It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:20

New Topic Add Reply
Tasty Pro Crest fun
Post 24 Nov 2022, 12:52 • #1 
Master Guide

Went fishing for the first time since my knee replacement 8 weeks ago. Just bank fishing for an hour. I took a chair but I’m not one to just sit and watch a bobber or repeatedly cast to the same area. Caught 3 trout on a yellow and polka dot Worden’s Rooster Tail and a 1/8 jig Bugger that my son or I had tied.

I’m walking 3 miles on a rubberized track and tread mill. I also utilize recumbent and stationary bikes. Stability is there and balance has mostly returned but I still need to strengthen the leg. So, wet wading should be a go in Spring. Possibly some tailwater wading in the next few months.

Was my first time using the Cortland Pro Crest 657 (6’6”). It’s slower than I figured it to be but still lovely. I’m sure it’s got backbone for larger fish. The reel is a Garcia 9800 that my son found at a garage sale. I had to make a spring for the bail to operate properly.

Re: Tasty Pro Crest fun
Post 24 Nov 2022, 13:15 • #2 
Piscator
years from now, you will move a lot better for the new knee.

Thanks for posting - I tie cats whiskers on barbels for spin fishing.

Post 25 Nov 2022, 00:30 • #3 
Master Guide
Great looking outfit and the fish looks delicious. By chance were you fishing the White River?

Post 25 Nov 2022, 02:12 • #4 
Master Guide
Great job Panfish
Glad to hear your gettin out and about :)
A little spin fishing is good physical therapy and nutritious .

Great rig !
Lovin that Fenwick 1060

Bulldog those home brew spinners look so choice!

Stay bent

Post 25 Nov 2022, 09:29 • #5 
Piscator
Thanks Scotto.
When I was a kid, lure making and rod building supplies made up the complete Cabela's catalog, along with DAM Quick spinning reels (they were the sole US importer).
Of course now they sell 70% home goods to keep Ma in the store.
I bought enough parts to make 50 spinners twenty years ago - Cablela's doesn't sell them anymore, but if you look around, you can find lure making parts suppliers.

The box is for tailwater guests, especially my dad when he could still don waders in his 70s.
Our tailwater trophy section requires single hook spinners, and I bought those parts back then for the cost of 2 Mepps spinners.
(Game Wardens have scored major bait poacher stings from landowners to Russian immigrants)
The hook begins in my vise with a marabou tail and pheasant rump soft-hackle collar for iridescent color.

Post 25 Nov 2022, 10:59 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Beautfiully displayed spinning gear from the OP on !

I hate to admit it, but a few packages of trout magnets, or the slightly different size crappie magnets, does away with all that stuff. I got my lure kits from Herter's, along with my first UL spinning rod build kit. Had to send to some little place called Cabela's for my first Alcedo Micron.

Post 25 Nov 2022, 23:56 • #7 
Guide
Herters used to sell a spinner kit called "Pepps"..about $.25, as opposed to $.79 Mepps at retail stores/catalogues.

My favorite spinners for Catskill streams were CP Swings, still have a few in the package, unopened.. They had bead bodies, willow leaf blades and fluttered really nicely fished upstream, usually with a small split shot for castability a few inches in front.

We would wait for Herters orders in the winter, spring seemed so near yet so far. My high school bus rode for miles along the Little Beaverkill, a tributary of the Esopus that came in at Mount Tremper, NY. That was torture in the spring, looking down at the stream we could not fish until April 1st, Opening Day.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 08:46 • #8 
Piscator
That was a long time ago, because 20 years ago, single-hook Mepps spinners were $6/

Post 26 Nov 2022, 13:14 • #9 
Guide
Lol..yes, a long time ago..the 60's

A couple of guys from my hometown of Woodstock, NY brought a few of us youngster to the gymnasium in our high school along the banks of the Esopus River in Boiceville, NY to learn flycasting. One was local classical musician/author Frank Mele, the other his protege Joe Nazarro from NYC, a career bartender.

Bamboo rods with 14' leaders were provided, and we were introduced to the rudiments of casting. There were no graphite rods at that time..just bamboo and fiberglass, so it was a challenge.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 16:24 • #10 
Guide
Phil-a-Flex wrote:
Herters used to sell a spinner kit called "Pepps"..about $.25, as opposed to $.79 Mepps at retail stores/catalogues.

We would wait for Herters orders in the winter, spring seemed so near yet so far.

I still have one of those! Herter’s also had a low-cost knock-off of the Rapala minnow lure we used to buy frequently. Fished them til the paint was worn off. Herter’s was a big deal. I’ll never forget my dad taking us to their main store in Waseca, MN one time as a kid. It was the first big box outdoors store I had ever seen. Were there any others then? A huge stuffed polar bear greeted you at the door and their signature light blue FIBERGLASS rowboats lined an entire wall at the back of the store:)

Post 26 Nov 2022, 18:05 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Well there was LL Bean, but without the heavy trade in trapping and hunting supplies--some, but not like the Herter's catalog. LL Bean--with only one store in Freeport--was open 24 hours a day, so you could always stop there on the way upcountry. In fact, they gave up the 24-hours only quite recently. Wish I had that experience with the Waseca Herter's, which I knew only by catalog in the 1960s. Later, a stop in Mitchell S.D. at the Herter's there was part of a cross country fishing trips.

Herter's had some great fishing supplies. Certain ones--for me, anyhow, never quite matched the effectiveness of originals like Rapalas, various Heddon lures, Mepps spinners, Castmasters, even Daredevil spoons. I could never make one that seemed quite as good, either. But by golly, it was fun getting out with a Herter's rod and trying out their stuff. All of it was the "world's finest." George liked a good stretcher and perfected the advertising art of puffery. Almost always great values, and often pretty good stuff.

Post 29 Nov 2022, 16:54 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
that's a handsome old rod, very nice..

we visited friends a week or so back, she has had all 4 replaced - hips and knees, last op was the last knee. She's up to 2.5 miles walking now.. glad to hear you're mobile again too..

another friend's Dad passed and I inherited two boxes full of spinner-making materials, more than I can ever use.. especially since it's all bigger stuff, guess the Colorado fish were bigger back then..

Post 30 Nov 2022, 09:38 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Glad to read that you are getting back on the horse after your surgery ! Physical therapists have taught me to walk again a couple of times now, very grateful for their work.

Post 30 Nov 2022, 14:54 • #14 
Master Guide
Thanks guys! I’m trying to move forward on this Fenwick. Started it last year but keep building fly rods. I just ordered parts for a Steffen build. Maybe this Spring I’ll finish the spinning rod. I have all the hardware. Even epoxied the grip and scribed the model number. Decent start.

I’ve even looked at lurepartsonline as to build my own spinners. They have gotten $$$. I used to buy the Uncle Buck’s knock-offs for about $1.26 and now they’re around $4.

Post 30 Nov 2022, 16:54 • #15 
Piscator
That's coming along nicely - very pretty blank - would be a shame to cover it with Fenwick braid.

Post 30 Nov 2022, 22:59 • #16 
Master Guide
Bulldog, if you are referring to the tape, I’m just marking off where I’m applying polyurethane.

Post 01 Dec 2022, 11:30 • #17 
Piscator
no, I just don't like traditional Fenwick wraps - I sure don't get them, their appeal, purpose - and that blank looks so nice like it is.
I'd keep it simple, tasteful, and out-class stock Fenwick while you're at it.

New Topic Add Reply