It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:00

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
The lemke Concept
Post 17 Nov 2009, 17:23 • #1 
Guide

On a recent trip to the great State of Oregon, I had the opportunity to spend a few hours with Joel Lemke at his shop. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but what I found was a family oriented business whose main goal is to make the finest reel seats on the planet! After looking at his designs, fit and finish, I came to the realization that he may have succeeded. Joel is a man of vision when it comes to reel seats, in fact his quality will surpass anything on the market. His ability to take a thought and formulate it into metal is nothing short of amazing and the colors/finish of the metal work is out of this world.

Joel is already the best friend a glass rod builder has, he has several seats that are large enough to accommodate a wood or cork insert with a boar of over. 500, and still maintain a great feel. His seats come in
3 sizes,. 595",. 640" and. 705" with some of these seats being limited at this point in certain finishes and colors. all maintain a wonderful feel. As many of you know, Joel's seats are a little hard to get at the moment. In the next several months however, that will change, Joel is going to be working with several top of the line companies in the United States who will be selling his products. (Notice I said top of the line companies, not the largest)

After
30 years in the industry. Joel knows what rod builders need, want and he can deliver. Joel's philosophy is to find the cutting edge, back up 20 feet, take a running start and leap past the cutting edge into the pioneer category. The designs and manufacturing are rooted in tradition but with his progressive and forward thinking, I can't wait to see the future. The best way to contact Joel is by email at ***email address removed*** Joel will usually respond very quickly. Stay tuned, this is just the teaser!

Below are just a few photos of the reel seats, not the whole line up, that Joel has, a couple are proto types so I bet feed back would be welcome. Enjoy

Aluminum. 595 in bronze
Aluminum/wood 2 tone black and silver, this is a very cool seat that will lead to many interesting builds.. 595
Nickle Aluminum in. 705 down locking, also available as an uplocking seat.
Nickle silver Hex shaped slide band.
Uplocking in. 595 Duronze, gold color metal, not plated.
Proto type concealed locknut in bronze and clear.
Bronze scott style slide band.
Nickle aluminum and a colored and stabilized insert.
Stay tuned, I should have more photos of other seats in the very near future. The specks and smudges are from me and my camera, the metal is actually flawless. Joel's email address was added with his permission, so feel free to drop him a line. ***email address removed***MS

Last edited by Mountainshark on 23 Jan 2010, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

The lemke Concept
Post 17 Nov 2009, 19:34 • #2 
Master Guide
The Lemke concepts reel seats are a great new reel seat for the fiberglass rod builder; especially the. 705 dl & ul. In addition to what Mike said about Joel's great hardware I'll add that Joel is quick to respond with emails, a fast shipper, and makes an effort to find exactly the wood spacer your looking for.

For those that turn their fillers/inserts one of the nice things about the Lemke hardware is the threaded barrel is very thin so you don't have to remove a lot of wood to slide the barrel on. When your dealing with. 44 butt blanks every 100th of an inch counts!

pics of. 705 &. 640 dl seats I put on a couple of rods. The wood comes from a couple of blocks of stabilized Black Oak that Joel sent me and I spun on the lathe.

.640 dl hardware

.705 dl hardware

The lemke Concept
Post 18 Nov 2009, 20:25 • #3 
Guide
That's a piece of art..! Image

The lemke Concept
Post 20 Nov 2009, 06:09 • #4 
Master Guide
Are the threads on the locking seats rounded or squared?

--Rich

The lemke Concept
Post 20 Nov 2009, 10:23 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
It's nice to see something beautiful in downlocking for a change.
RFMcD

Last edited by ratfacedmcdougal on 20 Nov 2009, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

The lemke Concept
Post 20 Nov 2009, 22:19 • #6 
Master Guide
eastprong wrote:
Are the threads on the locking seats rounded or squared?

--Rich
The reel seats I've used-.640 &. 705- have squared threads.

The lemke Concept
Post 20 Nov 2009, 23:40 • #7 
Master Guide
Is there a catalogue available?

The lemke Concept
Post 21 Nov 2009, 04:53 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
That sure looks like the reel seat on my McFarland build.

The lemke Concept
Post 22 Nov 2009, 11:36 • #9 
Master Guide
I can second the ease of working with Joel and the quality of his work. Emails were/are promptly answered, shipping was quick and his products are beautiful, reasonably priced and functional. I'd get another Lemke seat in a heartbeat.

I got one of his "nickle plated aluminum" seats early this year and patina'ed it with some Birchwood Casey to get a bronze effect - before Joel adopted this color. This is my graphite Dorber 2wt with one of his downlocking seats.

On my locking seat the threads are squared.

David

Last edited by armyflyfisher on 22 Nov 2009, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

The lemke Concept
Post 22 Nov 2009, 14:15 • #10 
Master Guide

Beautiful seats, Mike. Now I have to match one up for the TL Johnson 7' 4w blank. Decisions, decisions. Now I like what Armyfisher did with his. David, that hardware is killer. Did you do anything to the guides or hook keeper?

The lemke Concept
Post 22 Nov 2009, 16:40 • #11 
Master Guide
Thanks Mojo ...

I also got the winding check with matching knurling from Lemke and treated it to the patina as well. I got Pac Bay bronze guides and a bronze hook keeper to match the bronze tint of the seat.

Dave

The lemke Concept
Post 01 Dec 2009, 22:17 • #12 
Master Guide
Army FF, how did you find the PB bronze guides - do they need much dressing?
thanks
Mark

The lemke Concept
Post 02 Dec 2009, 18:41 • #13 
Master Guide
I got the guides from Mudhole. They didn't need much more than a touch up before I mounted them.

Check the bottom of this link ... http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Fly_3

David

The lemke Concept
Post 04 Dec 2009, 19:58 • #14 
Master Guide
Joel is great to deal with and is putting out some beautiful, functional and durable reel seats. He is always friendly and helpful, but really knows his stuff.

I'm working with him to get a few seats in the bronze anodized and the black nickel plated. I think they'll look very classy!

Last edited by LeoCreek on 05 Dec 2009, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

The lemke Concept
Post 05 Dec 2009, 17:44 • #15 
Master Guide
ratfacedmcdougal wrote:
It's nice to see something beautiful in downlocking for a change.
RFMcD
My thoughts, exactly! I've always preferred a down locking seat, and those are absolutely beautiful.

The lemke Concept
Post 05 Dec 2009, 23:40 • #16 
Master Guide
I've ordered a couple, the scott style sliding band with the walnut insert (wood at the top of the group of three prototypes) and d/l variant of the all-metal seat, both in bronze and also bronze winding checks. Joel has been very helpful.

The lemke Concept
Post 06 Dec 2009, 04:34 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
taniwha2 wrote:
I've ordered a couple, the scott style sliding band with the walnut insert (wood at the top of the group of three prototypes) and d/l variant of the all-metal seat, both in bronze and also bronze winding checks. Joel has been very helpful.

I'd love to see pics when they arrive!

The lemke Concept
Post 11 Dec 2009, 16:11 • #18 
Master Guide
I highly recommend Lemke Concepts. Joel is a professional and a pleasure to deal with. I have worked with Joel on a slide band design for my line of rods, he made the process simple. His craftsmanship is outstanding. -Fred

The lemke Concept
Post 05 Jan 2010, 09:29 • #19 
Master Guide
Some of you know that I'm working on a new fiberglass fly rod company ... I will pass on more information about this as soon as I'm ready to debut my work. I just wanted to add to this topic. Joel Lemke is a pleasure to deal with and a great cratfsman. I have worked with him on a design for reel seats for my upcoming line of rods, the slide band is of my design. His professionalism and skills are outstanding. Here's a sneak peek at what he has done for me. Image

The lemke Concept
Post 05 Jan 2010, 16:46 • #20 
Master Guide
Nice work!

The lemke Concept
Post 05 Jan 2010, 16:56 • #21 
Guide
Fred,
Nice design, Nice color!
I think this seats suits your blank.

The lemke Concept
Post 06 Jan 2010, 13:20 • #22 
Guide
Fred,

looks great ... simple ... just like you described ... after seeing the prototypes and now the "official" seat i can envision it all coming together.. good luck w/ everything and can't wait to see the finished product rolling out the door. Agree w/ Kab, the spacer and metal finish will suit your blank color perfectly ... aluminum if i'm not mistaken, yes?

-matt

The lemke Concept
Post 06 Jan 2010, 14:02 • #23 
Master Guide
Thank you the kinds words on the design. I give Joel Lemke the credit of making the design happen. His craftsmanship and professionalism enabled me to take the step away from a production reel seat. The hardware is bronze anodized alumunim. The slide rings has a slight inside taper for a good fit. The finish is very nicely done.

The lemke Concept
Post 07 Jan 2010, 17:19 • #24 
Emeritus

Looks nice Fred, really like the coloration of the hardware.

Hope all is well,

Corey

The lemke Concept
Post 08 Jan 2010, 02:22 • #25 
Master Guide
Corey- Thank you for the kind words. Joel Lemke did an excellent job in capturing the design and working with my needs. I have some very special reels coming from Japan to compliment the reel seats and rods ... By the time I'm ready to post them, it will be my debut! -Fred

Last edited by fred1369 on 08 Jan 2010, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply