It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:11

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Mar 2010, 11:46 • #1 
Master Guide
Should be in 'what's new'?

Vision are Finnish, they make very fishable mid-price and great value graphite fly rods (and good zip waders)
Carbon apologist introduction, but nonetheless ...
http://www.visionflyfishi ... php?page_id=30&c=30
http://www.visionflyfishi ... =33&c=30&pid=255

3-piece $Eur230ish
[img]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/MARKWI~2/LOCALS~1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/img]
Not tried one - for info rather than a recommendation

[I moved this to What's New, as requested. Tom]

Last edited by taniwha2 on 19 Mar 2010, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Mar 2010, 13:32 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
their reels are fine, a great value. I have two GT24 and a Koma. The notion of a fiberglass rod from a company with whom many folks are unfamiliar is very interesting. I notice tht their sole agent in the USA is The Deschutes Angler in Maupin, Oregon. I'd sure like to try on of those rods. The short 4/5 has my attention. Way to go Vision!

Last edited by Rockthief on 18 Mar 2010, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Mar 2010, 14:00 • #3 
Administrator
Hmm. Cult Fiber. That's a cool name for a glass rod. I wish I thought of it. The 7'6" for a 7/8 weight line is an interesting rod.

You are right, this does belong in the what's new in the market, so I moved it here. The retail price of €230 (~$300) would be competitive in the US market. Has anyone seen one for real?

Tom

Last edited by jgestar on 18 Mar 2010, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Mar 2010, 02:25 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Rockthief wrote:
I notice tht their sole agent in the USA is The Deschutes Angler in Maupin, Oregon.
... though there is no mention of any Vision product on their website. Might be a new relationship.

Post 21 Mar 2010, 06:07 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
The Deschutes Angler is also a dealer for Dutch Reels. I believe it is an "I want to order" situation. Don't think they have things in stock.

Post 22 Mar 2010, 01:42 • #6 
Sport
Finally!

Post 22 Mar 2010, 03:26 • #7 
Piscator
great news. Line weights and lengths are all desirable - they look great.
I'm going to be watching for Harris sportsmail to pick these up.

Post 22 Mar 2010, 05:15 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I tried the two midge tapers on the big FF Fair here in Sweden last week, and I wasn't too impressed. Vision had a series called Midge, discontinued a few years back, with a 5'6" 3wt, and a 6'6" 4wy, and these tapers are very similar. Soft, with a thick tip, to thick for me. The rod gets unstable with more than 20' of line in the air. I would have preferred a more progressive taper, which would have been more allround IMHO. With these tapers, the Vision staff misses the opportunity to convince the graphite mafia that fiberglass is part of the future.

Nice try though, and the pikerod seems nice, too bad I didn't try it ...

Last edited by chform on 21 Apr 2010, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

Post 20 Apr 2010, 17:01 • #9 
Guide
"Modern fiberglass rods are not like their predecessors. These are light and responsive and yes, you can really fish with them. They even cast far!"

Please, everyone send your heavy, non-responsive, uncastable old rods my way for proper disposal.

Post 21 Apr 2010, 08:32 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
WetFlyAction wrote:
"Modern fiberglass rods are not like their predecessors. These are light and responsive and yes, you can really fish with them. They even cast far!"

Please, everyone send your heavy, non-responsive, uncastable old rods my way for proper disposal.

I was about to toss my Phillipsons and Fenwicks in the garbage, but I guess I'll send them to you instead Image

Post 21 Apr 2010, 14:26 • #11 
Piscator
modern glass rods would do well to pick up where venerable glass rods left off

Post 21 Apr 2010, 16:59 • #12 
Master Guide
imho good modern glass rods have done that.

Post 21 Apr 2010, 20:55 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know about the rods themselves, but I'd just take that "not your old clunker 'glass" as a marketing statement as opposed to a technical one. The popular concept of fiberglass rods in the graphite generation angler--which is now at its peaking in earning and purchasing power for leisure time products--is of an Eagle Claw, a Shakespeare and so on. High-end tackle in their angling lifetime was graphite. So a savy marketer today has to lure them from that, and is also re-spinning the old "glass clunker" mantra of early graphite advertising. In other words, bulldog and Doc are both right. The niche for well designed, fine 'glass rods is reopened, but the future of that market is in the graphite or brand-new flyfisher, not the lifelong 'glass affacianados like some of us. We might come to it as old friends--as in folks who recognize the Kenney or Morgan names. That's a dying market though--demographically--so some marketing has to go to remaking the 'glass image for the modern (graphite) angler, and then to the brand new fly angler. So I think that statement is Vision's way of trying, and like most advertising, I wouldn't read much technical into it.

Post 22 Apr 2010, 06:43 • #14 
Piscator
there are also modern glass rods that were started at mimicking graphite and "backed down" - I know, I've fished them, and they're a mistake from inception.

This incorrect approach is what that marketing statement implies.
But I agree with you, Stephen, it's not technical, it's marketing.

Post 22 Apr 2010, 07:32 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
modern glass rods would do well to pick up where venerable glass rods left off
I think that is exactly what Larry did with his offerings. My 794 is delightful. Nothing about it resembles graphite, even the very best of graphite tapers, of which I also enjoy. Pure glass.

Rich

Post 23 Apr 2010, 04:28 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
It's possibly not just a generational or marketing thing, as there are practical reasons to choose faster glass as well. If you live out west like me and normally fish wide open spaces in blustery conditions on steep rivers where the fish and the water run fast, but still want to fish a slower glass (or cane) rod, you might prefer something a bit snappier. You might choose an S-Glass rod like a Steffen or Scott over an E-Glass rod. I too just received a Kenney 794, but the weather forecast will need to call for calm winds for me to pick that one on any particular day.

But for me, that's splitting hairs in the grand scheme of things -- meaning, the grand range of rods from super slow old glass to super fast Sage TCRs is vast. I actually have use for all rod speeds. For me, it's about the taper combined with a material. I fish 'em all from sub-6' glass to giant graphite spey; and parabolic, progressive, and tip-flex tapers.

By the way, I'm probably on the young side for this forum at age 42, though have been flyfishing for 30+ years. So I kind of started with glass (a floppy Eagle Claw 8'6" 7wt in the late 1970's), ran blindly toward ever faster graphite in the 1980's-90's, and over the past decade have developed very mixed preferences. I could compete for having the most schizophrenic arsenal out there.

Post 24 Apr 2010, 03:22 • #17 
Piscator
the best big beating coastal wind glass rod I've ever fished is my Izch 8-1/2' 6/7 parabolic. Yes, it's S-glass, but the taper is nothing like anything made from graphite.
It's a glass rod with its taper closer to some of the cane cannons made PHY than anything from Sage or TFO.
And you won't hear me bad-mouthing my Sage RPLX7 because it has its place - I've cast the rod 140' before.
The 3-pc. rod and tube stashes easily in a hold in my kayak, making it my always back-up rod when I'm kaying the turtle grass flats.
Also have a 9' Fisher 8-wt. that's a perfect redfish/floating-line rod. That is what it does best, control cast in the wind.

New Topic Add Reply