It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:21

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 New Topic Add Reply
FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 13 Sep 2011, 12:55 • #126 
Glass Fanatic
Fred, Well said. It's not worth the hassle.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 13 Sep 2011, 15:30 • #127 
Glass Fanatic
fred1369 wrote:
As a note ... the model name The One was created by me well before any press releases or knowledge of Sage's new model One ...

Since Sage's trademark lawyer has sent me a message to urge me not to use The One name ... I will not be using The One name, it's not as important to me, as to it is to others ... I just want to build rods that others can appreciate and enjoy, to build memories with ...

It sucks that you had to cave in, knowing that Sage could out spend you in the legal system to win that test of endurance. While I live near Sage HQ and have owned a few of their rods in the past, I'm kinda getting sick of them (mostly their wild marketing claims), and this just piles onto that loss of goodwill.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 13 Sep 2011, 15:56 • #128 
Glass Fanatic
[b wrote:
[b]Lugan123[/b][/b]]
[b wrote:
[b]fred1369[/b][/b]]As a note ... the model name The One was created by me well before any press releases or knowledge of Sage's new model One ...

Since Sage's trademark lawyer has sent me a message to urge me not to use The One name ... I will not be using The One name, it's not as important to me, as to it is to others ... I just want to build rods that others can appreciate and enjoy, to build memories with ...
It sucks that you had to cave in, knowing that Sage could out spend you in the legal system to win that test of endurance. While I live near Sage HQ and have owned a few of their rods in the past, I'm kinda getting sick of them (mostly their wild marketing claims), and this just piles onto that loss of goodwill.
Fred, you are clearly the classy one (pardon the pun) in this situation. I particularly like your last sentence (and especially the part about building memories). Way to take the high road.

I have never been a big fan of Sage (with the one (again, pardon the pun) exception of their old LL series rods). Trying to strong arm you through their lawyer is disappointing. They are off my Christmas (wish) list.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 13 Sep 2011, 17:22 • #129 
Master Guide
I don't buy sage anymore, haven't for a long time. But I won't buy it ever again!

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 14 Sep 2011, 00:34 • #130 
Master Guide
"Konnetic Technology
Says Sage: "œKonnetic Technology combines proprietary aerospace-grade materials with innovative manufacturing methods and processes. The impossibly lighter rods built utilising this technology provide ultimate line control and accuracy due to enhanced tip-to-hand sensitivity and feedback, yet still retain Sage's renowned power and durability.

"œKonnetic Technology incorporates an optimised ratio of Sage's proprietary resin to carbon fibre with our Advanced Modulus Positioning System (AMPS), a process that places the carbon materials to exacting tolerances for the greatest blank strength and efficient energy transfer throughout the shaft. "œUsing our High Compression Molding (HCM) process, the blank's carbon fibres are compacted for optimum density and precise alignment, simultaneously fusing the 50% lighter all-carbon fibre inner core."

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 14 Sep 2011, 01:34 • #131 
Master Guide
The " " process is nothing new ... look at split cane with aligned power fibers, Phillipson's use of uni-directional glass, and CTS' rolling process with graphite, they have been aligning fibers this way for years ... The resins change over time ... and, of course, the fly rod technology is enhanced ... The oldest rod in the world is last years model to marketing.

We as fisherman, just want to get away from the everyday doldrums, absorb the scenery, and catch a few fish! We can do that with most any rod ... and preference of a rod is what each person has chosen individually. There are so many good rodbuilders and rodmakers out there, they have a passion for their craft. Their biggest rewards are when a customer shares their memories that are remembered through a rod the builder or maker made.

My first split cane rod as a maker was donated to a disabled veteran, to get him out of the hospital and on the water. To me, that is far more important than a name of a rod, trademarks, and marketing ...

It's the experience of getting outdoors and becoming a part of it all ... not the equipment. It's a pleasure to have nice equipment that has been built with care, but the time on the water, the friends you meet along the way, and the memories are the true way to enlightenment.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 14 Sep 2011, 08:54 • #132 
Master Guide
Well said ... Fred. I can't of said it any better!

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 14 Sep 2011, 09:42 • #133 
Master Guide
Let me say I own Sage rods and Freds rods. Enjoy fishing them both, and enjoy all levels of the industry from the big guns that drive R&D to the small one man shops. With that said, feel I need to defend Sage a bit on this one.

Trademark and Copyright law are a critical function of the free market. It is as good for the consumer as it is for companies. Thousands and thousands of people rely on Sage for employment. That local fly shop you love, they can't keep their doors open selling $.99 flies, they need to sell some high dollar rods now and then to survive.

It's easy to hate big business, and often they deserve it. In this case, Fred was first so Sage was wrong. But how is Sage to know this? All they know is they have a Trademark and most likely anyone else using the name copied it from them. If Fred named his next custom rod "LL" or God forbid "Z-Axis" would Sage not have legal remedy? If Fred was a scoundrel, built his rod to look exactly like the Sage One, sold it as such, wouldn't the industry suffer as a result (Sage and the consumer). Sage has to assume the worst and protect their products as silly as it seems in this situation.

And the end of the day, I will continue buying from Sage as well as from Fred. Its a tuff market out there, global recession, a shrinking fly fishing industry. The silly marketing Sage does just to turn rods out, its necessary I'm afraid, thousands of American Jobs hang in the balance. And one never knows, Sage just may come out with an unforgettable fly rod someday that actually turns the industry and we all benefit.

Hell, Jerry Siem has to retire someday. It would sure be a hoot if Fred took his job Image))

Now that I feel guilty for defending Sage, I will have to buy one of Freds rods in the near future so I sleep at night ...

JB

p.s. not trying to offend, just offering a different perspective

Last edited by Jasonbu on 14 Sep 2011, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 14 Sep 2011, 10:15 • #134 
Master Guide
Fred, I would be honored to get that letter from Sage. Sage is threatened by you! Thats just cool, how many of your friends can say that? Could be your new motto, "Paddock fly rods, Threatening Trout and Sage since 2011"

JB

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 14 Sep 2011, 12:52 • #135 
Master Guide
My post was partially in jest of course, I am not necessarily against sage protecting the name they came up with regardless of who came up with it first. If Fred had locked in the name and cared enough about it to legally protect it and Sage attempted to bully him out of it that would be one thing. I find the descriptions of any rod that include a bunch of made up technological jargon is hilarious. Basically all major manufacturers do it because people buy in to it. I am not saying there isn't anything new either, I am sure techniques and materials have improved over the years, I would expect that. It is the space-aged, Konnetic technology and advanced modulus positioning system (AMPS?) and High Compression Molding (HCM?) ... I guess the end result is impossibly lighter rods ... Until next year ... Is that possible?

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 15 Sep 2011, 07:15 • #136 
Glass Fanatic
Trademarks are just a license to sue. How could anyone possible confuse the two rods is beyond me. I still want The Real One by Fred, not the other one by sage.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 16 Sep 2011, 03:55 • #137 
Master Guide
Pete,
Well we can agree on one thing, I would also prefer Freds glass over Sage's graphite!

On Trademarks, I respectfully respectfully disagree. I don't come to this forum to win arguments, nor to lecture on Free Market Capitalism and the importance of Trademarks. I felt Sage was getting an unfair shake so I spoke up. I already regret it and feel that I am taking something away from this thread by continuing to do so.

Fred, I love your work, keep doing what your doing.

JB

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 25 Sep 2011, 23:45 • #138 
Glass Fanatic
Sage can get a copy writer, engineer and a thesaurus to advertise but they can't get past our current economy. I can't recall seeing anyone buying/fishing a new high end graphite rod in a couple years. Any new graphite I see is from Cabelas or Gander Mt., etc. I use to run into guys that got a new Sage or other top dollar stick every year. Not now. Sage must be desperate to market "the One". I suspect business is sluggish.

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 26 Sep 2011, 07:24 • #139 
Glass Fanatic
I got it: Fred can one-up Sage and avoid ruinous litigation by calling his rod "The. 99"

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 27 Sep 2011, 10:35 • #140 
Master Guide
How about "the fly rod formerly known as 'The One'!". Whatever it's called, mine is on the way soon. 7'9" 4/5wt is a sweet spot in rod design.
CC

FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 27 Sep 2011, 12:05 • #141 
Glass Fanatic
How about "The 1%"?

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 New Topic Add Reply