It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:52

New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Oct 2022, 09:23 • #1 
Master Guide
I’ve been on a serous cold streak for the last week or so .
Got the casting Yips and completely lost my fly cast stroke , caught more leaves than fish , and haven’t been able to locate any fall Stripers in the tributaries yet .
Woke up yesterday and decided to get my act together..

Took my youngest son Luke with me on a scout mission to the Susquehanna (Chris had to work)
We fished a cool lil public fishing trail on Octoraro Creek
It feeds the Susquehanna just below Conowingo Dam .
Very unique stream to fish that it’s lower section runs reverse direction on high tide or when the dam is generating power
I stayed in the parallel channel cut and worked out my fly casting kinks with this 8ft 8wt Reddington Margarine stick/Run reel combo I scored from Cameron at the Manifesto
This rod will sort you out quick or kill you with a cone head to the skull ..

I didn’t catch a dang fish but I sure as heck got my casting stroke back hitting the bank across the cut a few times .
Thank you so much Cameron !! This rod is gonna see some serous fishing in my future ;)

Meanwhile Luke worked the shoreline over on the main stem .

Neither of us caught a fish but mentally mapped the area during low water and gained valuable intel for future fishing..

We had a nice hike back to thru the park where I broke down a bunch of Susquehanna tips and techniques.

We stopped over at fisherman’s park for the last hour and worked the Dam Pool for whatever.
Shad ,Perch ,Stripers, Smallies, Flatheads , Tiger Muskies , Snakeheads and pretty much whatever species get washed down from NY and PA..
In the last few years we’ve had quite an uptick in the Walleye population.

My older son Chris has been asking me non stop about Walleyes ever since that Lake Erie Tournament debacle..

I told him about a few times I’ve hooked and lost some big Walleyes in Savage River Reservoir but that I’ve never actually caught one .

Well until now … my first and probably will stand as my PB .
A super thick 22incher weighing in at 4.5lbs

Caught it on my trusty Phillipson Swamp Fox Dlx 7ft lite action spin rod drift-jigging a 3” Pearl White Mister Twister with a 1/4 oz jig head (A Susquehanna staple)
When my son Chris came home from work he was tripping out on the Old Man’s catch and has since dubbed me the “Walleye Wizard” :lol
It’s nice to be the Hero every once and awhile.
Can’t wait for dinner tonight !
Tight lines to all you Heros out here .
Scotto the Walleye Wizard ;)

Post 31 Oct 2022, 12:58 • #2 
Piscator
Great report.
Of course now that you've raised the bar, Chris will get you back...
Share a dinner photo while you're at it.

Post 31 Oct 2022, 13:13 • #3 
Guide
Thanks for sharing the trip with us. Some great photos and I'm sure, more importantly, some memories. I would like someone to check that walleye for some lead weights. Feel like that weight isn't right for that size of fish lol. Just joking, a really nice fish Scotto, enjoy eating it. Keep fishing hard my friend and keep taking us along.

Post 31 Oct 2022, 13:16 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
excellent !
I enjoy walleye, now in the fall they will come shallow and I can sometimes get one on a fly.. they fight much better on a fly rod..

Post 31 Oct 2022, 16:37 • #5 
Master Guide
Way to go Scotto!!!! Thats the way to do it.
Congratulations all around.

Keep it up Walleye Wizard!

BTW they have cool names for places over your way.

Mike

Post 01 Nov 2022, 01:05 • #6 
Master Guide
Thanks so much fellas
First let me address Angry Vikings allegations .
My fish was inspected and certified by a Molecular Biologist DR Tee Ottobahn herself ..
No weights and the only filets are the ones that were brining in the fridge :P LOL

Hope you get some rain up there G-Man to kickstart the steelhead run .
Thanks for the Bday well wishes ,looking forward to our next adventure together.

DouginColorado ..what’s up man??
You been fishing your Fenwick SF lately?
I’m super stoked on my first “Walter” (as angry Viking says they’re called up in PA) :lol
I love yellow perch so I figure I’ll love to eat a walleye .

Mike and Bulldog thanks for all the inspiration and knowledge the last few seasons .
This is dedicated to you guys ..

I turned 52 today so I decided to have a lil Halloween/Birthday feast Chesapeake Style with my “Disputed” Walter .. lol ;)

Upper Chesapeake style Seafood Feast with trimmings ..

So we’ve got Fresh Wild Susquehanna Walleye
Caribbean Jerk and Old Bay Blackened

Flanked by Classic Maryland Crab Cakes
Along with Spicy Steamed Shrimp :eek

Temper the heat with steak fries, a cool salad and some of Dr Ottobahn’s Honey Corn Bread :)

This is how we do in the upper bay Hon !!

After checking out my Sweet Birthday present from Mrs Obahn
So stoked she got me the new Orvis “Guide”sling pack (the guide is the larger size )

That cornbread was so delicious I had a hard time choosing between that or Birthday Cake

After dinner I played around with a few birthday
presents I bought myself..

Here’s a couple of vintage Phillipson Fly rods that came in today

A&F 6.6 Featherweight

And the sweetest X76

Bought a few Modern Glass Spinning combos to try out next season

From left to right ..
Shimamo FX/Aeroglass 5.6 ultralight

Daiwa Sweepfire 5.6 ultralight/lite

Daiwa D-Shock F602ML 6ft med-lite

Eagle Claw Crafted Glass 6,6 Medium action

Daiwa D-Shock 6.6 Medium fast action

Got a steal all the spinning rods at a local tackle shop by my Moms house in Baltimore
Scored all 5 combos for $150

Wish I got the fly rods that cheap but hey I’m not complaining..

It’s been a great Birthday weekend!
Looking forward to lots of fishing fun with family/friends old and new on my next trip around the sun
Tight lines
The Wizard

Post 01 Nov 2022, 04:43 • #7 
Piscator
Over the top is good for a feast and celebration.
Congrats, and happy birthday.

Post 01 Nov 2022, 09:09 • #8 
Guide
Looks like quite the seafood feast! Nice way to finish up your birthday. Those are some nice gifts you received as well. That x76 looks to be in minty condition, not sure it stands up to my p76 but close jk. We will have to get the rods together and see how they compare. Happy birthday again and thanks for letting us celebrate with you.

Post 01 Nov 2022, 09:19 • #9 
Master Guide
Way to go for a bday celebration Scotto! (mine was a week ago and pales in comparison). Dinner looks delicious.
Congrats on the new toys you aquired! That A&F green butt baby looks just like one I have. You will love it.

Savor your special day!

Post 01 Nov 2022, 13:21 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Happy birthday ! Great shots, and appetizing, to boot :)

I too have a second generation Butter Stick, the 6wt. I find it handles best (for me) with a half-weight heavy bass line; great fun for warmwater. It will horse bass, but is also tons of fun for angry bluegill and green sunfish.

Post 04 Nov 2022, 15:21 • #11 
Guide
Happy belated Birthday!

I remember walking along the creek to the river, more years ago than I'd like to think. Also fished it way upstream for smallmouth. Most of the time, we stayed on the other side of the river. Your dinner photos have me hungry - can't beat walleye and MD style crab cakes.

Post 06 Nov 2022, 15:47 • #12 
Master Guide
Happy belated birthday - excellent dinner to celebrate and those gifts are all very nice. Congratulations on catching your first walleye.

Post 08 Nov 2022, 06:32 • #13 
Guide
I know I’m late to this thread, but I read it & had to say congratulations. Nothing better than being able to be the hero dad. Happy birthday as well, by the way-you’re not too far behind me!

New Topic Add Reply