It is currently 23 Feb 2024, 16:29

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Sep 2023, 13:46 • #1 
Hi there. Im needing help identifiing or dating this Garcia Conolon rod. Ive never seen a creme colored Garcia rod. I find the spring loaded handle very interesting wondering if its an Abu speedgrip or? The only other rods Ive seen with this rod handle was very few lower end Garcia KIngfisher rods painted orange. Any help appreciated!

Last edited by SteveB71 on 21 Sep 2023, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Sep 2023, 14:56 • #2 
Piscator
The rod handle is generally '60s per Real's Reels limited catalog collection
http://www.realsreels.com/RodsGarcia.html
You didn't show us the interesting side of the label - it's facing away in your photo

Post 21 Sep 2023, 23:12 • #3 

Hey I been trying to respond back to you and its not letting me make a new reply so Im editing here. Thanks for posting that link. Ive used those catalogs many times in much research. The handles pictured in those catologs for the green rods doesnt have a spring loaded plunger at rear of handle to hold the reel. If thats a spring loaded plunger I cant see the back side enough to make it out.. I have however found one or two kingfisher orange rods that do indeed have the spring loaded plunger but very few Ive seen. They are the only other rods I've seen with this handle as most I've seen have the handle pictured in catolog.The chuck that you twist on those handles in the catolog on realsreels tightens both the rod and the reel. They look like same grip but isnt spring loaded plunger like on my rod. Soo.. my search for info and the saga continues..

Post 22 Sep 2023, 07:36 • #4 
Piscator
They may not show that detail in the catalog.
https://www.fishingtalks.com/garcia-rod ... 17016.html
On this link, 1975 catalog, it's only visible on the multipiece pack rod on the first page

Post 22 Sep 2023, 10:19 • #5 
Morning and I appreciate your help, bulldog 1935 truly do. I hope I don't come off as argumentative or difficult here. Thats a different rod handle all together. It did however make me take pause and go back and look at that first rod handle you mentioned on realsreels. I changed the contrast to see the backside of that reel seat better and that could be it in late 60s catolog pages on those green rods. I normally pick photos to death as I was once a photographer in a different life but its def not the handle on those pack rods. It very well could be the handle on those green rods tho upon closer inspection. Over on the https://bass-archives.com/garcia-fishin ... mment-1032
theres a fella thats got permission from pure fishing to post his garcia annual catologs so hes doing so in installments hopefully with his scans I can get a better photo that shows that rod handle better but that very well may be it. Again I appreciate any help yall give me. :-) Thank you kindly!

Post 23 Sep 2023, 09:21 • #6 
Piscator
An afterthought for you here.

I've mentioned on many threads that Conolon was King in the 70s. Their higher grade rods were priced out of frugality reach for many.
Our local discount store, Gibson's, carried a line of Garcia trade rods at that time - all marked Garcia Conolon.
They brought Conolon rods to the reach of the frugal - your rod could fit in the discount trade rods, which may be why you can't find it in a Garcia rod catalog, aimed for more upscale sporting goods, like Oshman's.

Google has been fruitless on trying to find the Gibson's flyer on these rods, which I've seen before, should have copied it.

Post 23 Sep 2023, 10:19 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Aftermarket components, mix and match assembly at the retailer, afterwards in someone's basement, and manufacturing variations--regional, marketing, or availability of components from a supplier. Any combination of these can explain a hard-to-id rod of that vintage. Doesn't mean it isn't fun to try, though. Just realize that even in its time, a given rod may be uncatalogued or unfamiliar to an employee of a burgeoning business like Garcia/Conolon.

Post 23 Sep 2023, 11:13 • #8 
Piscator
Steve, this one begins with a blank color that didn't make 20 years of Garcia rod catalogs, which turned me toward the discount trade rod idea.

Post 23 Sep 2023, 12:06 • #9 
Very very interesting. Thank yalll for your respponses and sharing your knowledge and experienc.. It's very much appreciated. I love this old fishing rod. It states it's a medium with fast taper but it's much more stiff compared to other medium fast taper rods I have. It feels like a medium heavy to me.

Post 24 Sep 2023, 06:19 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Fun thread. Thanks, Bulldog. That having been said, now someone with the 21st catalog will find it and post a pic--or a stack of trade rods in the back room of a country hardware/sporting goods store, or a custom run for Two Guys (from Harrison), one of the come-and-gone discount department stores that roared merchandising into the late 60s and early 70s.

Post 24 Sep 2023, 10:00 • #11 
Piscator
Exactly. If you review the catalogs we linked, Garcia sorted their quality steps by blank color, brown, green, blue...

Here's my friend's daughter catching redfish on the same blue Garcia spinner in the masthead photo but matched with Penn 716
(the NIB 440 Ottomatic only came out of the box for the masthead photo and went right back in)

Post 24 Sep 2023, 13:38 • #12 
Nice silhouette shot! Ya where's that 21st catalog at and that back room full of rods? Ha-ha. I've scoured those catalogs and ebay everyday for last year and the different colored rods, different stars. At least I thought I had. I didn't know about magazine or catalog inserts tho nor anything about trade rods before finding this forum. Much to soak in here and very interesting info. Much history with these Garcia Conolon rods. Yalls insight and knowledge is much appreciated! Google books help me find this forum too. Maybe more can be found using google books. Thats how I stumbled upon patent dates and old ads as well. What was the name for Gibsons? Just Gibsons or Gibsons discount store or? Ive scoured through old posts from Richard as well. Much to soak in. :)
Like this Gibsons?

Post 24 Sep 2023, 16:33 • #13 
Piscator
That is the only Gibson's still in existence - Weatherford, TX. (my daughter teaches HS science and coaches wrestling there)
Ace Hardware bought them out, but that one store kept its name for history.
Gibson's was Mecca all over TX when I was a kid. I got to pick all my tackle there.

ps - it was a ride for a dad.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 24 Sep 2023, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 Sep 2023, 16:51 • #14 
Wow that's awesome! You must be very proud. That's alot of medals.

New Topic Add Reply