It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Nov 2022, 11:05 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
In a bout of nostalgia I am trying to find an example of a Garcia Conolon Gold Four Star two piece freshwater spinning rod I owned as a kid. It was the rod I used with my Garcia/Michell 300 that I still own, however I traded the Garcia rod towards a discount on my first good fly rod, a Orvis Limestone Special which I still use on occasion.

All I remember about the rod was it was gold, four star, Conolon, I BELIEVE it was medium action with a red "G" in the butt cap and it had a distinctive internal metal spigot ferrule that looked like a large, long, zinc plated steel roll pin.

I found a couple examples of similar rods on eBay that are described as Model 2111-D 4 Star 7 ft. The eBay offerings look almost identical to what I remember but what I am hoping to find is images from a catalog(s) that features the Gold Four Star freshwater spinning rod models with the internal metal spigot ferrule so I can narrow down the model number. I've seen a few catalog pages from the late 1960's and mid 1970's but those Gold Four Star Rods have sizematic ferrules.

Any insight or information to help me narrow down the search would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Post 01 Nov 2022, 12:01 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I have owned and see a lot of old GC rods.I do not recall a spigot ferrule on a spinning rod.I do know the gold paint job on many.They were usually top of the line although in many ways identical to the lower end rods just better components and different on the same blanks.I will look thru some old GC pamphlets i have and see if i can find anything.All the spinning rods i have come across have regular metal ferrules.I have a metal spigot fly rod and a glass tip over fly rod.But they built a ton of different rods like all the others of that era.

Post 01 Nov 2022, 12:40 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hersh:

Take a look at these images from "the Bay"

Both of these spinning rod offerings look identical to what my cloudy memory recalls. Both rods are described as Garcia Gold Four Star Conolon 2111-D 4 Star 7 ft spinning rods.

Maybe all I need to know but I just wonder what other rods were available in the series with that ferrule before I start to search in earnest for a 2111-D.

I also THINK I read on some old catalog pages that the Gold Four Star were not the "top of the line" at the time but below the brown Four Star. I have to look again...

Just did some quick research. At least in 1970 the "rankings" were:

Top of the line: Custom

Next: Deluxe Five Star, (brown blank)

Next: Gold Four Star

Followed by: Brown Three Star, Blue Two Star, Green and Black.

There was also an internal metal ferrule advertised but it has a metal female insert and looks completely different from what I remember and what is pictured above.

Thanks for the help!!!

Post 01 Nov 2022, 12:55 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Wow,those were very cutting edge for their day.I have a goldish 5' 2151 spinning rod with no stars.I have a black and brown of the same rod but labels unreadable..I have a NOS dark brown med spinning rod with agate guides.Bought 2 and gave one to my brother.I have the gold tone spigot2026 b fly rod in the gold aluminum case with no stars rating.They seem to be all over the place with the model numbers configurations and star ratings.I know a hoarder who claims to have 5000 vintage rods 1000s of reels and over 50 boats on his property.I see him at flea markets estate sales etc.He says he is going to start selling everything this spring.Gonna be on the lookout for these spigot spinning rods.Have never seen one.I had the ultaralight version rod and reel with the ring reel stem Garcia Mitchell reel and the GC rod with special ring reel seat. I thought that was the most unusual GC rod ever.

Post 01 Nov 2022, 12:59 • #5 
Piscator
The metal spigot is very much like the Berkley Tri-Sport I fished inshore in high school

I checked the Mitchell Museum - they don't seem to have the list of Conolon rod catalogs they archived before.
Looks like they got a "restart" last year, so maybe data was lost.
They have a forum and it links a thread on Conolon rods.
Might be worth asking there.
https://mail.mitchellreelmuseum.com/for ... php?p=1678

Post 01 Nov 2022, 13:05 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Ron, I'll check it out!!

A couple of things I remember distinctly about my old Conolon...

As it was my "bass" rod, it was the rod I caught my first largemouth bass on using 6" grape scented Texas rigged purple Mann's Jelly Worms and a couple of split shot, long before I discovered slip bullet weights. My love for fishing soft plastics is why I returned to spin fishing and embraced casting tackle after I abandoned the practice when I first started fly fishing.

My buddy slammed the tip of my rod in his car door, the ONLY rod I ever owned this happened to. The rod was unscathed proving the toughness of glass and as a result all of my rods today are stored in a tube and I hate fishing with someone else in a single vehicle... ;)

Post 01 Nov 2022, 13:37 • #7 
Piscator
ouch, that's a creepy end.
I always take my lightweight portable rod stand, and set up my rods away from the activity.
Especially rigging boats is hectic, and cars have to be moved to parking.

Post 01 Nov 2022, 14:48 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks BD,I have had the same problem with stuff just disappearing online.Well i gues just lost and old sites going the way of old sites.B i too have been using my spinning rods more and more.Caught quite a few bass on Senkos rigged wacky with an o ring.It solves the problem i have with traditional Texas rigging of worms and the slime that makes it nearly impossible to fish on the bottom.I keep my rod tip high and seems to keep the Senko out of the slime but gets down to where the bass hold on the deep weed edges.The senkos fish well without additional weight.It looks stupid,is ridiculously easy to fish and works very well.I too learned to bass fish with Mann's and culprit worms and jigs and pork frogs.I hate throwing crankbaits all day.My go to vintage tackle guy just moved to Texas after selling their bait store.I may shoot him an email tonight.He was born into the tackle business.

New Topic Add Reply