of an Eagle Claw I had many years ago. I hope it doesn't get too hazardous.
Now if my lower back would quit acting up maybe I can get this rod to see some water.

How's about a red agated Fish On reel. ... heh? Enjoy.

Kabuto Rods
Post 30 Apr 2010, 03:48 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
Vix

I hear you about the yellow glass hazard! And we must have similar tastes in rod/reel outfits cuz I was thinking about a Fish On red agate reel as well for this rod! The one that mimics a Hardy St. George, right? It would compliment the blued hardware very well. Now that would be a great official FFR reel! I was checking TJ Bear Den's website and eBay last week for an update of the upcoming agate version but there weren't any references to it anymore. Maybe I'll shoot the proprietor another email inquiry.

Aurelio

I'll bring the Kabuto along with the Winston DL4/Retro if we can hook up in New Mexico this season!

Kabuto Rods
Post 02 May 2010, 09:05 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
Just got back from casting at a local pond.

The Kabuto 7'6" 4wt did much better with the H&H DT4 on the water (vs. the lawn) with short casts (<15 ft). I'm probably going to go with DT4/WF5 set ups.

And here's a better pic of the glass-wrapped REC tube as well.

Kabuto Rods
Post 07 Jun 2010, 02:35 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful rods. I see Kab has the 8' 5wt. available now.

Kabuto Rods
Post 08 Jun 2010, 11:47 • #50 
Guide
That is the sexiest rod I have ever seen. Usually I am more concerned about function over looks, not this time. Great, how am I going to explain this one to my wife! I will be selling some rods soon!
TW

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply