It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:51

New Topic Add Reply
Shimano SLX Glass
Post 02 Jun 2023, 05:07 • #1 
Master Guide
Bought a Shimano SLX Glass Medium Light for a Calcutta 100XT, the rod is so stiff I doubt there is any glass in it :-)

I thought would be fun on smallies/schoolies on the Calcutta 100XT but have yet to lined up the Calcutta so I used the Abu 4500C, I was able to cast an unweighted sluggo type rubber bait to about 24 feet which was how wide the stream is. When stripers are runnning, I stay close to home and leave the trout for fall fishing.

A short but gluttonous LMB probably chowing down on alewives

Shared the stream with a couple of FF

Re: Shimano SLX Glass
Post 02 Jun 2023, 06:47 • #2 
Piscator
Cool report.
Don't know enough about the rod, but modern bait and spinning rods marked glass are usually a blend of graphite and S-glass.
Many venerable glass bait rods are going to be S-glass.

Sounds like your ML tip will be just right for your target niche.

Many offshore rods are made in e-glass - Crowder inshore e-glass isn't listed on their website any more, instead listing IM6 and blends.
That said, I'll give you a very strong recommendation for their E-Serite Lite (IM6), which they offer in a 6' MM (this is my 7'er)
Crowder hand-makes all their blanks in US..

One thing that's not on my list, but may be someday, Modern Japanese offset handles and blades made for old-style round reels go all the way to inshore sizes.
The tackle is so limited, finding it is a patient Yahoo exercise.

Post 02 Jun 2023, 09:50 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Cool !

I recently acquired a Shimano Curado 6'10" L "glass" rod (part number even has "BFS" in it), but could find no info on the mix on Shimano's US site. Nice rod for the kayak, and managed to catch four nice bucketmouths on it with my Alphas SV TW and some Niko hellgrammites. Unfortunately it was one of those off days when I forgot to bring a camera :(

Post 06 Jun 2023, 18:05 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
excellent..

New Topic Add Reply