It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:21

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Feb 2023, 22:01 • #1 
Master Guide
Finally hit some water (frozen kind) for my first outing with my hot rodded 1500C. Two hrs driving each way and a 3/4 mile hike to a Washington winter trout fishery I havent been to in 43 years or so. We were the only poor souls there. Ice was 4-5" but there was open water in places and some scary cracking underfoot occasionally. Using my composite fiberglass/graphite ice fishing rod and vintage 1500C i rigged a small swedish pimple as a weight with a tiny second hook 1 ft above tipped with part of a worm I dropped it down 25 feet and left the rod there while i dropped an underwater camera and a handheld sonar in several of the predrilled holes unsuccessfully seeing anything down under the ice. Minutes later my buddy caught a small rainbow on a worm so i assisted him and went back to my rod immediately and started reeling in and realized i had a fish on. Reeled it in and found it had eaten my pimple. We caught several and I decided to cook a couple for lunch. Saw lots of otter skid marks and fresh tracks on the ice. The little 1500C worked great as the ultralight spool freespooled effortlessly to the bottom with only a tiny lure for weight. It was a great day except for the long drive.

Post 01 Feb 2023, 23:46 • #2 
Piscator
Hard water.
Great report, and heck of a fish on the little combo.

Post 02 Feb 2023, 10:34 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Looks tasty ! The fish looks nice, too ;)

Storms and the resultant closures have kept me from fishing for a bit. Got out in the kayak; the lake was fuller than it had been since 2019. Water was chocolate milk, though. Not complaining... we need the H2O.

Post 02 Feb 2023, 18:53 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
We are about to warm up so ice is iffy ,i had 3 invites for ice fishing and one place has a bunch of fall stocked trout.I did it for years but my beat up body doaesn't like sitting on a bucket in the cold anymore.My buddy has 2 of those insulated tents that claim just your body heat will warm it 20-30 degrees above outside the tent.I was looking forward to some crappie or trout filets myself more than the fishing.-3 tonight and rain and 40s by early next week.

Post 02 Feb 2023, 19:18 • #5 
Master Guide
Nice catch... nice lunch!

My favorite ice fishing lake is two weeks overdue to freeze. I'm wondering if I'll get to ice fish at all there this winter.

Post 02 Feb 2023, 22:50 • #6 
Master Guide
Thanks guys. Its been a mixed bag weather wise here for ice fishing. We had a good deep freeze late Nov/early Dec followed by several weeks of warmer weather. I do have one of those insulated shanty tents on a sled thats warm and comfortable but its a lot more work to bring it along especially not knowing if the ice is thick enough or whether the fishing is any good. I might try one last trip next week with the tent for lake whitefish at night (i tried last year unsuccessfully during the day). Ive caught many whitefish flyfishing rivers but never a whitefish from a lake on purpose.

Post 04 Feb 2023, 14:00 • #7 
Sport
Now that's some good eats! Funny (and sad) story. Last winter my friend and his brother went jigging walleyes on Saginaw Bay, he took his 1500C with him and let his brother use it. When they were packing up the shanty, his brother forgot to grab the reel. Either it's at the bottom of Saginaw Bay or some lucky SOB got themselves a free tricked out 1500C.

Post 04 Feb 2023, 14:41 • #8 
Piscator
ouch - was your friend acquitted of man(sibling)slaughter?

Post 04 Feb 2023, 21:11 • #9 
Sport
They actually aren't on talking terms at the moment, unrelated to the 1500C incident. Their father passed away a few months back and my friend's brother quickly sold off his belongings without consulting anybody in the family first. The brother has been in and out of rehab the last 15 years or so.

Post 05 Feb 2023, 05:55 • #10 
Piscator
that happens too often - my grandfather's blacksmith shop was evaporated by one of my uncles, no ill will, but that's a tough betrayal at a tough time.
No family drama, but sent you a pm about a week of weather drama.

New Topic Add Reply