It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:07

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Jul 2023, 06:04 • #1 
Guide
I recently got a lure rod for trout fishing. The other day, I enjoyed a fishing trip using this rod, so I would like to report it.

My fishing buddy had been recommending me to try lure fishing as well as fly fishing, because it helps me enjoy fishing even in tough conditions.It rained a lot this season in and around Hiroshima, where I live, and I often encountered difficult conditions for fly fishing. This pushed me to buy a lure rod.

The rod I bought was made of fiberglass called Japan trout V-Gen GJTVS-G410ULLT made by TAPER & SHAPE. It is a 3-piece rod with a length of 4 feet 10 inches and can handle lures weighing between 1 and 6 grams (https://www.taperandshape.co.jp/glasswa ... v-gen-new/). When I gathered information before purchasing, it was introduced as a rod that excels at making accurate lure presentations for short-range targets. I told the fishing buddy that I had purchased this rod and then he immediately offered to go fishing together.

The place where we went fishing this time is a stream in a relatively high mountain area, and it is a section located downstream of the stream that I have reported before (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72475). A walking trail has been built along the stream, making it easy to access. But the area is located deep in the mountains so there is a considerable risk of encounters with bears. I in fact found bear appearing attention signboard during fishing.

The area where we enjoyed fishing this time is surrounded by sheer cliffs, and most of the area above is covered with trees. In some places, the sunbeams filtering through the trees are filtering into the surface of the stream, which was very pleasing to the eye. Lure fishing is more suitable than fly fishing because there are many large and small pools with deep water here.

I caught 3 species of fish: gogi, amago, and ugui. The size of these fish was far from the “Shaku”. Japan has a rainy season called “Tsuyu” from the beginning of June to the end of July (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asian_rainy_season). In the rainy season in Japan, it does not rain every day, and there are days when it does not rain for several days. During this period when rain stops, fish are active, so we can expect good fishing. We made this fishing trip during the period when rain stopped, but fish were less active than we expected. Probably someone other than us had already enjoyed fishing there. I’m hoping for better results on my next trip.

Thank you for looking!

Last edited by takeru on 02 Jul 2023, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Jul 2023, 06:17 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Takeru:

We do have the "Another Spin on Glass" section on Fiberglass Flyrodders where no apologies are required. ;)

Post 02 Jul 2023, 06:26 • #3 
Guide
>Bamboozle

Thanks for your advice! Next time I won't make a mistake...!

Post 02 Jul 2023, 06:38 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Nice report by the way and beautiful scenery and fish!!

I have been seriously considering the Taper & Shape GlassWay "Japan Trout V" GJTVC-410ULLT casting rod for my BFS fishing. Your post has renewed my interest.

Post 02 Jul 2023, 07:14 • #5 
Sport
What beautiful fish, and what a beautiful stream! Is the ugui a subspecies of iwana, or a different species?

Post 02 Jul 2023, 09:33 • #6 
Guide
Bamboozle wrote:
I have been seriously considering the Taper & Shape GlassWay "Japan Trout V" GJTVC-410ULLT casting rod for my BFS fishing. Your post has renewed my interest.

Through this fishing trip, I found the GJTVS-G410ULLT to be easy to present to short range targets as I have already gathered. The buddy has experience fishing with the GJTVC-410ULLT and said it has a slower action than the GJTVS-G410ULLT. Certainly, the GJTVS-G410ULLT blank would cause frequent backlashes when lure casting is performed using casting reel. I hope my information is useful to you.

Bk3nj wrote:
What beautiful fish, and what a beautiful stream! Is the ugui a subspecies of iwana, or a different species?

The ugui is a subspecies of chub. Most of Japanese fishers feel disappointed when it is caught during trout fishing...

Post 02 Jul 2023, 10:00 • #7 
Piscator
glorious report - it ended up in the right place.

Post 02 Jul 2023, 10:10 • #8 
Master Guide
Beautiful!

Thank you.

Post 02 Jul 2023, 10:57 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
takeru wrote:
Through this fishing trip, I found the GJTVS-G410ULLT to be easy to present to short range targets as I have already gathered. The buddy has experience fishing with the GJTVC-410ULLT and said it has a slower action than the GJTVS-G410ULLT. Certainly, the GJTVS-G410ULLT blank would cause frequent backlashes when lure casting is performed using casting reel. I hope my information is useful to you.

Takeru:

Is the GJTVS-G410ULLT blank the same as the GJTVC-410ULLT blank and if they are the same do you think the added ferrule is making the difference in feel?

I ask because the GJTVC-410ULLT gets good reviews for "flick casting" small lures with a proper BFS reel designed or modified for the task. The reel I would use with it with is a Shimano 22 Aldebaran BFS XG that I currently use with a Tenryu Rayz Spectra RZS51LL-BC.

Post 02 Jul 2023, 12:36 • #10 
Guide
Bamboozle wrote:
Is the GJTVS-G410ULLT blank the same as the GJTVC-410ULLT blank and if they are the same do you think the added ferrule is making the difference in feel?

I ask because the GJTVC-410ULLT gets good reviews for "flick casting" small lures with a proper BFS reel designed or modified for the task. The reel I would use with it with is a Shimano 22 Aldebaran BFS XG that I currently use with a Tenryu Rayz Spectra RZS51LL-BC.

I have little experience with recent lure rods so it's difficult to answer your questions about comparing different rods and their compatibility with reels. However, the GJTVS-G410ULLT helped me develop my flick casting technique with relative ease during this fishing trip. I had never done flick casting before.

I heard from the fishing buddy who enjoyed this fishing trip with me that the GJTVC-410ULLT has a slower action than the GJTVS-410ULLT because they don't share the same blanks. He is friends with the rod designer Yasuo Shimazu of Taper and Shape and has experiences with both rods.

Post 02 Jul 2023, 12:45 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Now I need to find a source for the GJTVC-410ULLT who ships to the USA. ;)

Post 02 Jul 2023, 13:05 • #12 
Guide
Bamboozle wrote:
Now I need to find a source for the GJTVC-410ULLT who ships to the USA. ;)

I may be able to purchase this rod for you and send it to the USA.

Post 03 Jul 2023, 08:33 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Takeru:

I appreciate the offer but I wouldn't want to put you in the middle of any of the pitfalls that might befall a privately shipped package from Japan to the USA.

I have a couple of Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) commercial sources I have yet to explore because I wasn't actively looking for the rod until your post rekindled my interest. If I am unsuccessful I will contact you via private messaging to see about the feasibility of your offer.

In the interim if you could ask your fishing buddy who is friends with the rod designer Yasuo Shimazu of Taper and Shape if he knows of any JDM dealers I could contact who inventory Taper & Shape rods.

どうもありがとうございます

Post 03 Jul 2023, 11:02 • #14 
Guide
Bamboozle:

どういたしまして。

Thanks for your consideration.

If you are unable to find a commercial source for the Japanese domestic market that accepts overseas shipments, I will work with you.

The concern is that Taper & Shape only makes a very limited number of rods. Further they do not make additional production. If the stock runs out in the market, you will look for it on the second-hand market. And in my experience, it's very rare to find the model you want on the used market due to the limited production

I will try to find a shop that has this model in stock and can ship overseas.

Post 03 Jul 2023, 14:16 • #15 
Piscator
If you can get the shop contact information to Nick, he can use noppin.com for a broker - Masamichi has very good English and the Shopping Contact board there works like a pm train.
Masamichi will call the shop, order the rod, to ship to him for Storage. His brokerage fee is about 15%. He will then pack and ship to Nick using UPS or DHL.
I just checked a past invoice - on a more expensive item like custom rod, his brokerage fee was only 6%.

Masamichi and I go back almost 20 years.
He ordered my HMT Bakelite fly reel, Izch inshore fly rod, my first rockfish rods a dozen years ago.
My Izch fly rod was rolled from scratch on order.
More recently, my Bright River rod and Smith Plugger reel (Yahoo). IXA spool bearings from KTF...lures we can't get here, like Eclipse-tune RB77...
Image Image ImageImage
Masamichi has called several lure shops for me - many will only order over the phone.
He even called Smith Ltd for me when I had a question about replacing a cracked rod handle collet. No way I could get that question answered from here.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 08 Jul 2023, 08:14, edited 3 times in total.

Post 03 Jul 2023, 19:25 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Takeru:

If you didn't surmise it from Bulldog's (Ron's) post, I am the the "Nick" to whom he is referring. ;)

Thanks Ron and thanks again Takeru!!

Post 04 Jul 2023, 04:24 • #17 
Guide
I got it Nick and Ron!
Thank you!

Post 04 Jul 2023, 10:04 • #18 
Guide
Excellent! Your photos are a joy. Thank You!!!
Carl

Post 04 Jul 2023, 11:57 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful water and nice fish. Very interesting rod. I think we are all curious to hear how you get on with procuring it, Bamboozle / Ron.

Post 07 Jul 2023, 11:17 • #20 
Sport
I've been away for a while but this is a lot of good information on how to acquire gear overseas! Thanks for all the info.

Takeru,

Those are beautiful places you are going to. I hope to experience this someday when I visit Japan. What reel are you using? It looks like a Stella.

Post 07 Jul 2023, 14:51 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
lovely, thank you..

Post 07 Jul 2023, 20:36 • #22 
Sport
What a neat post. Unfortunately a place I'll likely never see but I would love to fish that water.
Thank you for sharing

Post 08 Jul 2023, 07:54 • #23 
Piscator
Bluecrabroll wrote:
I've been away for a while but this is a lot of good information on how to acquire gear overseas! Thanks for all the info. ....

Both because of Japan banking laws and the language barrier, using a broker was the only means to purchase from Japan a dozen years ago.
Even a Rakuten purchase required a separate shipping broker.
Offshore credit cards are not accepted in Japan by law, and receiving payment then required an offshore bank account.
More recently, Stripe and paypal have solved the payment issues, and allowed a good number of Japan merchants to market direct to US.

The language barrier still exists. In the "old days", google-beta translate for Japanese was a joke - too much transliteration that fell apart.
Today, it works better, but the same two barriers still exist for Most of Japan.
Even those who market direct to US hire contract interpreters, forwarding questions and answers back and forth to the interpreter before returning an answer to you.
A few merchants have excellent working English, including Jun Sonada at JapanTackle, and Hisao Yamada at Blue Dun Fly Shop, who used to guide in Montana before returning to Japan to start his business.

Post 08 Jul 2023, 09:22 • #24 
Guide
Bluecrabroll wrote:
Those are beautiful places you are going to. I hope to experience this someday when I visit Japan. What reel are you using? It looks like a Stella.

This is a 18 Stella C2000S.
I have mainly used this for Japanese horse mackerel worm fishing.
Japanese horse mackerel is called "agi" in Japanese so this fishing is called "Aging" in Japan.
This fishing is carried out using a very light 0.5-1.0 g jig head, a 2.5-7.5 cm plastic worm, and an extremely sensitive carbon rod.
Agi is very popular in Japan as a delicious fish, and I often enjoy eating it as sashimi, rice bowls, and fried horse mackerel with my family.

bulldog:

Thanks for detailed information on how to purchase tackles from Japan.
As someone who lives in Japan, I appreciate the freedom to purchase tackles from both the international and Japanese domestic markets.

Post 09 Jul 2023, 05:28 • #25 
Piscator
of course, you're welcome - thanks for showing the agi feast.

Nice reel, btw - Stella is designed to last a lifetime.
Your Livre upgrade parts on Stella reminded me of another reason to use a broker.
SquidMania offers every Livre knob/handle combination, and at a slight discount, plus their Livre parts that no one else sells, such as add-on hook keeper for the reel stand (balancer).
Here on my inshore Twin Power

JDM rods have wide-range progressive taper, making them more versatile than most USM rods.
In longer rods, they have extreme-wide lure range. In shorter stream rods, they have crisp action that's different from para tapers on traditional short UL rods in US.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 12 Jul 2023, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply