It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:49

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Aug 2010, 07:46 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
[b]tabornatives wrote:[/b]
Bronze Abel TR2
tabornatives, very nice combination. Another option with the same type of complementary color scheme would be a Marryat similar to the some shown on the "Fishing with Fiberglass Fly Rods" forum.

Post 13 Aug 2010, 08:03 • #52 
Glass Fanatic
rewynd wrote:
Quote:
[b]tabornatives wrote:[/b]
Bronze Abel TR2
tabornatives, very nice combination. Another option with the same type of complementary color scheme would be a Marryat similar to the some shown on the "Fishing with Fiberglass Fly Rods" forum.
Quote:
rewynd,
Quote:
Yes I had that reel as well and sold it to Skalkaho. It was a tough choice.

Post 13 Aug 2010, 08:47 • #53 
Administrator
Damn ... with all this hype over Fred's "Lemon Drop" rods, Kab's beauties, and the new Scott rods I had almost forgotten about the Kenney creations. I need one of those too!

Post 14 Aug 2010, 00:04 • #54 
Master Guide
Something a little different, but would look and feel good on one of Larry's rods ...
ImageImageImageImage

Post 14 Aug 2010, 06:39 • #55 
Master Guide
I just received my 733-3 (I know my original order was for a 794-3, but the delayed blanks gave me time to change my mind) in my hot little hands a couple of hours ago--wow, what a sweet rod! Color, cork work, fit, finish all are superb, and this little two ounce jewel casts short with tight loops and accuracy, long with grace and control, and in between just does it all. A perfect small water topwater rod! Now I need one of those brass-trimmed (not the too-heavy brass framed) Kineya's to go with it. My gray-green old CFOs just don't do the rod justice, and tackle addiction must be constantly seeking stronger stuff! Of course, I'll now have to get either a 794-3 or an 835-3, too.
CC

Post 14 Aug 2010, 09:49 • #56 
Sport
Fred, Is your brown hardware the same color as kenney's? Can you post a photo of one of your rods with the brown handle hardware with a kineya reel? Which matches the best? I'm thinking maybe the brown skeleton type reel? Thanks for any help.

Post 14 Aug 2010, 10:01 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
GP,

Here is a side by side of Fred's Bronze hardware and Larry's.

HTHs,
Rich

Post 14 Aug 2010, 10:26 • #58 
Sport
tab, thanks for the photo comparison. Which reels you putting on them? I will obsess over the need for a good looking set.

Post 14 Aug 2010, 10:50 • #59 
Glass Fanatic
GP,

In a photo above I have a Bronze TR 2 set up with a 4wt line for Larry's rod. I purchased the seat and spacer from Fred and used it on a little Steffen. It looks very nice. I match it up with a black Abel Creek. I had a bronze Marryat 7.5 that looked very nice as well but sold it to Skalkaho. To be honest, basic gloss black looks as good as anything against the bronze hardware.

I haven't cast this rod in a while so I just strung it up a went down to the brook for a little apres dinner casting. It is really nice. Next summer I'll have to take it out to the Bitterroots with me.

Rich

Last edited by tabornatives on 14 Aug 2010, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Aug 2011, 18:52 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
I'm waiting for a 8'6'', 6wt from Larry. It should be on it's way to Cameron at the moment. This is of Larry's new, heavier tapers. The 6wt is available in both 8'3'' and 8'6''. I was looking for a longer rod, and I guess this taper will suit my needs well. I decided to place the order for this rod after having fished my 794 last summer. First I ordered the 8'3, 4/5wt, but when Larry told me about the new tapers I changed my mind. The new heavier rods are built on a different mandrel than the older models. According to Larry, they are a bit faster.

I will post some pics soon.

Post 28 Aug 2011, 00:02 • #61 
Sport
how do you get on the list or is there a Private message function , not familier with yuku and couldn't find how to PM anyone..

Post 28 Aug 2011, 00:08 • #62 
Glass Fanatic
Tajue17 wrote:
how do you get on the list or is there a Private message function , not familier with yuku and couldn't find how to PM anyone..

***email address removed***

Post 08 Sep 2011, 23:55 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
Today I finally received my 8'6'', 6wt. It was worth the wait.

The new heavier rods from Mr Kenney fills a gap on the market. I already own the 7'9'', 4wt, and you can feel certain a resemblance between the two tapers. These are smooth casters, and the 4wt is a superb presentation rod for dry flies. The 6wt comes in two lengths, and this one is the longer. This gives the rod a very special character, and I wold say this is the limit for a 6wt in fiberglass before it gets tip heavy. The 8'3'' is problably a more balanced rod, which makes it more easy to use. But on the other hand, if you have the right tracking and listen to the rod, the 8'6'' is a beast.

I have been fishing with Fred's 8'3'', 6wt a lot, and the line choice would be about the same. But the 3'' difference makes this a totally different rod. It's a very powerful caster with lot of reserve in the butt section. I would say it's capableof handling steelies, at least when the condition is right. I'm going to use it as a streamer rod for seatrout, large brown trout and boat fishing.

My rod has a fighting butt and an uplock threaded bronze seat with a rosewood spacer. Understated, well proportioned and with a lot of personality. I will upload some pics soon.

Chris

Post 09 Sep 2011, 08:36 • #64 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds very nice Chris. Any talk about streamer rods gets my attention. Looking forward to your pix!

Post 11 Sep 2011, 06:08 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
chform wrote:
Today I finally received my 8'6'', 6wt. It was worth the wait.

The new heavier rods from Mr Kenney fills a gap on the market. I already own the 7'9'', 4wt, and you can feel certain a resemblance between the two tapers. These are smooth casters, and the 4wt is a superb presentation rod for dry flies. The 6wt comes in two lengths, and this one is the longer. This gives the rod a very special character, and I wold say this is the limit for a 6wt in fiberglass before it gets tip heavy. The 8'3'' is problably a more balanced rod, which makes it more easy to use. But on the other hand, if you have the right tracking and listen to the rod, the 8'6'' is a beast.

I have been fishing with Fred's 8'3'', 6wt a lot, and the line choice would be about the same. But the 3'' difference makes this a totally different rod. It's a very powerful caster with lot of reserve in the butt section. I would say it's capableof handling steelies, at least when the condition is right. I'm going to use it as a streamer rod for seatrout, large brown trout and boat fishing.

My rod has a fighting butt and an uplock threaded bronze seat with a rosewood spacer. Understated, well proportioned and with a lot of personality. I will upload some pics soon.

Chris
Nice review Chris,
This made me want to get a 6 wt immediately!
looking forward to your further photos and report!
thanks for the report!

Mark

Post 11 Sep 2011, 06:32 • #66 
Glass Fanatic
Great review-I have a Kenney 8'3" 6/7 prototype.Like Chris' rod this one is an excellent 6 wt., capable of casting big streamers effortlessly. It will also load a 6 or7 line close in and is great as a nymphing rod on big water. When I bought this rod from Mr. Kenney he told me he loves to fish big streamers with glass. It certainly shows in his 6 and 7 weight rods.

Post 13 Sep 2011, 08:13 • #67 
Glass Fanatic
Here are some pics, lads!

http://fiberglassflyrodde ... pic/18241/Kenney-8-6-6wt

Post 26 Nov 2011, 20:43 • #68 
Glass Fanatic
Just to report I got my 8ft 1in 3wt from Larry early this summer and it fast became almost a daily tool in the Golden Trout Wilderness, an awsome rod, truely worth the wait.
Richard

Post 27 Nov 2011, 20:28 • #69 
Master Guide
... beautiful! ... glass is a gas! ...

Post 13 Apr 2012, 21:05 • #70 
Master Guide

Post 13 Apr 2012, 21:07 • #71 
Master Guide
Figured I would add these pictures to this thread. It is a great reference thread for those considering a Kenney. This is a great rod, can hardly wait to get it on the water!

Post 13 Apr 2012, 21:28 • #72 
Master Guide
And I'm glad you did add them, Spencer.

Post 14 Apr 2012, 12:37 • #73 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for sharing those photos, Spencer. Larry builds such a beautiful rod. The great thing is that they all have a signature look. You know who built it just by looking at it, much like a Claudio, Winston, Howells, etc.

Please give us a fishing report when you can.

Post 14 Apr 2012, 14:53 • #74 
Glass Fanatic
I would like to see that rod again with a brown trout reaching two hands past the end of the grip. I can wait until the hex hatch if need be. It is a brown trout color scheme, see.

Post 14 Apr 2012, 15:43 • #75 
Master Guide
The rod has a 16" and 22" measurement wraps. I plan on getting to the second measurement wrap with this rod ASAP. I took the rod out today to a local retention pond that I have never fished. I am always tempted to fish this pond but never found the time. Took along the Kenney though I knew I would be slinging rather heavy streamers and had the reel lined with the heavy DT4.5 line. The rod handled the streamers no problem. This rod has surprising backbone for E-Glass. This rod is the perfect compliment to my other glass rods. My trout line up feels nearly complete. 7' 4/5 Lamiglas S-Glass, 7.5' 4/5 Lamiglas S-Glass, 7'9" Steffen 5/6 and Kenney 8'3" 4/5. Here are some pics. Honestly the best rod to compare this rod to would be Scott G rods but it still feels like glass and is soooo much nicer to look at. I don't know any other way to explain the way it feels to me. I have always been a fan of the original Scott graphite rods so it is a good fit for me. Caught a bunch of small bass ...

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply