It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:15

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Scott Rods
Post 06 May 2007, 06:12 • #1 
Administrator
Scott Fly Rod Company

Scott Rods
Post 11 Nov 2009, 08:41 • #2 
Guide
Has anyone tried one of these 10'6" glass rods.
I glad to see a good modern maker use glass in a two hander.
There's a review at:
-http://www.midcurrent.com ... he-fly-fishing-reta.html

-Vinnie in Juneau

Scott Rods
Post 11 Nov 2009, 08:49 • #3 
Master Guide
Vinnie, the SpeyCo. is also offering glass spey rods right now also. They are shown on his reel sight. Have not heard anything about them yet.

Scott Rods
Post 11 Nov 2009, 09:16 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
That rod is listed under "Classics and Concepts" on the Scott site. Priced at $625, it seems like a deal for such a unique rod.

Scott Rods
Post 11 Nov 2009, 12:21 • #5 
Guide
At the Fiberglass Manifesto, Cameron recently carried out an interview with Jim Bartschi of Scott: http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2009/11/tfm-interviews-jim-bartschi-of-scott.html
and asked all the key questions. A must read for Scott fans.

I hope Mr. Mortenson doesn't mind me excerpting - here's Bartschi on future glass projects: "The best I can do is to let you and T.F.M readers know we'll be expanding our fiberglass line up significantly. It's a material we really believe in and we're proud to be the only fly rod company that builds high performance rods from graphite, fiberglass and bamboo.

Thank you Cameron for conducting this important and timely interview.

John

Scott Rods
Post 11 Nov 2009, 14:25 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, I read that too. Good interview Cameron.

Scott Rods
Post 12 Nov 2009, 03:59 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
That is a great interview on Cameron's blog. With Scott expanding their line of glass, T&T re entering the glass market, Tom Morgan's glass rods and the Boo Boys at Sweetgrass expanding their lineup in 2010 looks like prices are going to ratchett up again.
Winston's got to be mulling over offering a glass series again.

Scott Rods
Post 12 Nov 2009, 07:20 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, thanks, Cameron, for that very interesting interview. It sounds like Scott will recapture some of its old mystique with the expanded custom shop. I look forward to seeing some very interesting glass from them in the near future and that's just great.

Frog, I have made it a point to stop in at Winston just about yearly and suggest to them that they should begin building fiberglass again. I always get the impression that they are not interested, although this year the receptionist told me that they monitor the Winston fiberglass sales on eBay . .. uh, that last one might have gotten their attention.

Scott Rods
Post 12 Nov 2009, 08:04 • #9 
Administrator
I don't like the idea of Winston making glass rods because they've been watching the prices on eBay . The companies that are successful with glass are in it because they like the material, not because it sells for more money. In my opinion, Scott has the correct approach - build fly rods from fiberglass because it is the right material for the design.

Tom

Scott Rods
Post 12 Nov 2009, 08:31 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Tom, I think they're watching eBay more for the interest in fiberglass that those sales might reflect rather than the pure mercenary aspect. That said, companies are designed to make money.

Scott Rods
Post 12 Nov 2009, 09:03 • #11 
Sport
I thought Cameron's interview was very good. I wish Scott rods would have discussed future lengths and weights of the fiberglass rods. Also, I got on the custom rod link. I was playing around with it to see how it worked. Several times I came up with a graphite rod that would be over $1000 with tax. That makes a lot of the custom builders that frequent this web page pretty cheap. I guess there are people out there that want to pay that for a graphite rod.

Cris

Scott Rods
Post 12 Nov 2009, 12:22 • #12 
Guide
Let's hope Scott has it in them to revisit the best of the older rods:
F794/4
F803/3 and F803/5
F80/5 (5 wt).

The 8' 3 pc 3 wt brown glass Fibertouch is what the Stalker that sold the other day for 1100.00 on eBay should be.

The Winston Stalkers and Trout rods were very good rods, but I always thought, after owning many of both, Scott would get the A's and Winston's were the B's. These days, I would not expect much out of Winston in glass.

Scott Rods
Post 12 Nov 2009, 16:53 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I'd like to see Scott make an 8'3" 6wt. Tom Morgan and Sweetgrass both offer that model in glass so it must make a nice rod.

Scott Rods
Post 12 Nov 2009, 17:21 • #14 
Master Guide
... up here on the Salmon River (NY) the use of switch and spey rods has taken flight nicely ... of course, those of you who have been here know anything larger than a 12' to 13' rod is unnecessary ... don't get me wrong, that general length is lots of fun ... but still bigger than necessary ... that being said, Scott's new fiberglass spey rod, "Fiberhammer", should be perfect! ... I can't wait to get my hands on one! ... if Cameron had not told me about it, I likely would not have known ... THANKS CAM ... Bob

Scott Rods
Post 08 Dec 2009, 03:12 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I love the current Scott F rods. I wish they'd build shorter rods in heavier line weights -- 7-7.5' and 5wt or 6wt. I think their faster S glass material and progressive tapers would make an awesome short streamer and big bug rod.

Scott Rods
Post 13 Dec 2009, 14:09 • #16 
Administrator
Fellows ... thanks for the kind comments about the TFM interview. Jim Bartschi was very generous to take some time to complete the interview. I wish that he would have opened up a little bit more about upcoming fiberglass offerings but what I took from his answers is that fiberglass is a real material for them work with and explore innovative projects with such as the Fiberhammer. I'm not the only one that hopes that means other fiberglass rods in the future to be added to the "F" series.

Scott Rods
Post 19 Dec 2009, 07:55 • #17 
Guide
Anyone buy one or cast/fish one? What line would you suggest? Do you think it would be useful for small stripers, freshwater bass in rivers, salmon and the occasional bonefish trip for someone who loves good glass. I'm tempted to order one, but would like to get a little more description and experience. Any pics?
Thanks all and happy holidays!

Scott Rods
Post 26 Dec 2009, 10:36 • #18 
Administrator
creakycane ... I am supposed to get one early in 2010 to demo/review for T.F.M. I believe all your ideas for the use of one are good. I'm thinking stripers in the river too.

As far as fly line Jim Bartschi said that a line with 280-320 grains is what you'll need.

I'll work on photos. There have been a couple floating around the internet on Midcurrent.com and other places.

Scott Rods
Post 26 Dec 2009, 11:41 • #19 
Guide
cc,
Here's one: http://blogs.dion.ne.jp/yellowtail0723/archives/9001928.html

According to the Scott website, this is a 2010 only concept.

Scott Rods
Post 26 Dec 2009, 17:14 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Some better photos here: http://www.gigharborflyshop.com/servlet/Detail?no=1746

New Topic Add Reply