It is currently 14 Apr 2024, 06:44

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Sep 2023, 01:26 • #1 
Guide
Seems like when it rains, it pours applies to old casting reels just like some of my fly rod purchases.
In the last 2 days, i’ve picked up a #25 AND a 25-c; both in un-fished condition with all the paper’s/boxes and leather cases.
And just like the rest of my plunder, i come here to learn about what i got!
I found numerous pages on the Bronson line over on the ORCA forum and am pumped over these two acquisitions!

Tell me how they fish? Some of what i read describes them as “tournament reels”.

Post 19 Sep 2023, 07:45 • #2 
Piscator
You're more apt to find Bronson collectors on ORCA than Bronson fishers on FFR.
We want to see photos, and we need those to speak intelligently about them.
I believe these are high-grade nickel-silver reels, comparable to JA Coxe, which Bronson also made.

The one thing I can tell you, be careful with leather cases - more reels have been destroyed over decades by long-term storage in mildewed leather cases than for any other reason.
Leather cases can make good short-term transit protection, a or display prop in the back of your curio case.

Post 23 Sep 2023, 15:56 • #3 
Sport
If the side plate says "Coronet" it has an aluminum frame and was made after 1950. The nickel silver models were made from 1939 until 1950 minus the war years. A few good pictures of the palm plate, the bottom of the foot, and the levelwind as seen from underneath will allow me to date the reel. There is a steady stream of these on eBay to find current value. The German Silver 25N is the most valuable. I fish with 25N's and so do some of my friends.

Post 23 Sep 2023, 20:17 • #4 
Guide
Thanks Bill, they both showed up today, i’ll get some pictures going, id be interested in they’re ages?
I think id like to fish one and am wondering if mono would be a good choice on these? One cam spooled with a light creme colored Dacron.
They seem like well made reels, along with a pair of Marhoff’s and a nice pair of Summits, all recently acquired. So much cool stuff from a bygone era and each with interesting technological differences. As a Machinist for almost 50 years; i really appreciate a lot of the vintage stuff.

Post 24 Sep 2023, 19:00 • #5 
Sport
I am guessing the 25C has a balsa arbor and mono would not be a good choice on it as the compression of the line will warp the arbor out-of-round. I use vintage braided Nylon on mine and occasionally about a cast's worth of spectra wrapped over the nylon. Dacron is a good choice for trolling as it has very little stretch, but I have always found it spools poorly for casting. Take about a foot or so of the line that is on the reel and see if it has any stretch. If so, it is nylon not Dacron. I seldom find a vintage reel with actual Dacron line on it.

Post 26 Sep 2023, 18:56 • #6 
Guide
Except for the Jlacoxe on the end plate and the verbiage inside the foot, they appear to be the same reel.

The creme line does stretch!

Here’s some picture’s, both are in excellent shape.

Post 26 Sep 2023, 18:59 • #7 
Piscator
That's the one - congrats - I agree with Bill, cork or not, try soft braided line - not PE or mono.

Post 26 Sep 2023, 19:43 • #8 
Guide
And here’s the other one.

Since then i stumbled onto a pair of Taxie’s, one Pfeluger and one 4 brothers as well as a pair of mint “rockets”; a 1355 and a 1375. The collection is growing by pairs these days. Pictures when i have them.

Post 26 Sep 2023, 20:18 • #9 
Piscator
If you're getting into NLW reels, I recommend Shakespeare, which I've found to have better bushings than Pflueger of the same era (ninteen-teens), across their original price range.
IMO, Pflueger quality began to shine postwar, and you're adding some fun reels there.
And be careful, at some point, space becomes the valuable commodity when you're stacking up vintage and antique reels.

Post 26 Sep 2023, 23:51 • #10 
Guide
Ok, so i’ve been to the candy store and have numerous near mint reels on a watch list for ease of finding them later. They include Duece, Service, President, Tru-axis, True Blue, Criterion, Deluxe, Wonder reel, Ideal and a Jupiter!

Were any of these higher end or more desirable for one reason or another? I already have a very nice pair of Marhoff’s.

On that braided nylon, vintage Gudebrod squidding line 18lb is readily available, is this a suitable line for the old timers or do, i need to keep looking?

I should add, i have no good reason for collecting this stuff. I was a Machinist for 47 years and appreciate fine mechanism’s but other than that if it’s shiny, old, well made and innovative im interested.

Post 27 Sep 2023, 06:12 • #11 
Piscator
I haven't had to buy line in quite some time - I still have some packaged Gudebrod Meatmaster 12-lb.
I've fished a range of lines from antique silk, Cortland green spot dacron and ice-fishing braids from Mason and Woodstock.
I stocked up on old fishing braid when it was cheap on ebay 20 years ago.
You're going to have a hard time filling all your reels, another reason to be picky.
Good habit is back with heavier lines and use your thinner lines for working line.

Image Image

The single best Marhoff copy I've ever cast is Meek No. 20.

Post 30 Sep 2023, 17:37 • #12 
Sport
The second Coronet is in the wrong box. Both reels are 1950 - 1968

Post 01 Oct 2023, 01:01 • #13 
Guide
Thanks Bill, wrong box don’t surprise me!

New Topic Add Reply