It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:13

New Topic Add Reply
Old Garcia resurrected
Post 17 Apr 2009, 03:31 • #1 
Master Guide
Hey guys, I've had this old Garcia laying around for a while. Got it when a friend passed away, it was in bad shape. Cork and end cap chewed to heck by rats, guides rusted and bent up, wraps coming off, and label scratched up. All I got from it was fast taper, light action, 4 star, 7 foot. Didn't turn out as nice as Mojo's but it'll fish.

Still trying to decide what to do on the sig area.

Thanks for looking
Mike

Old Garcia resurrected
Post 17 Apr 2009, 06:07 • #2 
Emeritus
That's a pretty amazing "resurrection ... " I don't think I've ever seen quite that combo of maroon/blood wrap color and a sort of coconut-colored rod ... goes super with the reel seat and grips ...

Nice!

Old Garcia resurrected
Post 17 Apr 2009, 07:07 • #3 
Master Guide
Actually it is Gudebrod brown thread. Funny thing, I had the blank stripped and painted gloss black and saw a posting of a rod that was stripped and varnished. Thought it was Mojorizing but I could be wrong. Went out to the shop and stripped it again and put a few coats of spar on it! Really glad I did. If it wasn't Allen who posted the pics then thanks to whoever it was!

Mike

Old Garcia resurrected
Post 17 Apr 2009, 23:10 • #4 
Emeritus
That's an amazing rebuild! I love the grips.

Joe C.

Old Garcia resurrected
Post 18 Apr 2009, 00:45 • #5 
Master Guide
Mike---A beautiful resurrection ---I wise that had the tallent and the knowledge to redo some older rods---they had a lot of class.

Gary

Old Garcia resurrected
Post 18 Apr 2009, 04:13 • #6 
Master Guide
That is a very nice rebuild. Is there a reason for the wood grips replacing the cork other than aesthetics? Did any factory builds utilize this type of a grip? I like it, but am curious. Glenn

Old Garcia resurrected
Post 18 Apr 2009, 11:30 • #7 
Master Guide
Well Glenn, let's see, cork is expensive ... wood is free! I like the look of wood, wasn't a restore so I just did whatever I felt like. Under the whole grip and reelseat is a 3/4 inch aluminum pipe so the wood was a little easier to turn, I could just make a couple of collets instead of a 3/4 in mandrel. The cork was a preformed piece I picked up a couple of years ago with a 5/8" bore. A lot of old rods used solid wood grips, mostly boat rods though. I think I'll go look for some bass in a week or two.

Mike

Old Garcia resurrected
Post 19 Apr 2009, 08:50 • #8 
Emeritus
I just think it's interesting how you combined the cork and wood, and as to color scheme- high marks.

New Topic Add Reply