It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:14

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Mar 2010, 18:54 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I talked with Phil this evening and got some updates. The bad news first: the prices had to go up roughly $10 a blank. IMO; the blanks are still modestly priced. Next: if you plan to build a 7'6" #3/4, order it soon. They're selling well and he's down to a small number of blanks at this time. Phil use to always tell folks his favorite glass rod is his 6'8" #3/4. Well, Phil was eager to say he's thrilled about how the 7'6" #4/5 turned out (his new favorite?). I've cast it a few times and it's easy to understand Phil's enthusiasm. It's a great rod.
I've already posted that the two 4pc.models will be a revamped 7'3" #3/4 and a totally new 7'9" #4/5. Now for fresh news. Phil's creating some 3 pc. rods. He's in the process of finalizing the tapers for a 6'6" #2/3, 7'0" #3/4 and a 7'6" #4/5. All models will be offered in gloss "bamboo" and the matte baked cane color. He anticipates that some of the new models may available this fall. A side bar for non-builders: Phil has farmed out the rod building. He's also starting to use fittings from Joel Lemke. More info/more choices; the glossy 7' #3/4 has a softer tip than the matte 7' #3/4.
Current shop hours are 9-4 weekends. He'll expand his schedule to all week once trout season opens up in April.

Last edited by Anonymous on 14 Mar 2010, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post 14 Mar 2010, 03:03 • #2 
Master Guide
thanks for the update on phil's shop and rods. gonna give him a visit once the weather gets a little nicer, that area makes a great motorcycle ride destination, with a rod strapped on the back of course!

Post 19 Apr 2010, 02:44 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the update. I'd still like to get a 3 or 4 piece 3 wt. from him. Can you tell me how long the 7' matte/glossy has had different tip flex? I'm quite pleased with my 7' 3/4 matte finish!

Post 15 May 2010, 12:41 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Sorry I didn't spot this sooner ...
The glossy tip is a bit softer. More of a "dry fly" tip. The 7'6" 3/4 is fairly similar. Your matte finished rod is quicker than the 7'6" or glossy 7'. The variations are fairly recent. If you need a pack rod, there's a 7'3" 3/4 in a 4pc. If you like the matte 7', you may like the 7'6" or 8'0" #4/5. IMO ... a true 5wt. with lots of power.

Post 01 Aug 2010, 00:12 • #5 
Guide
Scud, does he still produce a catalog? I find the shop closed more than not.

Post 02 Aug 2010, 13:48 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Bruce,
His catalogues are old ... Try calling him early in the day or fax him.
Phil also says he's giving me a glass 7' 3/4wt. 8pc. to fish with next visit. I'm anxious to see how it compares to the 2pc. model.

Seems he listened to the comments from this board.
He's busy designing some multi-pc. glass rods. Best way to contact Phil during the summer is by fax. Just keep your letter to one page or less so he doesn't run out of paper! LOL!

New Topic Add Reply