It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:15

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Jun 2023, 13:04 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I am not the biggest fan of spinning reels because of inevitable line twist but they are my reel of choice when pan fishing with bait under a float. I have a new JDM version Shimano TwinPower on the way from Asian Portal ;) and an outing planned later in the month so I am looking for some suggestion on lines, specifically monofilament.

Suppleness and decent abrasion resistance are desired traits as well as clear or green colors. I also guess a decent diameter to break strength ratio is important as the JDM version of the reel I am getting has a shallow spool. I plan to use 6lb test line.

Any favorite brands out there for all mono spools?

FWIW - I considered going the braid to mono or fluoro leader route to cut down on twists and errant loops but my float of choice in almost all float fishing situations is a slip float with a super slim rubber stop & plastic bead.

Because I am constantly adjusting for depth when fishing from a boat but the casts are usually short(er), I anticipate issues with the braid to leader transition if I have to move the bobber stop over the knot. Obviously a really long leader would that eliminate that issue but I assume that may also negate using braid to eliminate twists if I have 10 - 20 foot leader.

I am correct in this assumption?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations offered!!

Post 02 Jun 2023, 13:53 • #2 
Piscator
Sunline Sniper and Maxima Green for mono.
Seaguar Tatsu is the top readily available fluorocarbon.
If JDM is in your realm, Toray ExThread is the single best fluorocarbon (low memory, limp, abrasion resistance).

I'm a threadline braid junkie, and will remain that way, but my finesse spinning reels have a back-up ExThread fluoro spool.
My inshore size Ticas have Tatsu spools for loaners (braid back-up), and ExThread on this Cetus with a second finesse braid spool.

Image Image

Post 02 Jun 2023, 14:00 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I kind of eliminated fluoro as an option because of memory issues since most casts I am making are light lobs or flips.

Am I missing something?

BTW - A quick check shows the Sunline Sniper as a fluorocarbon line not mono??

Thanks for the recommendations!

Post 02 Jun 2023, 15:10 • #4 
Piscator
Fair enough - Sunline Natural is the nylon mono in light test.
Finer line diameter for test will have less memory and be more limp at the same time.

The only way to eliminate memory is to go to braid.
Pretty sure you won't find a mono that outperforms Tatsu or ExThread.
Between the two, Tatsu is a little springier jumping off the spool, which ExThread wins on limp and low memory together, which is unusual in fluoro. Toray describes each diameter/test of ExThread receiving its own formulation to achieve this.

Post 02 Jun 2023, 15:37 • #5 
Sport
Bamboozle wrote:
FWIW - I considered going the braid to mono or fluoro leader route to cut down on twists and errant loops but my float of choice in almost all float fishing situations is a slip float with a super slim rubber stop & plastic bead.

Because I am constantly adjusting for depth when fishing from a boat but the casts are usually short(er), I anticipate issues with the braid to leader transition if I have to move the bobber stop over the knot. Obviously a really long leader would that eliminate that issue but I assume that may also negate using braid to eliminate twists if I have 10 - 20 foot leader.

I am correct in this assumption?

No, not really. Just run the slip float on the braid, a linkage (or swivel) under the float will serve as your hang stop to which 1'-2' tippet of mono/fluoro can go to the jig or hook.

I've been slip floating on PowerPro regular braid since near the time it hit the US market. Personally, I prefer it to any mono for this very purpose and do it down to 2/10 and 1/8. I do my stop knots on cotton swap tubes using regular ol' upholstery thread (nylon) from Walmart and the "stop beads" are nothing more than a few layers of heat shrink tube cooled over the appropriate diameter wire. Dice 'em up to appropriate size. Slickest material there is for the purpose and never cuts.

Killer reel, BTW. Rubber stops and mono on that beauty? Yeah, it'll work, but that's a heckuva hitch to tolerate on reel of such making. If you're willing to teach yourself how to do this with real slip knots, you can get huge performance on tiny components.

Post 02 Jun 2023, 16:29 • #6 
Piscator
my Twin Power is inshore size (3000MHG) with a braid spool, PE#1.2 with allbright knot to fluoro leader.

Image Image

Post 02 Jun 2023, 16:45 • #7 
Master Guide
So, if your usage is for Pan Fishing, sometimes with a float and you want a supple line, why not the "Tried-and True" clear Trilene XL? It's 25% of the cost of the more expensive lines, is super supple, performs just fine, is super-friendly on spinning reel line rollers and rod guides, and is more eco-friendly than most expensive lines. I've used 4lb test for ultra light spinning for 55 years and never an issue. I even use it to make my fly fishing leaders (different line test formulas depending on the usage).

Post 02 Jun 2023, 17:42 • #8 
Administrator
Bamboozle wrote:
Any favorite brands out there for all mono spools?

I'm in the 'change line early, change line often' camp. I've used Ande mono for literally decades. I buy bulk spools direct from Ande (join their mailing list for the frequent sales). I prefer Tournament line* because it measures thinner for a given breaking strength.

It's not that I don't like braid, I just haven't committed to doing it right. On the other hand, bad experiences with Berkley Vanish put me off fluorocarbon for good. With fluoro, buy the good stuff.

Tom

* An IGFA tournament line rating means it won't break at a value above the marked line test. Non-tournament line won't break below the marked test. There's no magic to making a "strong" line - just make it thicker.

Post 02 Jun 2023, 18:43 • #9 
Piscator
Only in the US is line sold by pound-test.
Only lines made for US market are made to be sold by test.
The entire rest of the world measures line by diameter, which is how you get accurate spool capacity measurement.
https://www.pattayafishing.net/fishing- ... estimator/
Japan sells by diameter, using traditional silk thread scale, and reports Max breaking strength in accordance with IGFA.

These fluorocarbon leaders are both #(gou) 3 diameter, and two different formulations.

I've posted this before from the YoZuri International website - USM 6-lb Hybrid measures almost 12-lb Average breaking strength.

And when you buy a $400 reel, make sure you put the cheapest line on it - not.

What you're paying for in a Twin Power is extended life on accurate management and lay of threadlines.
A lesser reel won't load threadline this flat or full, but will hourglass, causing short casts and wind knots, and,
over time, the line lay will be a reverse cone from wear and slop.

Post 02 Jun 2023, 19:46 • #10 
Sport
+1 on Springer1's take, Trilene XL just plain works well and is inexpensive!

Post 02 Jun 2023, 20:03 • #11 
Guide
I haven't tried the lines that Bulldog suggests but I keep coming back to Trilene XL on spinning reels. Most of my spinning rods don't have guides suitable for using braid.

Post 03 Jun 2023, 06:34 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
It's funny, Trilene has been my go to line my whole life and I use Vanish on my baitcasters.

I like it but I started experimenting because the twists, especially the ones I get on the Orvis 50A I use on my Orvis bamboo Superlight drive me nuts. Maybe it's the reel, maybe it's the line, maybe it's me but I want to see if I notice a difference with a different brand.

Many moons ago I tried braid but only on baitcasters. However the getting wrapped around the tip of the rod if I bounced it (something I tolerate with thread furled leaders), tangles resulting in knots that take forever to pick free and blow ups from hell were not worth the advantages to me and the kind of fishing I do with conventional tackle.

FWIW - I ordered some Sunline Super Natural monofilament in clear. It gets high ratings from a lot of folks. I have 6lb Trilene XT on my old Sustain that the new reel will replace. However echoing Bulldog's & Tom's points I bought the Sunline Super Natural in the same diameter as the 6lb XT...

...that happens to be 10lb Sunline... ;)

I also ordered some 8lb just in case I want to try something thinner for more capacity.

Post 03 Jun 2023, 06:57 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Crazy but for years I used Cortlang Camo line from 4lb to 17.It was great inexpensive line.Low memory,great knot strength .only came in the big spools .Between me and my wife we have 7 kids.Made for some interesting fishing days.The line worked in everything from Cinderalla reels to heavy baitcasters.Has not been made in at least 10 years.Also made some decent fly leaders.I have a big spool of clear 6lb I spool up the grandkids rods with.Daiwa underspins.Have few problems .The Trilene is too soft for spincast reels.Most of my UL reels I use nanofil,no longer made,or firel.ine.

Post 03 Jun 2023, 08:48 • #14 
Piscator
It wasn't a good day for either Big Game or Trilene on BR forum. The complaints cited were aging, poor knot strength, and inconsistency.
https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishi ... and-knots/
Both were go-to for me in the 80s-90s, BG on baitcast, and Trilene on spinning.

You run into similar problems discussing "braid" because it means different things to different people.
There's as much technology and quality difference between generic braid made the same way for 20 years, and the Izanas-made X-braids as their is (was) between Spider Wire copolymer and Toray ExThread. On the braid side, the difference is core construction and FEP surface coatings.

You never gave us your reel model (spool). Shimano Yumeya offers a whole range of shallow spools that essentially let you dial 100-m (or 200-m) capacity with any threadline size you want to try.
This is a shallow braid spool for a large frame reel, 4000/5000-size - 1520 spool, PE#1.5, 200 m

If 2-1/2-lb to 5-lb fluoro ever gets your interest, you owe it to yourself to try ExThread.
Last decade, I found a really good copolymer from Oz to use in salt finesse. Kamikaze FirePower.
Over its use run for me, I bought 3 charges for Tica Cetus, and one charge for Hardy Exalta, until ordering from Australia became difficult in Apr '20.
By then, I had made the switch to braid, and also found ExThread.
Image Image

Never lost a seatrout on 4-lb Kamikaze, but did lose an over-slot snook - made up for that with a spec/snook double :hat

another ps on the math - calculate the trip cost - good line becomes a tiny fraction, but worth its (light) weight in gold if it scores for you - and a bane if it fails.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 03 Jun 2023, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post 03 Jun 2023, 08:51 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
The reel I ordered from Asian Portal is the Shimano 20 Twin Power 2500SHG. It is a 6.0:1 ratio reel with a stated Mono Line capacity of (lb-m): 5-110, 6-95, 8-70.

I assume those are capacities for Japanese mono... ;)

I'm excited to get the reel because the last NEW spinning reel I bought was back in the 1990's.

Thanks again for the recommendations & info!

Post 03 Jun 2023, 08:59 • #16 
Piscator
You're welcome, and enjoy that great (mid-frame) reel. It will last you forever.

Post 03 Jun 2023, 10:24 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
At the rate I buy new spinning gear it might have to last me forever. ;)

Post 03 Jun 2023, 13:18 • #18 
Piscator
I have niches pretty well defined for all my tackle, and spinning has a major in salt finesse - just like there are some lures that cast better on BFS, complex rigs cast better on the spinning finesse tackle.
Likewise, last trip, my bay tackle for days was 3 bait rods, finesse to MH, but I brought my Twin Power on wide-range medium bay rod to cast lures into the wind from the lighted channel bulkhead at night - and got some action that way.

Post 03 Jun 2023, 15:04 • #19 
Master Guide
Great info here! Thanks guys!

Post 03 Jun 2023, 19:40 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
BTW - As I am a bit of a fanatic in regard to taking care of what I own, at the same time I ordered my reel, I ordered a custom leather reel case for it from this guy on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Tubymuchowepl ... =999645027

If you are so inclined, I can recommend the quality of his stuff with NO reservation!

Post 04 Jun 2023, 05:38 • #21 
Piscator
Thanks for the heads up - my leather TSA rod tube looks just like his, wonder if he sold on ebay 20 years ago

his leather reel cases are very nice indeed.

I have neoprene over-rod covers for all my reels, and keep back-ups in my kayak lap hold in a small Pelican case.

My spools are in Hedgehog cans, and I carry a compliment in my leader kit waterproof case.
Reels making the trip that don't travel rigged on rods are in their neoprene covers in my 19" Chapman Tay bag.
Josh exclaimed once - you have a bag of reels...

For truck travel, I used to fold my rigged-rod handles in the foredeck bungee on my kayak, but the bed-rail bike rack in my new truck makes two killer rod holders.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 04 Jun 2023, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post 04 Jun 2023, 06:57 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
When I was a kid I stored my reels in old (clean ;)) crew socks. I guess that's why the first two spinning reels I ever bought with lawn cutting money and still own look almost new. Later when I purchased new stuff I had the neoprene covers but I also made fleece drawstring bags to store them in as well.

What's nice about this Etsy guy (Toby) is he will make you something in a custom size. When I got my 2022 Aldebaran BFS reel I had him tweak the size of one his standard "multiplier" cases so it fit the reel even better.

I also found another seller that had some nice suede drawstring bags so I could give the reel a little extra protection inside the leather case because even though the zippers Toby uses are plastic, they can scratch a reel's finish if you aren't careful.

As far a bulk storage goes, I have a slew of the Abel reel briefs and carriers that I bought on eBay when Steve & Gina sold the company and the luggage went away. Little did I realize he would later resurrect the gear storage company under his own name so I even bought more!! ;)

Post 04 Jun 2023, 12:00 • #23 
Sport
As a 16 year old I worked my butt off and saved to buy a really expensive JDM shimano baitcaster that I still use to this day, over 24 years old. There are some cosmetic defects but it is still my favorite reel to this day. I never thought as a 16 year old that it would be a forever reel but I was also meticulous about caring for my gear.

For my personal use I also use Sunline and Seaguar. One thing I learned from the fishing guides was to use braid as a "backing" since nylon/fluoro is so expensive nowadays. I also connect it using an albright knot and itnever affected how things spooled.

Your twin power sounds very sweet!

Post 04 Jun 2023, 13:33 • #24 
Piscator
That's a great example of the quality spectrum.
Here's a salt reel backed with inexpensive Yozuri braid and topped with Seaguar Abrazx.
. Image Image

Going the other way, here's a salt MH reel backed with 20 yds of 25-lb Maxima Green to make a lightweight arbor, and topped with PE#2 Varivas Shore Master X-braid.

In my book, some braid is only good for backing, and if you're changing expensive fluoro frequently as you should, a smaller amount of working line is easier to swallow.

At the other end of braid (from the YoZuri backing), this PE#1.2 YGK X-braid (on shallow braid-specific spool) has fished my salt ML niche 3 hard years (without a single backlash casting light lures), and landed my lifetime speckled trout last month (with a new fluoro leader).
Image Image

Post 05 Jun 2023, 07:18 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Friend of the family recently passed.He left little goody boxes for some of us.For me it was several dozen Crown bags.Great for reel storage . I am currently selling off most of my vintage rods and reels.Some of the proceeds will toward modern spinning and casting reels.Then of course I will need more suitable line.

The big DAM reel was paired with a blue GC glass surf rod.The Mitchell 350 is paired with a NOS GC 4star Agate guide medium rod.It has been harder than I thought to part with these even tho I will never fish them.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply