It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:07

New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Dec 2022, 07:07 • #1 
Guide

I’ve posted one of these vintage Milbro Tourists previously. This one is in its original condition and bag. It’s solid glass, though a responsive action and they are good rods to use for light spinning. The reel - a Daiwa 7350RL has been fully serviced and runs beautifully. All in all a very functional and robust vintage combo!

Post 31 Dec 2022, 07:20 • #2 
Piscator
That's very nice - thanks for posting and Merry Christmas.

My Christmas present to me is still at my shipping broker in Japan, waiting until they unroll the sidewalks after extended New Year holiday, and for some of my small orders to catch up.

Post 31 Dec 2022, 07:28 • #3 
Guide
Merry Christmas to you to Ron. Is that lovely multiplier of a Swedish origin?

Post 31 Dec 2022, 08:00 • #4 
Piscator
Thanks friend - no, this one is benchmade in Japan - Tom and I have talked about this offline, as the Ambassadeur that never was, but should have been.
Image Image

It's the Smith Plugger, made by Isuzu Industries (not the car maker, but a family-run Tokyo machine shop).
It takes careful plotting to sneak one of these limited-run reels past the Japan home market (especially the NIB collectors).
On right above is a crazy exotic they made for Bright River marque (though marked as Liver).

Better edit this to point out I previously found a 2nd Smith Super Strike handle, so the new reel is going on my glass Smith plug rod, and the 4600C is going full time to my Smith graphite frog rod.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 01 Jan 2023, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

Post 31 Dec 2022, 12:13 • #5 
Master Guide
Nice rod.

Post 01 Jan 2023, 16:18 • #6 
Master Guide
Argyll Trout Fisher
Very cool Milbro rod!
Love that you paired it with a Daiwa reel.
Very appropriate since Milbro was folded into the Daiwa European operation in the late 70s.

I’m a super Daiwa nut ..
Been eyeballing a Milbro Tru-Fly rod.
Trying to find one with a 100% mint label.
Harder said than done here in the states.
Cheers Scotto

Post 02 Jan 2023, 18:41 • #7 
Guide
Hello Scotto,
We definitely share the same passion for Milbro and Daiwa my friend. I have a couple of Tourists now - the other one I have customised a little with wraps and a Varmac reel seat. I also have a 7ft sol glas Milbro spinning rod. I have two rather lovely Milbro Trufly’s at the moment - a 9ft 6 weight and an 8.5 ft 5 weight - both used regularly and cherished. I take a bit of stick from my fellow anglers about these rods but I think they are superb to use. I also have a 9.5 ft Milbro Peter Anderson Classic reservoir fly rod wt 6 -8. This rod is built a bit like the Ghillie Spinning rod - another fine Milbro rod in my opinion. Milbro tackle was good quality, no frills serious fishing gear.
My Daiwa collection includes several vintage spinning reels ( from 7700, 7350RL, 755H, 750, 7300RB) fly reels ( 320, 710, SF706, F220, Wilderness 300) I have an 8ft hollow glass brown/ cream Daiwa spinning rod -2045 I think- in mint condition that is a favourite and a couple of Daiwa fly rods of a similar style and one or two others ! I think vintage Daiwa tackle is stylish as well as functional.
The Milbro Tourist and Daiwa 7350 feel as if you could use them for a lifetime and then pass them on!

In the pic the rod is a Milbro Trufly 8.5 ft and the reel is a Daiwa SF 706

Post 05 Jan 2023, 03:10 • #8 
Master Guide
Argyll ,
Cracking good quiver ! :)

Now you’ve really got hooked into scoring a Trufly .
I’ve Got a NOS 706 on standby

Your Trufly looks brilliant with the 706 !
Great Brownie as well !

Just bird dogged an early 8.6ft trufly with the triangle label along with agate stripping guide and agate tiptop .
Not a 100% perfect label but close enough..

Milbro rods are pretty rare here in the states .
I’ve seen labels that said made in Scotland and also ones that said make in UK .

Are all the Milbro Spinning rods solid glass ?
Or did they make hollow ones as well?

The Ghillie special sounds like a good Carp Rod ..
I may have to ring up Thomas Turner and see what they’ve got available

Can you post a pic of your wilderness 300?
We don’t get that model but I think we get the same reel as the Daiwa Lochmor 300

The lochmor is grey .
thought the new wilderness reel was black ?

Cheers
Scotto

Post 05 Jan 2023, 14:35 • #9 
Guide

Hi Scotto,
Front row from left -Daiwa Wilderness 300 spool and reel, Daiwa 230, Daiwa 720 and spool. Back row from left - Daiwa SF708, Daiwa F 210. Daiwa fixed spool reels and rods to follow!

Post 05 Jan 2023, 15:18 • #10 
Piscator
And I thought this was a Christmas thread.

Daiwa ps - Daiwa Europe is a completely different animal offering coarse fishing only to Europe.
Those fly reels have links to Olympic-Seiko, JW Young, and more recently Tiemco, who sold all the last-run Young fly reels in Japan.

New Topic Add Reply