It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:15

New Topic Add Reply
NFC APFG 7101
Post 08 Dec 2022, 13:59 • #1 
Guide
Took the boss lady out fishing yesterday with her new teal APFG. She managed a 22 and 23” red. The ultralight handled them just fine. A little bendy around the kayak, but able to fling a baby shrimp. Nice little rod cut down to 6-6. I have the next power up version waiting to wrap for her, which is probably a better fit as we get to bigger fish. Still managed a sleigh ride with the biggest. Smallest pictured. The rod has a nice backbone for a 1-2 power rod while maintaining that glass bend.

I took a flyrod, but the wind was not my friend.

Re: NFC APFG 7101
Post 08 Dec 2022, 17:01 • #2 
Piscator
great result and great report, but we need gear photos.
There are two kinds of bait and fishing in the winter, really big and really small.
Big bait usually requires a lot of hunting to find a few fish willing to take it. Really small bait takes working the structure, tide, and wind to find locations that concentrate it enough to get the interest of big fish.

Post 09 Dec 2022, 13:55 • #3 
Guide
Crappy pic, but,
Fuji ips seat and cork. KR guides 16 - KB/KT 5 to tip. Diawa 2500 reel.

Have to redo some epoxy on this one. Wasn’t expecting a weather change and cold front came through and epoxy wouldn’t kick off. Hit it with a heat gun. Mistake. So rare we get cold days, I wasn’t paying attention.

Last edited by G8trwood on 09 Dec 2022, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post 09 Dec 2022, 13:57 • #4 
Piscator
that looks pretty good, though - thanks

Post 09 Dec 2022, 14:19 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Nice fish ! I had to look up the page in their catalog.

Definitely started turning some gears ... :)

Post 09 Dec 2022, 23:23 • #6 
Guide
Wow I bet that was a fight with a ultra light power rod. One benefit I find using a fiberglass rod is the peace of mind knowing it has resilience to withstand a high stick rod angle situation that can be sometimes hard to avoid fishing out of a kayak.

Post 10 Dec 2022, 08:05 • #7 
Piscator
Both glass and the relative short length are a safety advantage compared to e.g., my finesse rods over 8' that are really made for shore fishing.
You want your rod long enough to reach around the boat - a strong redfish usually makes 3 trips around the boat before trying to go under it.
You can land just about anything with proper drag set, time, and open water to ride it out.

Last winter, Susie landed this 25" schoolie-male speckled trout from Arroyo dock, fishing XUL (7'3" Major Craft).
It made two 50-yd runs, first across the channel, then close to our shore along the docks. We were talking, if the pontoon shuttle to Dos Rios Lodge had been parked next to us instead of across the channel, would have surely broken off on the motor foot.

Our new moon trip is booked for February this winter.

I very recently added a shorter BFS rod just for redfish and the kayak - note the extreme lure range. The 7'3" rod won't be making the Arroyo trip this winter - not long or even flexible enough to get the casts we need - but it's just right for winter shrimp and glass minnows from the kayak.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 10 Dec 2022, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post 10 Dec 2022, 08:17 • #8 
Guide
It was a pretty decent fight for that size fish. In a kayak you can only but so much heat on them before you go for a ride. It was her first mini sleigh ride so she was happy. Plus fish tacos!

Post 10 Dec 2022, 09:15 • #9 
Piscator
Again great outcome, and you set her up well - would still love to see a cheese shot of fish-in-hand excitement.
And yes, if you push too hard, get them to the boat too quickly on tackle that light, a break-off is the probable result.
Or worse, a broken rod.

One thing that works in skinny water when the red is in close, stake the boat through a mid scupper, sit over one side, and walk the boat around, following the fish.
Can't do that in big wind, because of windcock.
Here, drift-fishing in 18 kts, rather than lifting drift sock and let the wind blow me away, I staked the boat and got out.

Post 31 Dec 2022, 12:10 • #10 
Master Guide
Good to see NFC spinning info. Thanks.

Post 28 Jun 2023, 15:23 • #11 
Guide
Just an update on this.
Also built a 742 for her as a spinner. Much more powerful. She prefers the “bendy one”. Built a 744 for myself as a caster. Pretty good all around inshore rod. A hair heavy for the lighter baits I usually toss.

She wanted a shorter version of the 7101 for creek trout and I had a blank…… Cut it down to 5-1” after a bunch of test bends. Taking its first trip this weekend. Probably target panfish as it is a bit warm for trout where we will be.
Rod casts great. Hopefully she likes it and then wants a travel version, Graywolf style :)

New Topic Add Reply