It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:54

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Dec 2009, 09:46 • #1 
Inactive
Well, we are iced in here in Central PA so I figured this would be a good time to put up a post. Many of you are well aware of the long delivery times for my rods. By far the most significant factor contributing to this has been my problems with having blanks delivered to me in a reliable schedule. Even though I do all of the cutting and ferruling here, my complex taper and mandrel designs are somewhat problematic to roll and the delays in the blanks have snowballed into long delivery times for rods. This is something that numerous makers such as myself have struggled with over the years. Unless you are willing to accept standard off the shelf models from other manufacturers you fall to the end of the line in regards to supply.

In an attempt to solve this problem I am pleased to announce that I have recently acquired all of the blank production equipment from Diamondback Rod Company. I will now have a complete blank production facility in house. This is a big step for me, but it was necessary if I planned to continue to make glass rods. I have spent the past month or more transporting the equipment to PA. I also needed to move to a larger shop to handle everything. So things are a little crazy here right now. As far as the impact on the rods, things in the current line-up will remain pretty much the same. However, I will now have total control from the glass pre-preg to the finished rod. I will also have much more ability to work on new designs which is something that I really enjoy. I want to say that I will not be making my glass rods on Diamondglass patterns and I also will not be selling Diamondglass blanks. I got the equipment only and nothing associated with the Diamondback name. Cortland will still be handling the Diamondback product line.

I am really excited about this acquisition and the possibilities of not just improved supply, but also even more research and design and the new models that will result. I am also honored to carry on with this equipment that has made so many great rods over the years. It will be put to good use.

Post 13 Dec 2009, 10:20 • #2 
Master Guide
Congratulations on acquiring the Diamondback blank rolling equipment. Being able to roll your own blanks and have total control over the process is a win win move imo. Especially when you consider the lack of fiberglass rods/blanks currently available. More demand than supply. Eagerly looking forward to seeing,building and casting the new "House of McFarland" made in the U.S.A. blanks.

Post 13 Dec 2009, 10:58 • #3 
Master Guide
Very good Mike - as I plan on buying one of your rods. Good Luck!

Steve

Post 13 Dec 2009, 11:03 • #4 
Master Guide

Good stuff, Mike!

Have you given any thought to screening a logo or including decals with blanks you sell that you manufacture in-house?

At some point I'm going to pick up a couple more blanks from you, and I personally think that your McFarland Rod Company script with the oak leaf printed on the blanks would just look classy.

Anyway, congratulations on this acquisition!

Post 13 Dec 2009, 11:29 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Mike, If I had known this was happening I would have driven up to Morrisville and helped load the truck. One of my bigger disappointments in the world of gear was watching that place close down, I am happy for you and the flyrodding community that the equipment will once again be producing high quality fly rods. Rich

Post 13 Dec 2009, 12:09 • #6 
Master Guide

Excellent! Glad to see it has all went through for you. I'm sure you will put the equipment to good use.

Post 13 Dec 2009, 13:41 • #7 
Master Guide
Outstanding acquisition and plan--looking forward to the future!
-CC

Post 13 Dec 2009, 14:04 • #8 
Administrator
Mike ... I can't wait to hear about and see the new blanks that are rolled in house. The next logical step for you, Sir.

Post 13 Dec 2009, 14:12 • #9 
Guide
!

Post 13 Dec 2009, 14:48 • #10 
Guide
Congratulations Mike! Maybe we can convince you to take us on a guided tour at the next McFarland Gathering? Regards to you, Amanda, and the rest of the clan - have a nice Holiday season. -Steve

Post 13 Dec 2009, 15:58 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
We are all waiting on the edge of our seats for what the R & D department will come up with now that you have access to all this great equipment. I also hope that you find time to continue to build out blanks as you are a great builder, too. Good luck with this exciting new venture!

Post 13 Dec 2009, 18:08 • #12 
Master Guide
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post 14 Dec 2009, 02:51 • #13 
Master Guide
Congrats Mike. This is really great news. I am glad to hear you won't have to deal with all the frustration of lack of supply and get the added bonus of more freedom to experiment.

Post 14 Dec 2009, 04:49 • #14 
Master Guide
Now I'd like to talk to you about copying the Marinaro/Fox casting rod taper in glass. . . .
-CC

Post 14 Dec 2009, 06:05 • #15 
Sport
Up until a couple months ago I would have read Mikes post and thought, "Gee, that's really nice!", and not given it another thought. But, NO! NOW, after someone who shall remain nameless (JGESTER!) had me test out one of his McFarland rods, I want to do a happy feet dance, and yell, "Hooray!" Fantastic news! Mayhaps now I can get one sooner than later!

Post 14 Dec 2009, 12:09 • #16 
Guide
Thats GREAT! I plan on buying one in the near future!

Post 15 Dec 2009, 02:52 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Mike,

This is great news.
Must've been a very tough decision to take this step,
but I do believe that it will pay dividends down the road.
Two things that I believe have hurt you in the past are delivery times, and that you didn't roll your own.
You've now taken a giant leap in remedying both issues!
I wait in anticipation of what you might produce ...

PS You should've looked me up while in town!
Rumor had it that the equipment was moth-balled in some old warehouse space here in Binghamton?

Post 15 Dec 2009, 16:29 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Congratulations. I wish you and your family nothing but success in your new venture.

Post 16 Dec 2009, 03:52 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
This is the best news to come down the glass pike in a long while. Congratulations Mike!

Post 17 Dec 2009, 10:59 • #20 
Master Guide
congrats mike! keep us posted on your progress, this is exciting news indeed!

Post 17 Dec 2009, 12:03 • #21 
Master Guide
Kudos, since I am lucky to live close by, give me a call to help move stuff as I will provide pizza and beer. Plus discuss future projects , I know you have been waiting to bring new rod designs for all of us gear junkies.

Post 19 Dec 2009, 06:49 • #22 
Guide
Image ...
I promise I will not chase you for my rod ... Image

~fango~

Post 19 Dec 2009, 08:06 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Wow!, I thought that equipment probably went off-shore. By all the equipment, did you get everything including the Braider? I'd love to see those lovely diamond patterns on glass. That equipment has a long and historic past. rod maker names like Leonard, Payne, REC, Diamondback and now MacFarland. Though most of it has probably been up-dated over the years. I hope the Fishing Gods are smiling on you, I know I am. Best of luck and I'm waiting to see great rods come from your shop.
RFMcD

Post 20 Dec 2009, 13:27 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
great news, so when can we see some of your great two weight yellow blanks available and how about thinking about either a script or script decal for all your blanks with something like "McFarland Rod Blank" on them most of us that use your blanks are proud to say the basis for our rods is a Mike McFarland Rod blank.
Richard

Post 02 Jan 2010, 06:46 • #25 
Guide
Mike, that is good news. Shame you won't be rolling any new versions of the Diamondglass 8.5' 4wts - there's a strong market for that rod still ... 8-)

Tom Chandler
Trout Underground

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply