It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:51

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Feb 2010, 23:00 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
I am a lucky owner of a L Kenney, 4 weight, 7'9''. It might be the perfect rod! Soft tip, nice progressive action, beautiful design and hardware. Can't wait to take it on the water!

Post 15 Feb 2010, 10:14 • #27 
Master Guide
Some pictures ... Image

Post 15 Feb 2010, 10:41 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice pictures Fred (and nice work, Larry)! I'm thinking a bronze Marryat Classic or CMR, an Orvis CFO, or a custom bronze Abel TR would look nice on one of those.

Post 15 Feb 2010, 11:05 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
The nicest reel match I've found for mine is a Hardy Golden JLH #5. It's almost perfect. Any of the Goldens will probably have anodizing that matches the hardware on the Kenney very well.

CrustyBugger

Post 16 Feb 2010, 10:18 • #30 
I have spent the past three years building a collection of almost 40 glass rods, almost exclusively from the modern makers, including Mike McFarland, Steffen, Lami, Hardy, Thomas & Thomas, Norie, Fred Paddock, Mario, Dwight Lyons, Scott and Larry Kenney.

In my opinion my 3 Larry Kenney Rods ( 7'3'' 3 weight, 7' 9'' 4 weight and 8' 3'' 5 weight) are at the very top of whats available to buy in todays market. Larry is a superb guy to deal with, I have been kept well informed of the progress of each of these three rods whilst he was building them. I cannot recommend Larry or his rods enough.

The best part is that it was Fred Paddock who recommended Larry to me last year, whilst I was dealing with him for his Norie Amberstar! Fred sure knows his tapers, which is why I also eagerly await some rods from Fred's new range.

Almost all of my collection has been bulit as a direct result of information gathered on this forum. So thanks guys.

ULSTER ROD

Post 16 Feb 2010, 10:35 • #31 
Master Guide
What are the prices of these rods? Is there a possibility of a wood seat insert?

Post 16 Feb 2010, 10:46 • #32 
$580 in 2010. for the 8' 1'' 3 weight.

When I was dealing with Larry, there was only cork on offer, which I was happy with, I think it complimented his rods. Having said that I didn't push for a wood insert.

ULSTER ROD

Post 16 Feb 2010, 11:17 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Larry kindly added me to his order book for a 794. Only cork inserts were offered, which was fine with me.

Post 16 Feb 2010, 11:30 • #34 
Master Guide
So, the looks are beautiful, yes. But, does anyone owning one mind writing a report/comparison on how they cast to other rods i.e. Steffen, Scott glass, McFarland Spruce Creek, Lyons, Hardy Perfection, Fenwick etc. faster or slower, medium action? I find comparisons give me a better idea of how a rod casts. Send me a PM if you must, if you don't want to post it here. Thanks.

Post 16 Feb 2010, 19:52 • #35 
Administrator
Here are the prices and model spec's as I understand them. I would comment more on the rod action, but I haven't been able to cast mine enough yet. My initial impression is not too fast and not too slow.

Tom
Rod Model Line Weight Rod Length Price
733#3 line7' 3"$550
831#3 line8' 1"$580
794#4 line7' 9"$560 / $575*
835DT4/WF58' 3"$580 / $595*
* Prices for sliding band reel seat and uplocking reelseat, respectively.

Please Note: I trimmed out a few posts in this thread that hijacked the topic to something other than the L. Kenney rods. The point of this forum is for rod builders to announce their new products and for forum members to direct questions to those rod builders. Thanks. Tom

Last edited by jgestar on 21 Feb 2010, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Feb 2010, 03:03 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
Hello

Larry Hat's Off To You!

Tight Lines and Spectacular Loops

Andy M

Post 17 Feb 2010, 05:41 • #37 
Master Guide
Crusty,
I wouldn't come after ya.Image But, asking a few simple questions like,
"I'm curious about two things ... Price? and any[i] chance a wood reel sea insert could/will be added?" AND "But, does anyone owning one mind writing a report/comparison on how they cast to other rods i.e. Steffen, Scott glass, McFarland Spruce Creek, Lyons, Hardy Perfection, Fenwick etc. faster or slower, medium action?" doesn't require a dissertation or one's overweening on the matter ... But, I forgot how "important" some people are Image ... for me it's best to keep it simple Image ... I agree, it's comical as well, too. Image[/i]

Thanks for the prices and comparisons. And I understand there will be no wood reel seat insert. Whew ...

Last edited by Boo on 17 Feb 2010, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Feb 2010, 06:13 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Boo, who you may be referring to is me so I'll answer. I apologize if I offended you. I didn't realize you may have special needs. Would a summary in the beginning or at the end help? I see you like lots of smilies. If extra pictures would help I can do that too, whatever it takes for us to act nice and not flame. I'm more than happy to help.

CrustyBugger

Post 17 Feb 2010, 06:44 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
As a long time Scott Rod fan, I was very happy to see that Larry decided to make a limited selection of rods of his own design. I jumped at the chance and ordered his 8'1" #3 - hope to get it in June. With his long and varied experience, there is no question that Larry is a true "master of glass".

CrustyBugger, I actually have seen a glass Wojnicki that was post sanded to alter the action. That one might be rare and of course isn't the only way Mario modifies rod action - my para Wojnickis have reverse butt tapers. No matter what voodoo Mario employs, to me his para rods are extraordinary. BTW, CB, I think I hear hornets. Image

Post 17 Feb 2010, 06:51 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Now THAT'S good constructive information, Duff. Thanks for the post sanding info that Wojnicki does.

CrustyBugger

Post 17 Feb 2010, 07:19 • #41 
Administrator
If we are going to have a feisty discussion of who prefers what rod action, or how other rod makers accomplish their design objectives, we should do it as a separate thread in the Fishing forum. That's a perfectly acceptable topic as long as it stays civil (please don't get TOO feisty). That said, the main purpose of the What's New forum is discussions specific to a particular product line. In this case, we should be discussing the L. Kenney rods. Boo's question about how does an L. Kenney fly rod compare to other well respected fly rods is valid.

Boo and others interested in the feel of a Kenney rod, you don't know how much I want to get outside and test cast this rod. My initial short range test was very interesting. However, the weather in Kansas City has left a nasty mixture of snow and mud on the ground. The last thing I'm going to do with a shiny new rod is test cast it in the mud. I love you guys and all, but not THAT much. Years back I was too hasty to test cast a rod I worked long and hard on. I brought it out in nasty conditions and scuffed up the varnish on several wraps. That was a rookie mistake that I don't intend to repeat.

Tom

Post 17 Feb 2010, 07:32 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
You are correct sir. Thank you for the redirection.

CrustyBugger

Post 17 Feb 2010, 08:32 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
I'll enjoy your report, Tom, and thanks for keeping us on track, wide as it may be. I admire your patience and wisdom in holding off the test. Just this moment I am holding off trying two rods all but finished--building in the winter should help so everything sets and the varnish hardens to the max--for exactly the reason you stated, and very similar past history when impulse overcame better judgment.

Post 20 Feb 2010, 11:41 • #44 
Guide
Gents
Just a quick heads up. My build list has grown rapidly, to the point where a rod ordered today is likely not to be delivered until mid or late summer. Cancellations or order changes may make for exceptions, but I'd hate to promise what I can't deliver. Sorry if I incovenience anyone, but as I mentioned, this isn't a day job, and fishing season is approaching for me too.
Best regards,
Larry Kenney
***email address removed***

Post 20 Feb 2010, 15:53 • #45 
Master Guide
If you are at late summer it almost time for me to order ... I needed a cushion to get my funds in order. I knew you would load up with orders pretty quick.

Post 27 Feb 2010, 21:00 • #46 
Master Guide
I've cast quite a few of Larry's new rods and protos and have the 8'3" 5 wt. and 8'1" 3 wt. The 5 wt. is a super smooth medium progressive action rod that almost casts itself at my normal fishing range of 30-40'. It's also very good at short range and can also reach out to 50' or more if needed. Tip is soft enough to handle 7X and midges and the butt strong enough to cast larger or heavier flies if needed. The 3 wt. is a real marvel with nice smooth but positive medium action for such a long light line rod. Clearly a specialty rod for small flies and fairly calm conditions - light and lively - a very practical spring creek-type rod. Cosmetics are clean, understated and very attractive. Larry's workmanship is meticulous. The whole package is very much top of the line.

Post 27 Mar 2010, 10:12 • #47 
Master Guide
Well, couldn't stand it. I just received a 794 from Larry today.

Wow! Wonderful taper ... very sweet progressive feel, but a crisp recovery for a 4wt glass rod. Outstanding flex profile in my opinion ... and beautiful, too. I'm very impressed, and think this is going to be about the perfect 4wt for this length.
Very nice work on the blank design, finish work, ferruling, grip and reel seat. Whew! Thanks, Larry!

Post 28 Mar 2010, 04:13 • #48 
Master Guide
The 794 is the one I have on order--due in my eager hands in a few months, I hope!
-CC

Post 13 Aug 2010, 04:22 • #49 
Sport
Just got my 7'9" 4 wt. What reel are people matching it up with?

Post 13 Aug 2010, 06:53 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Gutta Percha wrote:
Just got my 7'9" 4 wt. What reel are people matching it up with?
Bronze Abel TR2

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply