It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:06

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Oct 2009, 23:41 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Hello My Fellow Fiberglass Fly Rodders I hope this is the right place for this ,I wanted to be sure all of you had an opportunity to learn about this important new product!
I want to take this opportunity to endorse and review a revolutionary new concept in wadding safety the No-Float Stix.
This product was designed by my good friend Mr. Tom Toomey better known as T.T ...
Tom has worked over 10 years developing this wading staff; the product is second to none currently available in my opinion.
I was never one to use a wading staff until a few years back when I nearly drown in the Shetuckett River here in Connecticut after an unscheduled dam release.
I saw the light as they say and at that point I felt like a fool for never having or using a wading staff.
So I did what everyone else does I made a wading staff from and old hickory stick, well that was more trouble than it was worth all it did was float down current and get tangled in my line.
So being a penny pincher I went to an aluminum ski pole next that was a little better but still gave me problems getting tangled and after loosing a few really good fish only because my line was hung up in the staff. I couldn't get my line back on the reel to play the fish the ski pole literally got tossed on the bank.
Next as the progression goes I went to a collapsible staff that was cool and worked as long as it was extended, Then I realized that I wasn't actually using it only to get in and out of the water because it was also floating with the current or folded up to keep it from causing problems.
Next I took a bad fall and sure enough the collapsible staff did what it was designed to do it collapsed and in the drink I went and guess what it went the way of the ski pole as well.
At that point I had basically given up on wading staffs and it was really affecting my fishing. I was less prone to wade into difficult spots in fear of another fall or worse drowning.
Then Tom Toomey offered me one of his No-Float Stix, at first I refused and told Tom that I had given up on wading staffs and why, then Tom gave me the pitch and being stubborn I still refused his offer.
Soon after Tom and I went fishing together, Tom is a short guy like me and he was out in parts of the river fishing I wouldn't dare go and he had confidence no less.
To make it worse he was catching fish and I wasn't because I was afraid to get out into the main stream current to reach the fish feeding on the far bank.
So at lunch he offered for me again to try a No-Float Stix and gave me a lesson on how to use it.
This time I woke up and said yes why not.
Off I went and let me tell you it was the best thing I have done to improve my fishing in years.
The confidence I once had as a younger man was back I could navigate the rocky bottom and current nearly like I did my first 40 years of fishing and wading a stream. After an afternoon of fishing and wading with the staff that was it! I was convinced so much so I purchased one for my wife as well and needless to say she was glad to retire her old collapsible staff that she seldom used.
This wading staff is weighted and stays put so it does not float and get caught in your line.
The weight also keeps the staff grounded and makes for a more solid foundation while moving in heavy current and rocky, slimy bottoms. Generally I am not one to be easily impressed by new products but when it comes to my safety while wading, The No-Float Stix was easy for me to embrace I feel it important that I pass on my experience to my fellow fisherman. This product will save lives and be responsible for less wading spills/falls and injuries I am confident. The No-Float Stix is the result of over 10 years of working prototypes research and development the old way ever improving until the product was perfected by T.T ... Tom Toomey Makes them by his own hands in his small but capable shop right here in Connecticut one at a time. If you are interested in knowing more and there is much more to know please visit the No- Float Stix web site inserted here.http://no-floatstix.com/contact.html You will be glad you did! Tight Lines and Safer Wading Loops. Andy M
Image PS Above you will see an Old Yankee exclusive photograph of T.T. with a small hand full of the prototypes. I was fortunate enough to be one of the chosen few to visit the inner No-Float Stix shop and be shown actually how the wading staffs progressed and how they are made.I can attest to the reports that they are all made here in Connecticut of the finest materials available one at a time by Tom Toomey.

Last edited by The Glass Master on 20 Oct 2009, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post 20 Oct 2009, 01:46 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Andy,
I am a very supportive of this type of wading staff design. I'm a home builder and, after a journey much like yours through the morass of high tech wading equipment, built my self a staff from an old 6' boat rod inserting a huge concrete bolt(10" long) in the business end and a handle from what was around. At first I thought it was to heavy but I won't wade without it now, for the reasons you have stated, very stable, a great safety tool and it doesn't get in the way of my fishing. I hope he has success with the staff. Respectfully rvreclus

Post 20 Oct 2009, 02:03 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
If you read the information on the web site you will learn about the pendulum the No-Stix Float has.
This is the fruit of countless hours of development and what makes this product effortless to use a stream.
When this staff is in use the weight is not a consideration.
Tight Lines and Best By Physics Loops
Andy M

Post 20 Oct 2009, 02:06 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Andy,

Your thread is quite timely for me.

Although, I myself am still in the "young and macho stage" that you've described,
I have been researching staffs to give my Father as a gift this Christmas.
He's now 67, and although he's in seriously great physical shape for that age;
he not quite as steady on his feet wading as he was years ago.
As he fishes wet flies in strong riffles probably 90% of the time,
I think that he might be warming up to the idea of a wading staff.
Probably wouldn't ever buy one for himself, unless he took a bad spill, like you've also described.
But will probably gladly accept one as a gift.

One key thing that I like about your description,
is that, in so many words, you describe how this weight staff
stays out of the way when fishing/facing downstream.
This is very important for a wet fly fisherman.
The fellows that primarily fish dries, casting upstream;
can let a staff float and dangle in the current behind them,
and it doesn't cause an issue. But fish downstream, and now that floating staff
is waggling in the current right in front of you as you try and land a fish!

One concern I have with this particular staff is that it does not collapse at all.
I think that I would find that a long weighted staff tethered to my belt, annoying to my fishing.
Maybe not.
I just can't picture it.

My Dad would probably only need the staff (in the short term, at least) for the instances where we need to make a stream crossing,
not necessarily for normal fishing.

I don't see any pricing in TT's web page?
Does he not sell them direct?

Post 20 Oct 2009, 02:16 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
You should read all the testimonials on the site and if you click on products it gives you the pricing.
He does not sell them direct.
You live in New York if I remember correctly.
You can get one here or check the dealers section on the web site.
After you use one of these for an afternoon you will never want to enter the water again without one period.

Malinda's Fly-Tackle Shop & Lodge:
3 Pulaski St
Altmar, NY 13302
ph: 315-298-2993

Tight Lines and Safer Loops
Andy M

Post 20 Oct 2009, 03:38 • #6 
Sport
Andy thanks for sharing - it looks like a great product. I have been using a diy staff made of a golf shaft, weighted with a rubber tip. It works ok with the exception that it vibrates noticeably in a heavy current then I set it. I am sure the fish hear (feel) me coming. How does the No Float perform in this regard?

Post 20 Oct 2009, 13:47 • #7 
Sport
I feel the concept is very sound and probably more sophisticated than what I use ... but if when you went to the ski pole you would have added weight to the tip end of the pole and added a rubber tip to dampen the sound. .. the pole would stay out of your way ... tip is down ... the weight was easily added with nuts ... as in nuts and bolts.

The ski pole I use at one time was top of the line so airplane aluminum and all that but what I really like is the grip. ... it has a platform that supports your hand. This platform once you used it you would not be without it ... your friend might consider that in future models.

Last edited by dman on 20 Oct 2009, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 20 Oct 2009, 14:33 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I am glad you fellows see the importance of this new product if you read the web site in it's entirety you will find the answers to your questions.
My friend has made many modifications over his 10 plus years of perfecting the product.
If you have suggestions on how you think he can make it better after you have actually seen one, held it in your hand, or put one through it's paces
I am sure he will welcome your suggestions.
This is not something that Tom just threw together from bits and pieces found on the bench or hanging around in the garage!
Tom is a technologies teacher among other things and has a very impressive resume.
I did not post this here to be in a position where I need to promote the product or do a question and answer dialog.
Everything you need to know is on the web site if you read it thoroughly including why the handle is the was it is and about the stealth in the water etc etc etc.
I posted it here because I thought it would be nice to help my fellow fiberglass fly fisherman wade safer.
I am only trying to help you by introducing you to a new product.
If any of you have any further question about the product please contact Tom directly! I am sure he will be more than happy to answer them for you.
The contact information is above in the web site link.
Tight Lines and Simply Shared Loops
Andy M

Post 21 Oct 2009, 15:18 • #9 
Sport
This is the answer I received via email concerning my question about staff vibration with No Float. Sure in a way I would prefer to buy a new fly rod etc but maybe my wife might consider a early Xmas or birthday present so I do not come home wet.

Hello John,
No it definetly does not. During our extensive testing we found that all of the small diamiteter staffs did vibrate. There are two reasons ours don't 1. Larger diamiter 1" 2. Wall thickness. 058 thousands. With this it has not only reduced or in 99% ofth cases it is eliminated totally. The vibrating causes hand fatigue. The other reason it is so important to eliminate vibration is the sound the vibration emits. This sound can drastically denture your fishing as this is emitted to their "lateral line" and can chase them away. Many fisherman have changed for this reason alone than later realized how great the other advantages were as you can see per the testimonials on my web site http://www.no-floatstix.com I hope this has helped and I am sure you will be very hapy with a No-Float Stix.
Safe Wading,
Tom

Post 31 Oct 2009, 13:57 • #10 
Hello to all you dedicated fisherman,
I am Tom Toomey CEO, owner and inventor of the "No- Float Stix". I want to thank Andy for testing my "No-Float Stix" wading staff and wanting to share his findings with all of you. I have read all of your threads and you all have interesting things to say. I will tell you that if you have any questions by all means please ask like "JohnLL" did in the threads. By the way thank you for posting my response.

The prices are on the "Products" page and you may buy and check out right there. The Site "Only takes PayPal" and will be shipped to you from North Cove Outfitters, Old Saybrook, CT. Otherwise as Andy stated please go to the Dealer page and find a dealer in your area. If there are none please have them contact me. As a special if a dealer in your area picks up my product I will give you a gift certificate for 10% off your "No-Float Stix. Lets say is a Christmas incentive for reading this thread and getting a new dealer in your area.

For "corlay" If you go to the FAQ's page you will see what I have written about folding and collapsible wading staffs. I feel it will give you a good under standing as to why "One Piece is Superior". The other thing is, it doesn't hang off your belt. You attach it to the upper ring on your vest. Most all vests I know have a ring by the upper pocket. The UV resistant cord is the precise length so it will hang freely and be out of the way. At the same time one upward tug on the cord and the grip is in your hand ready to go. I will admit that there are always people that question will it work for me? I like a folding staff. The thing is once they try it for a few trips in different conditions; they never go back. I will be honest with you out of all the people who have tried it including Professionals I have only had "ONE" person not like it because of the weight.

That's pretty good as I have a lot out there right now. As for the weight, when you nymph fish the only way to get your fly down is with weight! I use the same principal only take much more advanced with the "Submersible System" I invented. This way you don't have to carry all the weight equal to what it is in the water. Which is approximately the same weight in the water as it is out of the water. All this from very extensive testing, there is much more on my web site and I invite you to there and read it and ask questions. And after you have used one for a while and would like to share recommendations, I would be glad to get them. I hope this has helped and I thank you all again for your time in reading

Safe Wading
Tom

Post 31 Oct 2009, 14:32 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Hello T.T.
I want to be the first to welcome you to Fiberglass Fly Rodders.
You will find a very nice group of people here from all corners of the country and the far reaches of the globe.
Tight Lines and Fiberglass Loops
Andy M

Post 03 Nov 2009, 09:09 • #12 
Administrator
nofloatstix ... welcome to The Fiberglass Flyrodders forum! Thank you for the Float Stix that you sent for review and I'm looking forward to getting it out on the Saluda River this Friday. Report and review to follow.

Post 19 Feb 2013, 13:01 • #13 
Master Guide
I'm a little slow sometimes, but I was finally getting around to purchasing a wading staff. I was going to purchase a No-Float Stix, and was saddened to learn that Tom Toomey passed away in 2010. Very sorry to hear that.

I really like the concept, and may opt for a Sharpe's of Aberdeen Seaforth or Spey model, if the No-Float Stix will no longer be made.

Andy: Do you know if any of Tom's family or business associates have any plans to continue to produce Tom's excellent product?

Here's to you, Tom Toomey ...

Post 19 Feb 2013, 18:48 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Have no recent knowledge of anything pertaining to the no- float stix future since my good friend tom's passing.
Tight lines and t. N. T. Loops
Andy M

Post 23 Feb 2013, 17:00 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
If those are no longer available you might check out the new wading staff being offered by Tim at Speyco reels. There was a dicussion in the spey pages forum classifieds recently.

Post 02 Mar 2013, 11:00 • #16 
Guide
I just got a $5 stout wooden walking staff at job lots to use as wading staff tethered to a gear keeper. It might be a problem floating around, so suggestions for some sort of holster set up are welcome.

Post 12 Apr 2013, 10:13 • #17 
Master Guide
Nice idea. I have used an old Orvis ash wading staff for the past 25 years and it has saved my butt more times than I can count. The older and more unsure on my feet I get, the more I appreciate having it. The real advantage my Orvis staff has over a lot of others I have seen is that is has a tubular stainless steel tip, rather than just a point. the edges of the tubular tip protrude beyone the wood and the edges of the tube grab rocks better than a singular tip. Mine has worn down a bit over the years, but it's still protuding enough to grab rocks. Yes, it floats, but I usually just hang it over my shoulder opposite my rod hand and it stays out of the way. I also use it to knock down spider webs on the trail and it has killed one big water moccasin that struck me on my wading boot, and has flipped several other snakes out of my path. I won't wade without it. This new No-Float Stix looks to me to be the best staff I have seen since I bought my Orvis so many years ago. I don't like most of the folding staffs because many of them will come apart if you get them jammed between rocks and try to pull them loose. A one piece staff can be a bit inconvenient to travel with, but it sure is nice on the stream. A screw together, two or three piece staf would be ideal. It would be nice for travel and yet secure once fitted together.

Post 13 Apr 2013, 13:11 • #18 
This wading staff is nearly identical to an antique staff I once handled that the shop owner said was made in England in the 1800s, except the antique staff had an ingenious, simple and comfortable handle. The weight was brass and the shaft of cane. I tried to buy it from the owner, but he told me it was not for sale. I have never forgotten that staff and have often wished for it on some of the treacherous steelhead runs I often fish alone.

Dwight

New Topic Add Reply