It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:04

New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Apr 2023, 17:29 • #1 
Piscator
Josh, Will and I had to drive 140 mi today to find water, and we had a great trip, great exploring - even fish.
We explored the N. fork of the Llano, which I've never fished, and Josh said he's only made 3 trips this far over the last decade.
Since I came from the east, we drove separately, and met at the first crossing.
We also need Josh to add his photos and narrative to round this out.
After the last two days flooding, we found chocolate water.

We fished here 2 hours, all the gear worked great, but the fish weren't cooperating.

Decided to take our exploration farther upriver, hoping to find less-turbid water - less chert in the run-off.
We loaded up the boats, drove 5 miles up a dirt road. crossed the river 5 times -- two of those on the wet flagstone - and found a wide spot where we could see the structure.

This time it paid off. My first cast, right after Josh said, "first fish gets a dollar"

While I fished 2 of the rods I brought, the only one that mattered was the Smith SS/Plugger with inline keel spinner.

Everyone caught fish here, we paddled as far as we could, and got out to explore farther.
A native cichlid here made Josh's day.

With the long drive home, we were out of time and had to blast back at 1:30.
Josh didn't invite me until 7pm last night, so I only had time to load - no time for provisions.
Good thing Josh brought IPAs and jalapeno-cheese sausage to share.
Great group and great time.

A maiden voyage for my new truck. Got to use the 4WD, and the 10-sp transmission was a jewel climbing the divides on the interstate in cruise control.

Post 22 Apr 2023, 23:14 • #2 
Guide
Great pics! I miss my trips out that way. Most of my fishing out there was on the South Llano but I did fish a few times on North Llano by Roosevelt. There are some huge bass in those pools!

Post 23 Apr 2023, 07:34 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Nicely done, Ron.

Post 23 Apr 2023, 13:01 • #4 
Master Guide
Looks like a really fun trip with the new truck!, kayak and cool baitcaster outfit. Nice largemouth! Kayaks are such a perfect tool for exploratory work on creeks like that.

Post 23 Apr 2023, 15:37 • #5 
Sport
So, the plan for yesterdays trip changed, many, many times before ultimately kayaks got involved and a very late text to Ron asking if he'd like to join my friend Will and I for a quick trip. Ron and I had been discussing a kayak trip for this spring, but due to the drought in Texas our Hill Country rivers are staring this year off in bad shape; although recent rains have helped some. There are only a handful of rivers I would consider kayakable at this point; the North Llano being one of them.

This was my third trip to the North Llano in two years, first with kayaks. OF the crossings I've scouted there are 4 or 5 worth bringing a kayak to fish it. We launched at one of the crossing and paddled our way up stream through thick lily pads.

As mentioned, our Hill Country has received some much needed rains recently, and I underestimated the amount and impact of the runoff. So the water dirtier than I would have liked. We regrouped at the launch and tossed around some ideas on how to approach a another launch. We threw out driving to other rivers, but before making a drastic change we went up stream to the last (first?) public access point to see if we could get far enough up the watershed to find cleaner water. Although not clear, it was cleaner water and worth launching to explore. Prior to launching I made a bet for the first person who caught any fish would get a $1. Ron won, and I didn't pay up; please don't put a lien on my house.

Ron's bass:

After that bass we all started to catch some fish. I landed some sunfish, a small Guadalupe bass, and my favorite Rio Grande Cichlid.

After this second stop Will and I needed to get back to San Antonio, but not before a cold IPA and some jalapeño & cheese summer sausage.

Thanks for coming along exploring a new river.

Post 23 Apr 2023, 16:13 • #6 
Piscator
Josh, thanks for that great post.
Also guys, thanks for your attention to this thread and kind comments.

Post 25 Apr 2023, 08:36 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a good time ! Colorful cichlid.

Post 26 Apr 2023, 06:42 • #8 
Piscator
Thanks friend, we'll be back here when it warms and clears a bit.

BTW, we didn't post the exact location when we edited our essays for TKF forum.

Also, a review of my Meiho modular tackle box, which was as useful as the skeg on the little Redfish 10 this trip.
I've been nuts for versatile Meiho lure boxes for several years, and added them with just about every Japan order.
1200 boxes
800 boxes

When I ran out of places to stack the lure boxes, decided I needed to add a Meiho tackle box (ok, 2), if nothing else, just for a filing cabinet.
I picked this Meiho VS7080 because it exactly fits in the little sternwell of the Redfish 10.
These first photos were its maiden use, our trip to Arroyo in February, where Steve dubbed it "The Swiss Army Knife of tackle boxes"
It took the place of 2 milk crates on that trip.
There are all sorts of inner and outer add-ons, rod and drink holders, outer pockets, tippet and line-spool dispensers, inner trays and baskets.
Places on the outside of the box to securely hang the add-ons, inner trays, etc.

This size box exactly fits Meiho 1200 lure boxes in the long direction, and 800 boxes in the short direction.
The lure boxes come in 3 thicknesses, NS (25 mm), ND (40 mm), and NDD (60 mm).
The different boxes can be arranged to efficiently hold everything from packaged plastic baits and popping corks to micro-jigs.

For this trip, I needed three 800 lure boxes, and the inner basket for spinnerbaits and for quickly hanging swapped-out lures.
There's room for two more 800 boxes laying flat (or lunch if I had better provisions to pack).

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 26 Apr 2023, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Apr 2023, 09:40 • #9 
Master Guide
That is one heck of a cool tacklebox! Looks perfect for kayak fishing.

I have wondered about those pretty cichlids if they tasted anything like a sunfish since they are not related. Anyone eat them?

Post 26 Apr 2023, 10:26 • #10 
Piscator
Hi Mike,
Never tried eating one, but they should be firm, white meat.

They get pretty big in our favorite water on the Sabinal.

They can also be wormy with their tolerance for heat - they can survive skinny 90-degree pools.

When hooked, they strobe-light their markings, half-white and half-black.
Shonto Game Ranch on Turtle Ck. west of Kerrville, they have purina-fed ones to 3-1/2 lbs.

Post 26 Apr 2023, 10:44 • #11 
Master Guide
Great post
A most excellent adventure ! ;)

Post 26 Apr 2023, 11:46 • #12 
Piscator
thanks Scotto - Josh and I make a good tag-team.

I'll add this about the Mukai Max spinner - it comes with a single bare hook, intended for a plastic shad tail.

I swap the bare hook with a pre-tied woolly booger.
Bottom-bouncing this on the flagstone is almost cheating.

Post 13 May 2023, 17:36 • #13 
Master Guide
RIO’s!! On my bucket list.

New Topic Add Reply