It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:44

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Jun 2023, 09:28 • #1 
Master Guide
For years I have reconsidered getting back into sturgeon (having fished only a few times in the last 20 years). The last time I went was 6 years ago and my 6 year old son (at the time) had great fun reeling in a 7' fish. This came to an end when I had him get out of the boat with the fish for a picture and he freaked out and started balling.

Fast forward to yesterday. I recently won a bid on a blem Hamachi jigging rod with the following specs: 1.65m, 2pc, 40-100# rating with max load of 40# at a 45deg angle. The rod appears to be fiberglass based on the color of the spigot. I paired the rod with an Avet Raptor HXW 5/2 2speed reel that has a 40# strike and 50# max drag setting. This setup is very light weight compared with my other boat sturgeon outfits from the past which were very heavy (Penn 30TW, Diawa 600H and 900H, and Shimano Tiagra 80).

I spooled up the reel with ~250 yards 80# spectra and using an FG knot added 100-150 yards 80# Trilene Big Game as a topshot.
I tested the rod/reel under a 20# load and confirmed there was no difficulty lifting the weights off the floor.

Yesterday evening I decided to "break in" the outfit for the first time so I headed to my favorite sturg fishing spots which remain generally boat free for miles on weekdays and this time didnt disappoint as I saw no boats on my sunset 15 mile boat ride back to the primative launch.

At my first spot I anchored in 7 ft of water, tossed out my favorite sturgeon "candy" and fished about an hour without luck before packing up and moving to spot# 2. At spot #2 I anchored in 5 ft of water close to a powerful eddy with occasional scary whirlpools. After 15 minutes a fish bit and the fight was ON! The rod handled the fish with finesse and the 92" fish was done in about 10 minutes.

After that fish I moved to spot #3. 5 minutes later another fish took my sturgeon candy (on 10/0 barbless gamakatsu) and proceeded to run full speed upstream getting well into my 80# spectra backing before I was able to get my boat motor started and catch up to it. It is quite difficult soloing a large fish on 20# drag while fumbling to pull up anchor and start the manual pull outboard. This fish was bigger and ended up taking me about 2 miles down stream and about 30 minutes to land in the strong current. This one went 115".

At this point the sun was starting to set and I was worn out and getting cold from standing waste deep in water trying to measure and take pictures so another fish was out of the question. The best part was a peaceful 15 mile boat ride in glassy condition in pure solitude back to the boat launch! I am very pleased with this new Japanese "Ugly Stik".

Thanks for looking!

Post 02 Jun 2023, 09:52 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Wow !!

Post 02 Jun 2023, 12:00 • #3 
Piscator
woo hoo !!!

I hope you were worn out.

Post 02 Jun 2023, 12:00 • #4 
Master Guide
Insane !!!!

Reminds me of the the song Fish On by the band Primus .
I remember MTV sports did a special “fishin” with Primus episode ..
Good stuff in 1992
Here a you tube link for some laughs..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TYYHnxzRD90

[Republishing a full set of song lyrics without permission is pretty much a classic case of copyright violation. Please post a link instead. Tom]

Mike Keep On .. Fishin ON ! :P
Scotto

Post 02 Jun 2023, 12:55 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Unreal.And i think 30lb cats and carp are huge.You sure are in ĝreat area for all kinds of fishing Mike.Truly blessed.And you sure know how to make the best of it.Great pics and you accomplish all this solo.Just amazing.

Post 02 Jun 2023, 13:51 • #6 
Master Guide
Awesome catch!
I would not call a sturgeon a fish!....more of a beast! definitely not fishing alone! :-)

Post 02 Jun 2023, 13:56 • #7 
Sport
Great Story and Photos. Thanks for the ride along.

Post 02 Jun 2023, 14:11 • #8 
Master Guide
Thanks guys. Great stuff Scotto, thanks for story and tunes!

A bit sore today. The most difficult thing with landing these fish is safely getting to shore in strong current, getting the motor up before the prop hits boulders and jumping in (sometime chest deep) before the fish tows the boat back out to deep water just after killing the outboard. Getting in and out of the boat in flip flops holding the rod and gunnell without twisting an ankle or destroying my shins is taxing. These fish are not necessarily cooperative. Just reeling them to the surface is really only 1/2 the battle.

Post 06 Jun 2023, 18:03 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
wow. I had no idea there were enough sturgeon to actually intentionally fish for them..
3 in an evening would be a good day for me bass fishing, 3 monster sturgeon is superlative.. wow again.
Love that first sturgeon pic, it has a hint of Jurassic Park to it..

Post 06 Jun 2023, 23:09 • #10 
Sport
Whoa! 2 monsters in one evening. What a great way to get back into sturgeon fishing.

Post 14 Jul 2023, 19:53 • #11 
Master Guide
Thats awsome... I remember when I was living in eastern WA seeing the sturgeon at the fish ladders on the snake and all the guys with the big surf rods below the damn fishing for them.

Russell

Post 14 Jul 2023, 21:21 • #12 
Master Guide
Late to this thread but Mike, I’m amazed. Truly epic fishing (catching) and superb handling. Did you ever find out anything more about the rod? I assume it is fiberglass. Wondering if Ron has ever seen this rod?

Post 14 Jul 2023, 21:41 • #13 
Master Guide
Dave,

Dont know much about the rod but im sure its fiberglass. They are readily available on ebay. I am completely satisfied with mine. I ended up paying $87 plus shipping for it.

Post 15 Jul 2023, 07:50 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Based on this video that's probably more rod than you need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDwZRSb5OW0

Post 15 Jul 2023, 07:55 • #15 
Piscator
Sure makes a sweet combo with that beautiful Avet.

I have my Seigler SGN on a TackleDirect Platinum Kingfish rod (e-glass).

Post 15 Jul 2023, 08:13 • #16 
Master Guide
Hilarius video! Thanks for sharing it.

Very nice combo Ron! Never heard of a Seigler reel. Had to look them up. Extremely nice reels.

I need to get my FF9012/FinNor 4.5 with Rio T20 out with a heavily scented fly and see what it can do.

New Topic Add Reply