It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:23

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Mar 2023, 15:23 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I am looking for a glass BFS rod at 4'10" but I really don't want more than two pieces and I'm not interested in anything made in Asia other than Japan.

Ideally it will have one of those really nice wood insert reel seats and minimum other bling.

I'd rather not have to wait a year for a rod if that's possible?

I've seen some interesting options from Major Craft (not sure about COO), Ito Craft & Souls Finalist (not sure of they offer casting rods), Taper & Shape (pricey), M-Aire (not sure if they have 2pcs), Anglo (very pricey and hard to get) and Darren Keats from Resilure but he has limited two piece banks and so far hasn't disclosed his blank source.

Does anyone know if Mike McFarland makes conventional fishing rod blanks?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any insight to something I missed.

Post 23 Mar 2023, 15:38 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
After my experience last year with a certain rodmaker whose name is now censored on this forum, I'm now more careful about dealing with custom builders. I waited six months and only managed to get my rod after disputing the credit card charge; I was initially convinced that too long had passed, but Mastercard went to bat for me there.

Anyway, one of the folks you mention only accepts bank transfers and Paypal "friends & family", which does not have the same dispute resolution standards as regular Paypal. I bailed on the transaction when I found out that is the only Paypal option he accepts; his website was not straightforward about this. He then proceeded to tell me why I should trust him, blah blah blah. Sorry, no deal.

Caveat emptor. Just sayin'.

Post 23 Mar 2023, 18:16 • #3 
Master Guide
I recently received a 4’10” glass BFS rod from Shane (Graywolf) that fits your criteria except that it’s three piece. Also a two piece 4’9” BFS rod from him that’s made from a Hexagraph blank with duronze ferrule. It’s solid carbon fiber, of course, but feels more like a cross between glass and bamboo. If I were you, I’d have a talk with Shane about what he might put together for you. I have no idea what his wait time would be on a custom, having only bought rods he’d already finished, but the workmanship is great, and the the BFS rods truly have BFS action.

Post 24 Mar 2023, 04:39 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Odonata:

I hear you although if and when it got down to trigger pulling time, I would bail on anything but a PayPal transaction.

Cross Creek:

I already asked Shane but he won't do a two piece and I don't want a three piece.

New Topic Add Reply