It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 01:21

New Topic Add Reply
Winter whitefish
Post 10 Feb 2023, 12:16 • #1 
Master Guide
Well yesterday evening I drove 2.5hrs to one of Washingtons fine 27,000 acre winter whitefish fisheries to fish a few hours (before and after sunset). The lake whitefish has eluded me on several trips in the last several years and unfortunately eluded me again. BUT the evening experience was superb, landscape was stunning, and the winter nighttime sky was amazing with Orion, Venus and Jupiter dominating the horizon. Drilled probably 30 holes, checking every one with the handheld sonar. Saw a few fish near bottom in a few holes but could never get anything to bite. I was using my 1500C and cocktail shrimp for bait (the local favorite) in about 55 ft of water. Unfortunately my handheld underwater camera cable was too short to get a look at the bottom to identify what species of fish I was occasionally seeing, whitefish I presume. There were probably between 20-30 tents on the ice over an area of a few hundred acres. Didnt see anyone catch anything but couldnt understand Russian so if "fish on" was said I had no clue. Should have brought binoculars. The 1/2 mile walk back to the car in the dark was extremely difficult in slippery pack boots and "seemed" to take 3 times as long in the dark as it did on the way out on the ice. Spoke with some young Russians (whom predominate this fishery here) and the young lads speaking great English gave my buddy and I some tips. They had scored over 30 the previous night and were headed out with sleds as we arrived back at the car. Our patience was not strong like these young warriors but reminded me of my adventurous spirit of my early life.

I kick myself for not bringing one of my telescopes as I havent seen the pristine winter sky like this in a long time.

The ice was 8-12". Weather and health permitting I will do this again next year and bring a sled/tent and try a little harder.

Warm weather is in the forecast for the next week or more. Time to start adjusting for flyfishing instead.

Re: Winter whitefish
Post 10 Feb 2023, 12:26 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds and looks beautiful. Winter is an amazing season; reminds me to get out snow-camping at least once more before springtime.

Post 10 Feb 2023, 13:54 • #3 
Master Guide
It’s not just fishing .. it’s an adventure! :P
Been looking for some winter adventures from you .
Thanks for not disappointing me Mike ;)
We’ve had a mild winter so no ice fishing on my local waters .
We don’t have whitefish in Maryland so the best I can come up with is a Nice Fallfish caught by the ice … lol

Keep inspiring us !
Tight lines in 23
Scotto

Post 10 Feb 2023, 14:25 • #4 
Piscator
Cyprinids don't get enough respect.

Our tailwater is a trophy redhorse sucker fishery.
We call them Guadalupe redfish.
If you're catching them, you're matching the hatch.
They even look good next to a 1918 Thomas Special.

Post 10 Feb 2023, 17:49 • #5 
Master Guide
Thanks Odonata, Scotto and Ron!

Ron thats a very unusual juxtaposition for a fishing outfit and fish! Fine setups there Ron and Scotto.

Post 11 Feb 2023, 10:50 • #6 
Piscator
Mike, one of my best fish stories was a samsonite-size black buffalo on the Pedernales headwaters, hooked on Tonka Queen and 1917 St. George.
(had the rod rebuilt to accept the 2-7/8" alloy foot on the early Hardy)
Of course, bottom-bouncing a cats whisker on Teeny line.
The fish porpoised continuously for two trips into the backing before coming unhooked in relief (kind of like Jerry Clower, "shoot up in here amongst us")
Of course no photo, but it was a heck of a 10-min ride.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 12 Feb 2023, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post 12 Feb 2023, 08:24 • #7 
Master Guide
Thats hilarious Ron. Love his coon huntin reference!

New Topic Add Reply