It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Oct 2023, 11:00 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I recently upgraded my old Eagle Claw 181 Baitholder hook stash to the Gamakatsu version in sizes 6 – 14; with 14 being the smallest size offered.

When I went to swap out the old hooks, I also found these really small baitholder hooks, identical to the Eagle Claw 181 that to this fly tiers eye look like a 16 and DEFINITELY smaller than the size 14 Gamakatsu and some old size 14 181’s I had lying around.

When I emailed Eagle Claw and asked them if they ever offered a 181 smaller than a 14, they said no however, the person responding might be talking about recent history. So I looked on line at old Eagle Claw cached webpages going back 20 years and there is still no 181 smaller than a 14 yet I have about 50+ hooks that are smaller...

Anybody out there have any recollections, catalogs or magazines older than 20 years with Eagle Claw ads that might shine some light on this mystery?

It may seem trivial but with some obscure fly hooks going for $10 apiece, I may be able to find someone willing to fork over stupid money for these dinky bait hooks. I thought about sending one to Eagle Claw but it might just be a waste of time.

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer!!

Post 21 Oct 2023, 14:19 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
How much difference in looks between the Eagle Claw and a similar Mustad hook?
I recall on a trout camping trip about 1960 that my uncle gave my Dad some #16 Mustad hooks to use because Eagle Claw's smallest hooks were too big for the fish or so he said. I don't recall if those #16s were bait holder style but they were using small worms. That was the first time I recall seeing Mustad hooks. It stuck in a kid's memory because the #16s were so much smaller than #14s and I thought it should be the other way 'round. Memorable trip all around, because my Dad wasn't much of a fisherman and that was also my first exposure to trout.

Post 22 Oct 2023, 10:40 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Trev:

The Mustad bait holder hooks look very similar to the Eagle Claw hooks and if Mustad sold a smaller size that may be a possibility although as of now, they only sell down to a size 12 so the mystery continues...

In the meantime, I sent Mustad an email asking if they ever offered smaller sizes.

Regardless thank for the lead!

New Topic Add Reply