It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:26

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Apr 2012, 21:34 • #76 
Glass Fanatic
Congrats again on the Kenney! It looks like you are putting it to good use already.

Post 14 Apr 2012, 22:11 • #77 
Master Guide
Thanks Pete. Still need to load it up with a WF5, don't have a WF5 spooled up at the moment but will soon. Strange, first time in a long time, I don't have one on a reel right now.

Post 22 Aug 2012, 08:12 • #78 
Glass Fanatic
Here's a special rod from Larrys shop. He has had problems with the blanks recently, which has left him with a batch of bad blanks. I asked him if he could make at least some stuff from these blanks, and he offered me this rod.

It's a 7'9'', 5wt, made as a 5pc rod. The action is very similar to the other rods in Larrys series. Smooth, progressive action, excellent roll caster. This rod is listed as a 5wt, but I would say it's more like a 4/5wt, thanks to the soft butt section. The good thing with this rod is the 5pc configuration. The bad thing is that it's a one-off. At least that's what the story behind it tells me. But who knows, maybe Larry will introduce 5pc as an option. Definitely worth asking, if you are about to order.

Post 22 Aug 2012, 09:04 • #79 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice, Chris! I like how you did that one. I too got one of Larry's one-off blanks - a 7'6" 3 piece 5 weight. I haven't started it but, just a few test wraps. What thread did you end up using?

Post 22 Aug 2012, 09:08 • #80 
Master Guide
CBarclay,

It looks like Larry built the rod for Christian.

Post 22 Aug 2012, 09:24 • #81 
Glass Fanatic
Doh, coffee hasn't set in yet. I see that now!

Post 22 Aug 2012, 15:17 • #82 
Glass Fanatic
Ha! Chris, thanks for the compliment! :hat

I wish I had made this one, but this rod comes from the master himself. It has been said earlier in this thread, but it's worth repeating. Larry really has a fantastic signature look on his builds, and with respect to that, I would not try to replicate it.

I got an extra blank aswell, a 7'6''-7'8''ish, 5wt in 3pc config. Could it be similar to yours? I have not figured out yet how to build it. Dark yellow thread? I have no idea ...

Look forward to see your build.

Chris

Post 22 Aug 2012, 19:43 • #83 
Guide
chform wrote:
Here's a special rod from Larrys shop. He has had problems with the blanks recently, which has left him with a batch of bad blanks. I asked him if he could make at least some stuff from these blanks, and he offered me this rod.

It's a 7'9'', 5wt, made as a 5pc rod. The action is very similar to the other rods in Larrys series. Smooth, progressive action, excellent roll caster. This rod is listed as a 5wt, but I would say it's more like a 4/5wt, thanks to the soft butt section. The good thing with this rod is the 5pc configuration. The bad thing is that it's a one-off. At least that's what the story behind it tells me. But who knows, maybe Larry will introduce 5pc as an option. Definitely worth asking, if you are about to order.

WOW ... That's fantastic works! Great photo too!

Post 19 Nov 2012, 14:32 • #84 
Sport
I have a Kenny 8.3ft. rod. It could be the nicest, best casting rod I own and he could be the finest person I've dealt with.

Post 08 Mar 2013, 23:41 • #85 
Guide
My new Kenney 8'1" 3wt arrived today. WOW! This rod has not gotten the praise it deserves. this is an incredible, very versatile stick. An absolute 3 wt. that can throw a long line no problem and it cast extremely well, loads deeply and is very accurate. When you put a little "umph" into the casts, the loop tightens up and it still tracks very well. When I do this with my T&T heirloom 3 wt., the cast falls apart. Now I still love that rod but it is far from versatile. I bought the 813 from Larry with the hopes of taking it high into WY backcountry for some lake and stream fishing. During the year I waited for the rod I fell under the assumption that it would be a noodle and almost changed my order. I am so very glad I didnt. This IS the exact rod I had originally imagined and could not be happier.I cannot wait to land many cutts from the alpine country! Amazing finish work, and a very fun rod. high praise to Larry, well worth the wait.
Shane

Post 09 Mar 2013, 08:36 • #86 
Glass Fanatic
Shane, that is one rod review that tempts me to place a rod order.

Post 10 Mar 2013, 13:57 • #87 
Glass Fanatic
Pupnik wrote:
I have a Kenny 8.3ft. rod. It could be the nicest, best casting rod I own and he could be the finest person I've dealt with.

I don't own that rod, but I'll second that Larry is the finest kind.

Post 20 Mar 2013, 01:30 • #88 
Sport
ok ... I guess I need a few of these

Post 05 Apr 2013, 17:33 • #89 
Master Guide
With all of the problems people are having with some rod makers, there are so many others to choose from who won't cause you any stress or anxiety over when or if a rod is going to be delivered, repaired, etc. One I know best is Larry Kenney. Larry's knowledge of rod design, casting and fishing is tremendous. He has his own mandrels, designs and blanks and is a meticulous craftsman. His rods are outstanding casters, finished beautifully and tastefully. Best of all, he's a great guy to deal with, as anyone who's bought one of his rods will tell you.

I've fished Larry's 8'3" 5 wt. and 8'1" 3 wt. quite a few hours and I'm sure landed several hundred fish over 16" on them. Both are superb fishing rods and come without any drama.

Post 05 Apr 2013, 17:53 • #90 
Master Guide
16pmd wrote:
With all of the problems people are having with some rod makers, there are so many others to choose from who won't cause you any stress or anxiety over when or if a rod is going to be delivered, repaired, etc. One I know best is Larry Kenney. Larry's knowledge of rod design, casting and fishing is tremendous. He has his own mandrels, designs and blanks and is a meticulous craftsman. His rods are outstanding casters, finished beautifully and tastefully. Best of all, he's a great guy to deal with, as anyone who's bought one of his rods will tell you.

I've fished Larry's 8'3" 5 wt. and 8'1" 3 wt. quite a few hours and I'm sure landed several hundred fish over 16" on them. Both are superb fishing rods and come without any drama.

Herein lies one of the missed treats of Larry's rods. A lot of people know of the CTS/Kenney connection, but it is not as well known fact that they have Larry's own mandrels and all of his rods are rolled on them to his design. Buying a CTS blank is in no way similar to buying a rod from one of the nicest guys in the rod making trade.

Post 05 Apr 2013, 21:55 • #91 
Master Guide
Agreed ... Larry is an awesome rod designer and craftsman, and a pleasure to deal with.

I have several Kenney fiberglass rods, and think they are all exceptional fishing rods. As nice as they look and as nice as they cast, they fish even better.

Post 30 Jun 2013, 11:51 • #92 
Master Guide
Like Nativetrout said, the Kenney 813 definitely has not gotten the praise it deserves. This is a very special rod, as is the Kenney 733 and all the rest.

I fished the 813 on Thursday on an upper tributary of a wild native westslope cutthroat stream. It's a big creek by almost any standards right now, but the water levels will drop considerably throughout the rest of the year. I caught a lot of cutthroat, including 5 big natives on dry flies that were absolutely beautiful. One of the finest days of fishing dries I've had in a several years, and the rod just blew me away.

This rod would fish smaller nymphs and even small streamers as well, but all I fished were dries and soft hackles. A versatile 3wt glass rod that is silky smooth. Wow!

* On a side note, I fished the Kenney 733 on a slightly smaller upper tributary of the same cutthroat stream on Friday. I caught a lot of cutthroat again, but most were on soft hackles, with only a few on dries this time. Only hooked one big native of about 18" and 2.5 lbs., but lost it when the hook pulled out. No fault of the 733, and it was very fun and interesting for about a minute there. Anyway, the 733 is also a fantastic rod. It is a total blast on smaller waters, but is also much more versatile than many would think.

A couple of great days of fishing with the Kenney 3wt's.

-----------------------------------
nativetrout wrote:
My new Kenney 8'1" 3wt arrived today. WOW! This rod has not gotten the praise it deserves. this is an incredible, very versatile stick. An absolute 3 wt. that can throw a long line no problem and it cast extremely well, loads deeply and is very accurate. When you put a little "umph" into the casts, the loop tightens up and it still tracks very well. When I do this with my T&T heirloom 3 wt., the cast falls apart. Now I still love that rod but it is far from versatile. I bought the 813 from Larry with the hopes of taking it high into WY backcountry for some lake and stream fishing. During the year I waited for the rod I fell under the assumption that it would be a noodle and almost changed my order. I am so very glad I didnt. This IS the exact rod I had originally imagined and could not be happier.I cannot wait to land many cutts from the alpine country! Amazing finish work, and a very fun rod. high praise to Larry, well worth the wait.
Shane

Post 29 Nov 2016, 14:33 • #93 
Sport
Hello everyone,
I have been visiting this wonderful forum admiring the beautiful fiberglass rods and reading up on various makers and models, finally I went ahead and bought my first fiberglass rod. I made my choice mainly based on the info I found here and I was not disappointed! The Larry Kenney 836 is truly a great rod and feels like a good introduction to glass!

Since I truly enjoy watching pictures of rod and reel combinations shared here I thought I´d post some pictures of a combination of my own. Of the three reels, the Abel big game #1 solid spool is my favourite, it balances the rod nicely! The other two are not far behind though..

Tight Lines!

ImageImage

Post 29 Nov 2016, 14:51 • #94 
Sport
Nice combo!

Post 29 Nov 2016, 17:57 • #95 
Guide
Very nice combo VAK, I'm not sure which is more impressive the rod or that beautiful collection of reel!

Post 30 Nov 2016, 03:07 • #96 
Sport
Thanx guys, bought the Abel reel directly from Steve or should I say his wife Gina who seems to manage things. The Pate took a long time to track down but man is it a sweet reel!

All the best!

Post 30 Nov 2016, 12:52 • #97 
Master Guide
sweet setup!

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply