It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:15

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Mar 2023, 15:12 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Blue/black pork frogs and jigs was also a favorite back in the day.One of my old friends pulled 2 9bl,at least,bass out of the same laydown during a snowstorm in early March many years ago.I caught nothing using the same bait.Blue is suprisingly good in very stained water.I found a few more top waters and will post them soon.My beat up laptop does not play nice with my phone so may have to post them via phone.BD-what material is the crawdad?Soft hollow body?Always looking for a new slop bait.We have so much slime on everything,even the now gin clear Lake Michigan is slime covered on the bottom.By late spring the surface slime blooms.

Post 15 Mar 2023, 16:36 • #27 
Piscator
Of course this is a thread about wood plugs. Not old home week or look what I was taught.
I've always described myself as the tough to mentor type, and would-be mentors creep me out.
Frog lures are a special design just for those impenetrable veggies.

They're a rubber balloon stretched around a double hook and half-ounce or more jig weight.
They're made to float, throw into anything, and fish out. Hard to set, takes a fast rod, plus you have to haul the fish out of the veggies.

Post 15 Mar 2023, 19:12 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks BD,i thought they looked familiar.Have some frogs like that but not a crayfish.Not trying to mentor anyone.If you have the goods i am sure you know how to use them.Looking thru and talking about the classic wood plugs just brings back old memories.Just recalling how I was taught to fish them and of course we work out our own methods for our local waters.My son who is a much more accomplished angler than i ever was or will be still throw a Devil Horse or similar wood prop bait now and then.

These are plastic but early a musky sizeJB and a big Cisco KID

Post 15 Mar 2023, 23:54 • #29 
Master Guide
This thread is bringing back fond memories of childhood fishing experiences with my uncle and grandmother in north Mississippi. My grandmother’s all time favorite lure was the black jitterbug.

She will be 95 in May and is the toughest, wittiest, and most hospitable person I’ve ever met - and she’s caught more bass over 5lbs than I will ever come close to catching.

Post 17 Mar 2023, 08:33 • #30 
Piscator
Thanks again for posting, and interest in this thread.
Running out of examples to show, but this older photo shows some beauties.
Again, the Spook Jr's are new boxed plugs made by Smith in Japan, and come in the Dowiagiac reproduction boxes.

The Smith "factory" fire tiger color on the right kinda of gives it away.
Mike, another specialty color, red and pink are very effective in low-angle sunlight, early morning and late afternoon.
The reason, transmitted light through the baitfish body, literally showing its guts to the gamefish.

The Haneda Craft Barrell II (now OOS) in peacock, was just too pretty and classic to pass.
Along the bottom are wood micro plugs for BFS.
The Lure Rep U4 on the left is a float/dive micro Rapala. Sinking Ito Craft 4-g Bowie casts like a bullet,.
The smallest single-hook Lure Rep UP2 on the bottom right fishes like a suspending plug -
- at 2 g, it's the lightest thing I fish on my stream BFS in limestone creeks.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 17 Mar 2023, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Mar 2023, 09:22 • #31 
Master Guide
This stuff is really good! Thanks for the info on the reproduction lures.

Got my beater boo bass rod in the mail yesterday. Ordered some black dacron for it. Going to need a few wood topwater plugs for it. Hopefully its castable with at a large vintage plug. Cant wait till this summer to make some nostalgia.

Post 17 Mar 2023, 09:49 • #32 
Piscator
trick combo

ps - Isuzu builds reproductions of the old direct-drive Langleys (and Abu Record), sold as Tabby and Revolver.

Post 17 Mar 2023, 10:30 • #33 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
trick combo

ps - Isuzu builds reproductions of the old direct-drive Langleys (and Abu Record), sold as Tabby and Revolver.

Thanks for the info. Didnt know about those reproductions.
I figure if I cant cast the P51 reel (like new shape) that came with this beater old heddon rod I will just put on one of my two ABU Record reels to make it work. Here is one of them on my Phillipson baitcaster when I was tried for a coho trolling in my old kayak.

Post 17 Mar 2023, 10:58 • #34 
Piscator
That's a great photo - thanks for posting that. I have a larger plastic version of that basic Ike/flatfish design (think this is the Rebel version),
black, white and silver glitter, that was a constant producer for me as a teenager.
Also had a brown jointed version that I can't find - must have fed it to sunken lumber.
Amazing how many bass I caught on a handful of lures back then.

(ps - I was thinking about the older direct drive Abu Record, and your reel is a beaut)

Post 17 Mar 2023, 15:35 • #35 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
That's a great photo - thanks for posting that. I have a larger plastic version of that basic Ike/flatfish design (think this is the Rebel version),
black, white and silver glitter, that was a constant producer for me as a teenager.
Also had a brown jointed version that I can't find - must have fed it to sunken lumber.
Amazing how many bass I caught on a handful of lures back then.

(ps - I was thinking about the older direct drive Abu Record, and your reel is a beaut)

Yes an older ABU record would be more appropriate, I agree.

Edit..

Just tried putting some old braid I had on the P51 and was able to cast the standard size jitterbug just fine for modest distances. The musky sized jitterbug would be easier to cast though.

Post 17 Mar 2023, 19:19 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
I’d have to say my most successful bass plug has been the Dalton Special. The photo shows three originals and one that was produced by Luhr-Jensen. (The top one in the pic.). The only ones I have ever fished are the Luhr-Jensen remakes. Sadly, these are no longer available.

The rod & reel are a Heddon Chieftain and a Shakespeare Marhoff.

Post 17 Mar 2023, 20:55 • #37 
Master Guide
gaddis wrote:
I’d have to say my most successful bass plug has been the Dalton Special. The photo shows three originals and one that was produced by Luhr-Jensen. (The top one in the pic.). The only ones I have ever fished are the Luhr-Jensen remakes. Sadly, these are no longer available.

The rod & reel are a Heddon Chieftain and a Shakespeare Marhoff.

Very nice rod, reel and lures! Thanks for sharing!

Post 18 Mar 2023, 08:10 • #38 
Piscator
Gaddis, thanks for the perfect reply, and for showing that great wood prop-tail.

Shouldn't be too difficult to find one very similar in Japan (Lim's Doris Delta below is really close),
though you might be shocked by the price, which is affected by limited runs, and their collector's market.
But as my OP showed, Japan handmade quality is astounding.
Everything in Japan has a mint, boxed collector's market, with consignment shops selling them on Yahoo.
The lure shops will let you reserve them when a new run is announced.

Post 18 Mar 2023, 12:32 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
Those look good BD.Will look into them.Like the double hooks.Going thru alot of my stuff .I have some Yozuri wood cranks some where .They are the little snap beans and some others.Will post em when i find em.Here are a few more od plugs.

Post 18 Mar 2023, 22:09 • #40 
Sport
I pretty much fish shallow water bass in the evening using old tackle. I've tried many many old lures and most top water baits catch fish if manipulated correctly. Here are ten that have really proven succesful and that I use regularly. I try to fish with plugs that are older than myself. I am 79. Two baits shown here were homemade by myself over 50 years ago and still consistantly produce.The small Isle Royale Plunker (red & white) and the wooden Jitterbug have a long history of success on big bass.

Post 18 Mar 2023, 22:38 • #41 
Piscator
Great stuff guys, keep 'em coming. Bill, that wood Jitterbug is especially choice.

Speaking of just about any topwater fished right will catch fish, we've seen the beer and coke can lures, and the Japanese go to their extremes, also.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 19 Mar 2023, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Mar 2023, 22:53 • #42 
Sport
Speaking of wood jitterbugs, I am well siupplied. All these range fron 1939 through 1941.

Post 18 Mar 2023, 23:05 • #43 
Piscator
great collection

Post 20 Mar 2023, 00:38 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Bill, wow !
I have only plastic jitterbugs from the 70s, that is a wonderful assortment of the wood ones..

Post 21 Mar 2023, 19:43 • #45 
Master Guide
Nice array of vintage and new stuff! I have a vintage wooden muskie jitterbug on the way for my newly acquired heddon vintage bamboo rod/reel. Just spooled it with some black dacron and was casting a modern plastic jitterbug. It casts better than I expected so it should be at least as good with a bigger heavier plug. Going to get it done this summer on a bucketmouth.

Last edited by fishhuntmike on 21 Mar 2023, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Mar 2023, 20:50 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
That is awesome Mike,same kind of stuff my buddy that just moved to Texas uses .I trade quite a few old casting rods to him.A couple like new cane heddons and some early glass.Got some nice vintage glass fly and ul spinning rods.

Post 21 Mar 2023, 21:07 • #47 
Master Guide
the hersh wrote:
That is awesome Mike,same kind of stuff my buddy that just moved to Texas uses .I trade quite a few old casting rods to him.A couple like new cane heddons and some early glass.Got some nice vintage glass fly and ul spinning rods.

Sweet! Just dabbling in bamboo. Savoring the nostalgic experience for the first time.

Post 30 Mar 2023, 10:47 • #48 
Piscator
ok, a few more to show - this will be the last round.
These are all 2-3", 1/4 to 3/8 oz

If you're wondering how I find these on Yahoo.
http://oh-chuck.com/
http://sawamura777.com/?pid=171932424
I will go to a site like Oh! Chuck or Sawa, find something that interests me, toggle back and forth between English and Japanese on google translate.
Copy the Japanese ideograms, and search that on Yahoo - if you try searching English words on Yahoo, you get a lot of goop in return.

Post 30 Mar 2023, 10:54 • #49 
Master Guide
Very cool lures Ron! Thanks for the links.

BTW I just got my wooden muskie jitterbug in the mail as well as an old tacklebox stuffed with some vintage goodies to go with my Heddon bamboo rod and reel. Cant wait for summer to get here.

Post 30 Mar 2023, 21:28 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Those are nice BD .Maybe these will become more popular and more easily available.Mike -what can i say,you have outfitted yourself very well.

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply