It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:23

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Mar 2023, 12:56 • #51 
Master Guide
Thanks Hersh and thanks for sharing your stuff too!

Post 01 Apr 2023, 07:25 • #52 
Piscator
uh oh, you started a new page - now you have to show a photo.

....ok, guess I'll have to DIY.
I have one last wood finesse plug to show.
These are the Bass Pond Chico finesse plugs, 5 to 7 g, and up to 50 mm.
Keel Chico dog walking plug on top

I was delighted to get the BP Chico Frog on bottom, which gets us back to my OP - lures that make action when sitting still.
This one, Oh! Chuck website indicated stock, and required communication between Masamichi at noppin.com and the lure shop to verify that last example in stock and make the purchase.

Post 01 Apr 2023, 10:57 • #53 
Master Guide
Ooo I like the frog one. Cool stuff.

I pulled out the wood lures from the old tackle box and layed them out. I can see myself using a few of them for bass or muskie fishing.

I definitely remember the creek chub pikies, mudd bugs, and a devil horse or two in mom's tacklebox (which im sure was from my grandfather) as a youngster. I do remember mudd bugs being eventually made out of aluminum at some point. My favorite were mom's jitterbugs and hula poppers, however i stopped fishing hula poppers about 40-45 years ago because i couldnt cover water as quickly as with the jitterbug (night fishing). Im looking forward to catching some fish with a few of these this summer. I might try the creek chub pikie for pike or muskie. Definitely will use the devils horses.

Post 01 Apr 2023, 11:37 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
Nice Mike.the upper left seems to be a jointed darter ,very nice in frog pattern..Kind of a rare lure if i remember correctly.Pre online selling days most of those old plugs had value.Some still do but like many things once the word got out everybody scoured their attics for old tackle boxes and the "rare" factor was not true for many things.The frog is way cool BD.I will post more as i dig them out.Have to down size now that i have the time.I have some fly rod hula poppers made of wood ,Not casting plugs but pretty cool how the tackle companies covered all the bases at the time.I make my bass bugs out of balsa stock and try to achieve the same motion at rest as many of the wood baits did just without the limiting factor of treble hooks in or near thick weeds.I pretty much fly fish the same way i use casting or spinning gear.Every where i fish locally has been taken over by slime and weeds.Hard to even fish a Texas rigged worm ,wacky senkos are my main bass bait the last few years and bass bugs on the surface.

Post 01 Apr 2023, 12:02 • #55 
Master Guide
Thanks Hersh for the plug assessment. Thats really cool you are making your own lures!
Yes I too hardly fish texas rigged plastic worms anymore and that was my primary technique in '79 thru the 90s. Caught my first big bass when I was 13 after reading about them in my Bassmaster magazines (my parents never taught me).
I mostly fish wacky sencos for summer largemouth bass if its not nighttime now days. I used to fish live waterdogs in the 1980 time frame but havent seen them sold for 40 years.

Post 02 Apr 2023, 16:23 • #56 
Piscator
That's a major jitterbug - thanks for posting guys.
btw, the Japanese make their current versions in wood.
Here's one example

I thought this one looked interesting, too - like a topwater Pico Perch

The Japanese make many tall, narrow topwaters, that you'd expect to have erratic action, and also look like a bluegill or a natural shad.

Post 03 Apr 2023, 07:49 • #57 
Master Guide
Those CharmyCup lures look really good! I like the modern take on a classic lure.

Post 03 Apr 2023, 08:04 • #58 
Piscator
Thanks Mike,
as you can tell, I like the GaullaCraft pattern they call Coach

It gives the impression of aggression markings in many sunfish species.

Post 01 Mar 2024, 16:25 • #59 
Glass Fanatic
I just received a shipment from Japan and along with some reel parts I ordered some surface plugs. These are a couple of them. Pretty nice lures. Going to be hard to beat them up on fish...

Post 01 Mar 2024, 17:44 • #60 
Piscator
Jeff, thanks for posting - those are gorgeous.
I recognize two Zeal Terror, which are a great buy in the Japan wood lure market.
The third one is like a Spook Jr, but not exact - who made it?

I have 3 to show, also.
Top to bottom,
Joker No Dance, color Headz Burst (Headhunters lure shop), 1/4 oz
Buddy and Dog's Dog-B-III, color Gintana, 1/2 oz, weight in the back
Joker Minnowing Jo, color Joker Sunburst, 1/2 oz, weight in the back

Both of the Joker lures have flukes that dive the nose and makes wide zig zag.
The colors and patterns on all three should all work great for first-light mullet.

ps - these got hook covers when they went back into the lure box.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 01 Mar 2024, 18:36, edited 2 times in total.

Post 01 Mar 2024, 18:14 • #61 
Glass Fanatic

That third plug was listed as a Valley Hill Walkin' Shad Foil Pencil Bait. It seems to be made similar to a Rapala with a wood core and plastic over foil body. It has a nice weight to it and It was the least expensive of the five lures I just took delivery on at 1000 JPY BIN.

I really like all those new lures you posted. I am going to try and not going looking for any more for a bit until I can get back out on the water and really assess my actual need.

Post 01 Mar 2024, 18:22 • #62 
Piscator
Thanks - those are great.
Zeal (now out of business, but still prolific in the market) and Gaulla Craft are the best buys.
The others are a little more boutique, tend to sell out in advance when they're announced.
Headhunters lure shop does a good job of keeping the biggest stock in Japan. Pretty much all of the tackle purveyors are wood lure makers first.

Post 02 Mar 2024, 10:32 • #63 
Guide
I read this thread with some interest and would mention this. If anyone of you is interested in some vintage gear to wing them plugs; i’ve got [edited to] stuff that need a new home. All are in excellent condition. If you have any interest let me know and i’ll post them all proper like with photos in the proper location.

[I edited this post because any way I look at it, it will lead to a sale offer. If you have fishing gear that needs a new home, just list it in For Sale and see what happens. Transactions of all kinds are limited to the For Sale and Wanted sections. Transactions are only valid a short time and shouldn't be part of the permanent forum archives.

Gear looking for a new home should be listed in For Sale with a starting price, even if the price is very low and negotiable. See, For Sale - Requirements and Recommendations. The idea is to make all costs of the transaction clear to both parties - Tom]

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply