It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:22

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply
FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 11 Dec 2010, 14:38 • #101 
Master Guide
kinzua - the guides are made from a quality spring wire, the feet are pressed with a hydraulic press, the feet are dressed, and then they are blued. It's the same wire that has been used before they were guides available at stores. I made the wire forming tools and the forms to prep the guide feet.

I would say that dirty fly lines and saltwater would wear the guides prematurely, but I wouldn't recommend my trout rods for saltwater or dirty fly lines ... Under normal use, they will hold up very well. Some bluing will wear down in time, just as some types of plating use on commercial guides today. In all, chrome plating is the most durable and practical for snake guides and REC's Recoil (titanium alloy) are very durable. I know many rods out there that have handmade snake guides, like the ones I'm doing, that have seen a lot of time on the water for the last 15 years.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 18 Dec 2010, 13:02 • #102 
Master Guide
Here's one of my 'new' toys ... the good old South Bend lathe. My helper in creating some new stuff. In the works are reel seat hardware and rod tube hardware. I plan to start playing around with a reel design, as I have some more time, but that would just be a hobby for me.
ImageImageImage

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 18 Dec 2010, 13:55 • #103 
Sport
Fred, nice lathe now i'm searching for one like that ... did you say the craftsman lathes were the same?

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 18 Dec 2010, 14:03 • #104 
Glass Fanatic
Fred, if you're not careful, you're going to start wanting to build your own fish next. :-)

Have you thought about making your own fly line?

Carl

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 18 Dec 2010, 19:48 • #105 
Administrator
Wow! Beautiful Model C. It looks like an early model in really great condition.

tcpits, The Sears Craftsman lathes were built by Atlas. The example photos in Garrison's book were of a 10" Atlas. They are nice machines, but not quite in the class of the South Bends. For the ultimate lathe identification resource, check out Tony Griffith's Lathe Page. It's good for determining if a potential acquisition has all the parts. Keep an eye on your local Craig's list. Unlike Sherlines and Unimats, most sellers won't ship an Atlas or South Bend. As a result, you can be aggressive with your bargaining.

Tom

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 19 Dec 2010, 00:39 • #106 
Master Guide
OMG a new fishing affliction - lathe envy!

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 20 Dec 2010, 14:07 • #107 
Guide
South Bends are nice lathes, the smaller ones aren't easy to find. I was a machinery broker for quite a few years in the textile industry and saw my share of big lathes (think 12 foot beds). Getting one skidded and loaded on a flatbed or a container was no easy task, they were heavy. It's great to see one put to a noble use ...

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 21 Dec 2010, 02:36 • #108 
Master Guide
JB - I was fortunate in finding this lathe ... it came with a complete gear change and a few idlers up to 102 tooth. I look forward to working with the lathe. Now that I have some materials for reel seats (nickel silver), rod tube hardware (360 brass), and even playing around with a fly reel (6061 aluminum, 303 stainless, and a material I wish to keep as a surprise for the spool). It will be interesting and challenging to create those designs that have been floating around in my head ... something different than we normally see everyday. I get to thank my customers for giving my the 'go ahead' in creating something unique for their rods.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 21 Dec 2010, 14:09 • #109 
Guide
Congratulations! Your lathe looks more poweful than mine.
I'd like you to introduce "Nagao-lab" http://nagao-kenkyusyo.de-blog.jp/58/cat5811504/index.html. They provides innovative cutting tool for rod builder.
They produce it for any type of lathe. I'm using their products for my Sherline.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 29 Dec 2010, 01:23 • #110 
Sport
Just got my "Lemon Drop" blank from Fred. A 7'9" stunner. Wow!

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 29 Dec 2010, 03:38 • #111 
Guide
I got a 703-3 dark brown series rod from Fred before Christmas. A fantastic action, built light with very elegant appointments.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 01 Jan 2011, 19:56 • #112 
Fred is working on my new 8'3" 6wt now. I am excited to see this rod! New to glass and have purchased a few rods, haven't really found anything I really like.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 02 Jan 2011, 04:51 • #113 
Glass Fanatic
fishfly wrote:
Fred is working on my new 8'3" 6wt now. I am excited to see this rod! New to glass and have purchased a few rods, haven't really found anything I really like.

what have you tried and what might you be looking for?

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 02 Jan 2011, 06:03 • #114 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know much about these rods --- what kind of taper is that 8'3" 6wt blank?

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 02 Jan 2011, 06:15 • #115 
I guess weight is my main issue. I know these rods will generally weigh more, although I see more modern rods that are very light. I have a T&T and a Great Bay that don't do much for me. I haven't cast the Great Bay just doesn't feel right to me in my hand. Fished the Heirloom 8' 4wt two times it's okay, it just doesn't feel like I think any premium rod should feel, it's kind of beefy for a 4wt.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 13 Jan 2011, 14:11 • #116 
Glass Fanatic
Waiting on my Lemon Drop, but let me say this, Ive picked up a couple of Freds rods and thus far the track true to weight with my tired or arm and available reels and lines, Im really looking forward to my Lemon drop, Fred's rods I think in time will join some of the greats of fly rod custom makers. Thanks again Fred, your 5wt is absolutely perfect for my casting abilities.
Richard

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 14 Jan 2011, 09:49 • #117 
Guide
The 836-3 is a progressive taper, a very smooth and powerful rod that has nice touch up close.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 14 Jan 2011, 12:53 • #118 
Master Guide
I'll take 2.9 oz of character in Fred's rod before 2.5 oz of broomstick any day of the week.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 19 Apr 2011, 01:21 • #119 
Master Guide
A few new things coming for FH Paddock Fly Rods ...

The brown series will be undergoing a color change to gloss black ... and be on the website as "black". The taper will have a slight change, but still be based as a medium action. A full action that has good reserve and casts a straight and smooth line. The models in the lineup are: 7'0"-#3-3pc., 7'6"-#4-3pc., 8'0"-#4-3pc., 8'0"-#5-3pc., and 8'3"-#6-3pc. These blanks are tip over butt ferrules and are extremely durable. The black series will have high quality components and a spartan look, just good fishing tools. The appointments for this series is a REC LCRNS (nickel silver) cap and ring reel seat for the 703, 764, and 804. A Struble D-1 for the 805 and 836. The wood inserts will be cherry from the lathe. The guides will be a Mildrum MRF with Perfection chrome. The thread will be "gold fish" orange with a low build epoxy. All the models will have a hand shaped flor grade cork from my lathe. They will come in a khaki rod bag with a "black on black" aluminum rod tube.

The lemon drop series will remain the same, they will be offered as: 7'0", 7'3", 7'6", and 7'9" in a 3wt taper. 7'4", 7'7", 7'11" in a 4wt taper. They will be available as a 2pc. or 3pc. The lemon drop series is spigot ferrules, configured in house. I can do custom configurations, but that would be on a case by case basis. The lemon drop series will have a standardized component appointments, like the black series. This series will have tipping throughout. The lemon drop series will be appointed with a REC LCRNS reel seat with a curly maple insert from the lathe. The guides will be a Midrum MRF with Snake Brand bronze guides, the tip top will be in black nickel finish by Snake Brand. The thread will be "yellowfin" yellow with "hot orange" tipping, the finish will be a low build epoxy. Cork is flor grade, hand turned. They will come in a yellow rod bag and a "gold (hardware) on black" aluminum rod tube.

I have another model that will be coming out soon ... this rod is called "The One". It's a 7'10"-3pc., designed as a 4wt. It's a very capable taper and handles lines from 3-6wt. I found it best with a 4wt or 5wt line. "The One" has a wonderful color to it and a great feel. It will be ready to show soon. If there is enough interest and demand in this rod, I plan to add another taper with this color. A 8'4"-3pc., designed as a 5wt. I will update the rod appointments for this series soon ...

I will make all efforts to keep a standardization of rod appointments, this will help keep the prices down on the builds without compromise to quality and craftsmanship. I hope to have a more streamline delivery time, though it's a few months ... it's still a little waiting period.

If there's any interest, I will be accepting pre-orders. Once the list gets to an "almost out of control number" ... I will have to stop taking orders.

All the rod appointments are set and the models will (hopefully) get started to show up on the website soon enough. I won't be stocking a large numbers of blanks. I will offer varnish as an option to the finish, as well as custom work.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 25 Apr 2011, 01:48 • #120 
Master Guide
Here's a quick photo of "The One".
Poor lighting, but it's a mahogany translucent blank, like a ripe chestnut.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 25 Apr 2011, 03:51 • #121 
Master Guide
Awesome looking, Can't wait to see pictures of a complete built up one. Awesome job, Fred!

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 25 Apr 2011, 03:54 • #122 
Master Guide
Awesome looking, Can't wait to see pictures of a complete built up one. Awesome job, Fred!

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 31 Jul 2011, 23:40 • #123 
Master Guide
Has anyone casted The One? If so any thoughts or comparisons? Appearance wise they are awesome and Fred's standards are at the highest levels in rod building for any medium. I have also found his analysis of his rods' action to be spot on. Just curious if anyone has picked up these special looking rods. Thanks

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 01 Aug 2011, 07:00 • #124 
Hello All

I am the very proud owner of Fred's ''TheOne''.

Always look forward to a new arrival from Fred and as usual I was not disappointed. It is quite simply a superb rod. I fished it on my local stream, the River Lagan( it runs into Belfast) last night with a SAGE Quiet Taper DT5 and was making short casts in the range of 10 -15 feet with it.Its right up there with my very best and will, I think be a go to rod because it is very versatile across the 4-5 weight range with both drys and nymphs.
A lovely accurate rod capable of much more, but just wanted to give some first impressions.

DARRYL MOONEY

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 13 Sep 2011, 12:45 • #125 
Master Guide
As a note ... the model name The One was created by me well before any press releases or knowledge of Sage's new model One ...

Since Sage's trademark lawyer has sent me a message to urge me not to use The One name ... I will not be using The One name, it's not as important to me, as to it is to others ... I just want to build rods that others can appreciate and enjoy, to build memories with ...

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply