It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Oct 2022, 20:25 • #1 
Piscator
What a week - it's always a rolling feast. Even has fishing.
I have to express gratitude to So Many people for last week. Josh, Nina and cousin Darrell for inviting, great hosting and making allowances for our traveling digs to fit.
Steve for going over the top hauling his travel trailer down for the week before he could return on Friday night. With so many people coming, 6 to 9 over the week, this also kept us from stepping on each other in Josh's cabin. Lou for putting up with me in the little trailer (though it's a Really Nice little Oliver trailer). And Dad for taking care of the cat while I was gone.

Can't do this all in one post, so I'll do my normal string of multiple day reports.

When Josh invited us to join the group this year, Steve came up with the idea of hauling his trailer down around his 4-day work week.
Plus his brother has a power boat in the shop there, still waiting on a lower unit, good boat storage to move his idle boat from the weather exposure, also where Steve wanted to move his kayaks, and they combined this errand.

So Lou and I went down a day early, hoping to fish Estes. We were planning to get an extra day of fishing, but the AP wind gage Tuesday morning was 24 kt NNE gusting to 28 - top that off with rain from 7 am to 4 pm. I brought DVDs and we broke the day up with a second breakfast in Aransas Pass, and a farther run to Flour Bluff to visit Texas-fishing-Mecca Roy's Bait & Tackle - Lou had a $100 Roy's gift card from his kids burning his wallet.
Sunrise on Copano

Our digs for the week, graciously provided and hauled down early by Steve.

Josh and Nina joined us Tuesday night. Estes still looked good on paper for Wed, our favorite low-teens NNE. Lou and I fished Estes while Josh and Nina ran up the coast to Indianola and brought home giant redfish from tiny marsh lakes.

Here's our Estes day - beginning with sunrise heading up Trout Bayou.

Lou and I paddled over 8 mi, and did everything you can do on Estes. We found the Trout Bayou cut to Aransas Bay dead. We drifted Trout Bayou down to Little Cut and the flat was dead - we saw fish.

When we got to the big bay side of Little Cut, it was Hot. Good tide current, good tourist trout and respectable rat reds (up to 16" on each) attacking anything deep that passed for a 3" finger mullet.

We made the mistake of not going first to Little Cut, where I caught 6 nice fish - the falling tide current from 3 am high played out in about 45 minutes after we arrived. If we had begun there 3 hours earlier, would have likely caught keeper trout and possible first-light snook.
We paddled back onto the flat to try the drifts between Little Cut and Big Cut - also dead, also saw fish - they just weren't eating.
Still, always a wonderful paddle on Estes Flats even if you don't bring home meat.
Thurs and Fri were such a wonderful contrast, I'll be back with my second report.

Josh had a plan this year, to mix "dirty" marsh water with the clear grass flats we normally fish.
Most of the group arrived Wed night, Josh cooked a feast of seasoned steaks, crab risotto, and Parmesan romaine leaves wilted on the grill.

For Thursday's S to SW mid-teens, we fished up the Aransas River delta in Port Bay.
Good start and a glorious sunrise.

We began the calm sunrise fishing between the deep piers toward the shallow beach with topwaters. No one got a keeper trout, but the topwater explosions were a blast.
Here's my best, and my lure for the trip by far - more on that later...

The wind took us into the marsh lakes and trails a couple of miles downwind from our launch, and would be a tough paddle home.
Water in the oyster marsh is really too deep to sight-fish, several nice reds were caught by the group, Whit brought home a 24" red, and Nina took the day with this 28+" red.

Friday's trip couldn't be farther from the marsh. A ferry ride over to Mustang barrier island (Port Aransas) to fish our favorite East Flats Lake.
A good early start.

Lou and I were determined this year to follow Josh to fish the cuts from the boat channel onto the flat.
We all staked our boats, waded the oyster reef, and caught our fill of dink trout.

Then we paddled as far as we could go across the lake and into the SW wind.
I got my redfish early on my topwater shrimp lure. Josh and Lou working the flat.

Here's a better photo of my trip-fish 24" red and the INX Supra 65 prop-tail shrimp from Japan.
Unfortunately, I dropped the lure from my titanium bite trace snap after working out both trebles from a second rat red.
(I came home and ordered more).

Lunch break with Lou, his first red of two, and the glorious clear grass (that's my fish on the stringer).

Back at Josh's dock, my big red and Lou's smaller two.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 25 Oct 2022, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 Oct 2022, 21:20 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
:like Thanks for sharing BD

Post 24 Oct 2022, 22:38 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
wonderful..

Post 25 Oct 2022, 06:10 • #4 
Piscator
Thanks guys - still catching up with Saturday and Sunday...
Steve arrived Friday night and moved into his trailer with Lou and me - and brought more beer.

Saturday is always a busy day with weekend power boaters, but most important, we had to look for shelter from a strong south wind 16 to 18 kts.
We added a long drive to Seadrift, launch at Charlie's, and a 2-1/2-mi paddle along the Intracoastal Waterway to Welder Flats - more mud marsh.

It was a great choice for the day - room on the deep flats for the power boats, and no room for them in the mud marsh lakes.
Josh established himself as the mud marsh king with an early redfish limit.
We saw hundreds of spooky reds with their backs out of the water - and very tough to catch, mostly because they were so close together. Twice I cast to a fish, lined a different fish, and they all exploded.
I did bring home a nice flounder, and Josh made 4 artful fillets for me.

Good photo of William here, when I joined him at "lunch beach"

Saturday night was Josh's fabled shrimp boil - he gets better at this every year with his own spice blends - and that's saying something.

We always have a great time around the firepit. Saturday, we were also joined by Josh's friend Chase.

We knew Sunday would be another strong south blow, a short day, off the water by 11 am, and picked Brown & Root flat because the focused wind down the cut channel is a guaranteed ride home. Lou and I found some wind shelter to drift, Josh joined us with a redfish that he caught twice, jumping out of the boat when his stringer was drifting away.
More spooky redfish - we saw fish everywhere, and they fled when they saw a lure. Chase stayed out and was telling Josh on the phone that he was catching over-slot fish.
Steve came in with a nice 22" red sight-fished on TSL Grasswalker chicken-on-a-chain

The epilogue, well, great times with great friends - fish are gravy - got my thanks out up front.
We had to hang around Rockport a bit longer to get Steve's errands, had a nice seafood dinner at Mickey's in Aransas Pass, and a slow drive home.
Josh loaded Steve and Lou with half-shell fillets, and a guide coming in handed Steve a bag of red and black drum fillets.
So Steve took home a lot of fish to MA - he's almost as good a cook as Josh - and maybe MA will let us borrow the trailer again.

Post 25 Oct 2022, 07:03 • #5 
Guide
Nice trip report! And Flattie! They have flounder closed around me, except for the commercial and gigging charters who keep posting on IG. ;(

Post 25 Oct 2022, 07:46 • #6 
Piscator
Thanks friend - certainly the best eats the coast offers - our flounder fishery closes next month for the winter.
We brought in 4 nice ones over the week, all around 18"
But the fishery does need the rest. The reason I asked Josh to fillet mine, in the past, I've filleted 22" and 24" (fly rod catches) with room to waste.
Josh doesn't waste anything, and throws a virtual skeleton into the bay.

Post 25 Oct 2022, 09:12 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like good times, and tasty to boot !

Post 25 Oct 2022, 09:38 • #8 
Piscator
Rob, the Salty Style with Silver Wolf was the trip tackle - fished from 3-g micro-plugs, and caught every fish that mattered except the flounder.

Even though Josh laughed about the rod length, it fished light lures really well in the tight marshes - it's very much like fishing a fly rod.
At $100, it's also the least-expensive rod I took out.

@G8trwood - yes, it's a super-progressive taper with a flexible but still fast tip, fast mid and powerful butt, and it fishes the full range.
Also kept the 24" red from going under my boat - he was taking some drag at 3-lb set, and was a blast (that's a 16" red above).
The only reason it won't retire my 7'1" ML is that rod is freakishly light-in-hand for all day fishing (caught the flounder with 3" Swim-Z shad tail on Texas-eye jighead).

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 25 Oct 2022, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 Oct 2022, 10:26 • #9 
Guide
3-28 grams? You give it a thumbs up?

Thanks!

Post 25 Oct 2022, 18:16 • #10 
Piscator
this just off the grill...

Shared with my folks (just up the road) who made it a feast, with homemade Spanish rice, green beans, and my mom's banana pudding, which is beyond anyone else's.
Not only that, they only ate half their skin-on grill-blackened redfish fillets, and will still be eating them tomorrow, so they sent me home with half the banana pudding.

Post 26 Oct 2022, 06:43 • #11 
Guide
Damn, them is some good eats! Making my tummy grumble early this am!

Post 27 Oct 2022, 23:29 • #12 
Sport
Man, Ron really covered the trip well both with pictures and written. I’ll fill in some spots from my perspective.

Day 1

As Ron mentioned, my sister and I started the annual trip running north to a sleepy, coastal community called Indianola. It offers back lakes and protected water for kayak regardless of wind direction. We launched around 8 am.

We started in the deeper waters and caught a couple trout at a pinch which we had to throw back due to mid-season regulation changes. We found ourselves meandering through the back lakes to find redfish gorging themselves on 4” finger mullet and 1.5” shrimp.

It was shallow enough that the reds had their backs out of the water so we got to sight cast to all of our redfish.

We ended the day with 4 keeper reds and my sister got a bonus flounder. When we got back to the fish cleaning table we cut open the stomachs of the redfish to see what all they had been feeding on and found one redfish had two 7” juvenile Tarpon and another had a 6” rat; first time I’ve ever seen that.

By the evening our friends Whit and William along with my friend Andy had made their trip down from Dallas and joined us for dinner; Flat Iron Steak, Grilled Shrimp, Crab & Toasted Pecan Risotto, and Grilled Romaine with Grated Parmesan.

Day 2

We ran to the west side of Copano Bay to Port Bay, more specifically, Italian Bend. It’s a place I enjoy fishing during our winter months. The winds were supposed to be SW in the morning swinging to SE for our paddle back, but it ended up staying consistently from the SSW the entire day.

I didn’t have much luck other than small trout on topwater and a gafftop on a softplastic. Shallow or deep I couldn’t find fish. My sister, Nina, caught a stud of a redfish; right at 28” and 9-¼ lbs on my Boga. My buddy Andy saw bait jumping on the shoreline and strung up a very nice flounder.

Dinner that night was a group favorite; Moondogs. It’s a solid place right on Fulton Harbor overlooking Aransas Bay and offers solid, consistent food; big, cold beers; and an amazing view.

Day 3

I really don’t have much to add to this day. East Flats has always been a consistent producer for our group, but we only scratched together 5 or 6 keeper reds in our group. The redfish were there, I saw them. I spent most of the day standing up in my kayak and drifting the flats and saw a ton of redfish, but they were really skittish.

Day 4

Not much to add to Ron’s report from the day. I was able to bang out a relatively quick limit sightcasting to redfish, but still had to work for it. Our group saw well over a hundred redfish with their backs out of the water just slowly perusing the shoreline, but any cast within 10ft of their existence caused them to flee for their lives (rightfully so).

I spent most of my day fishing the very back of the back lakes. Sloughs with turns so tight my 15ft kayak had me making 30 point maneuvers to continue on. For every dozen reds I made, I would finally hook up with one. It was a blast, for me at least.

Our last dinner as a group would be the traditional shrimp boil; CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE. As usual for each night it ended with beverages and cigars around the fire pit.

Day 5

The windiest day of the trip……thankfully? By day 5 most of us were wore out, but Brown & Root Flats does allow some protection and the option of paddling into the wind at launch so it would be at our back returning to the launch.

I had poked out into more open water to drift the thigh deep waters. I was working a topwater and had some small blow ups, probably piggy perch, before a really solid one swiped at it. I tossed the topwater back in the general area and it got swiped again. Third cast I switched to a soft plastic, a Lil John, and hooked into a solid 24” red; I strung her up.

At the end of my drift was WIlliam and I said to him, “I just caught the dumbest redfish on the flats”, and went to grab my stringer to show him. It was gone, both the redfish and my stringer. I must have clipped it in wrong. Although it was an extremely long shot, I paddled back up wind to reset my drift. Threw out my drift sock, stood up in my kayak, and started to scan the waters looking for a bright orange stringer or very small float. Drifted right back into the shoreline without seeing it.

I was done. Even though it wasn’t even 9 am I was already tired of the wind. I paddled over to Lou who was about 75 yards away from me, and about 2/3rds of the way there I glanced to my left and I saw it; my stringer WITH a redfish. I made a hard left and briefly chased it down with my kayak. I jumped into the water and chased it some more on foot. It stopped after 20 or so feet. I was able to reach down, grab both ends of the stringer, and yank it and the redfish out of the water and above my head. I effin’ found it!

I’m still in disbelief. I told William, “I really did catch the dumbest redfish on the flat, because I was able to catch it twice”. A rough measurement on Google Earth showed the difference from where I approximately strung it up/lost it and where I found the stringer to be about 150 yards. Anyways, that’s my final day report. I didn’t get many pictures so here’s one of my kayak.

Thanks again for coming down and fishing, even though I threw in some muddy waters on this trip. We’ll do it again next year.

Post 28 Oct 2022, 09:21 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Good times ! I thoroughly enjoyed the account.

Post 28 Oct 2022, 09:48 • #14 
Piscator
Josh, that's perfect - thanks for those great photos, and the view from your boat.

Adding a note about Indianola. It was the major port in Texas until hurricanes 10 years apart destroyed it, and it wasn't rebuilt the 2nd time.
Most everyone I know who's "from here", their ancestors immigrated through Indianola, and likely Josh's family, as well.

Post 28 Oct 2022, 18:41 • #15 
Master Guide
Thank you! What an amazing trip. Kayaks, fish, great company, awesome food, amazing scenery etc. Im jealous.

Post 30 Oct 2022, 05:50 • #16 
Piscator
Mike, that's why the gratitude was the first thing out in my OP.

And btw, if anyone is interested in this sort of thing, here's Josh's GPS paddling trails for all 5 days.
indianola

Port Bay

East Flats

Welder Flats

Brown & Root Flat

Post 30 Oct 2022, 08:29 • #17 
Master Guide
Wow!
That’s one serious Flotilla Of Fun :P
Reminds me of when I lived in Florida fishing Cedar Key chasing Specks and Reds from a tiny Jon-boat .
Awesome pics and perspectives.
Makes me seriously want to get into Yak fishing ..
Stay Salty …
Scotto

Post 30 Oct 2022, 18:13 • #18 
Piscator
Scotto, there's a world too far from the salt that's filled with pressure.
Overflowing of thanks to Stevo for his extra effort to set us up, and Lou and I were styling in Steve's travel trailer all week - all that other world pressure sublimated away.
When Steve arrived Friday night, Lou and I couldn't help but notice his road funk lasted until Saturday night's bacchanal.

ps - flounder fish tacos

Post 31 Oct 2022, 02:23 • #19 
Master Guide
Bulldog I hear you on that 100% !
For me , my favorite part of hydrotherapy aka “fishing” is the sound of the water .
Doesn’t matter if it’s the “rush” of the stream , waves breaking on the beach , water lapping up against a boat , or simply the water going down a spill tube on a pond ..
I find it beyond relaxing ,meditative ,zen like
It’s weird as an ADD/HD person , I actually work thru my life stresses and challenges when I’m fishing .
I go into this super zone where casting/fishing just becomes automatic almost like involuntary muscle and body functions.
I hardly ever think about the strategy of fishing as I’m fishing .
Instead ,if something is bother me, I think on it and develop strategies to overcome it while I’m fishing autopilot.

Then when I’m living life, daydreaming at work/home , or driving all I think about are the fishing strategies, what fish, where to go , what to use , what techniques etc.. it’s like I work all that stuff out in my brain before I ever touch the water ..
I’ll even have my backup and contingency plans worked out for any possible sideways scenarios on whatever water I’m going to fish the next day .

A soon as I hear that water and settle in I’m taken to another world .
If I’m not stressed on something I just mentally work out some creative endeavors.

Hardest part of it all is choosing what rods come out of the Arsenal to be fished . Lol :lol

Speaking of which what rigs did you and Josh use for the trip ?

Did you take one of your cool BFS rods to use on this trip ?

Those look like some tasty eats and nice beverages y’all were enjoying.
I’m jealous as fishhuntmike is ..

I think Steve needs to take a page from my book and start thinking of that fishing when he’s driving in ..
hopefully with the windows down to smell that great salty air to put him in the mood ..
Glad he got into full Stasis by Saturday eve.

Such an epic trip .
Are you doing the Arroyo Docks trip this year?
Always dig your posts about those docks .
Cheers, Scotto

Post 31 Oct 2022, 08:32 • #20 
Piscator
Hi Scotto,
I couldn't tell you what tackle Josh used - maybe he'll chime in. I know he likes Waterloo custom rods, made for the TX coast, and aimed at all the right niches.

I had a very good rod story this year. My salt finesse rod that I didn't bring - floors, stuns, bowls over - Yamaga Blanks BCIII-82/B. It casts 2 g to 130' with the reel properly set. While it's a great rod for wading and excels at Arroyo docks, I'd never fish it from a kayak. for the simple reason it can't stop a redfish from going under the boat, which would be its demise and heartbreak. Expensive to replace, and delayed by Mr Yamaga's production queue of so many wide-ranging salt models. I have taken it out on the kayak several times to wade and fish Estes cuts, but still worried about it.

This year I added inexpensive Abu Garcia Super Light Shore Jigging rod - $100. Compared to the Y/B, it's longer, wider lure range, stouter, not quite the low-weight-end, but close - and able to stop a redfish from going under the boat - which it did on my trip-fish 24" red.

Had it matched with Zillion Silver Wolf and super-light PE#0.8 X-braid.
(this is the 16" rat red at Little Cut).

The Abu rod won't cast its 3-g low-end to the distance of the Y/B rod, but it fished 1/15-oz finesse jigheads in the marsh perfectly. It was very much like fishing a fly rod.
It was me that let the rod down in marsh - I just didn't go in with a mud marsh mindset. My experience sight-fishing reds will spoil you, wading Fence and Allyn's lakes on remote San Jose Island with a fly rod. But then I've never seen redfish stacked like this in sloughs, like Josh saw at Indianola and we all saw at Welder.
Paid my dues this trip, and I'll go back with a mindset and a mission.

The other place the Abu rod excelled was casting 5-g finesse plugs to greater distance than I needed both wading Little Cut and drifting East Flats.
Two lures excelled for me there. First was Ima K-Ta bora (mullet), suspending/diving lure both in Little Cut and East Flats boat channel.

Second was INX Label Supra 65 prop-tail shrimp on the flats, and the short, soft tip on the Abu rod excelled at working this plug.
This lure caught my trip-fish red, and another before I lost it from my snap.

Caught my flounder on my trusty ML, 13Fishing Omen Green and braid-raced Zillion,
fishing my reliable 1/8-oz Z-man Texas Eye jighead and Minnow-Z shad tail (different color, Sexy Penny)

The rod I still haven't broken in after 2 trips (first trip was a wind-blow-out) is wonderful wide-range MH, which fishes 1/4-oz TSL Grasswalker with aplomb, and on to 7/8-oz Corkys and 1-oz big winter topwaters.

After the freeze last year, TPWD narrowed the speckled trout slot to 3 fish, 17 to 23", increasing the probability of catching schoolie males, and saving nursery females from the creel. That's really added pressure by guides for redfish on accessible flats. This whole trip, we found redfish lure-skiddish. While I got many Grasswalker strikes, I didn't catch a fish on one this trip, and that's extremely unusual.

I hope Stevo didn't take offense at my observation. He was buzzing for 24 hours after he arrived, while Lou and I had tacked down from the first day to salty mofos. Steve is a friend and brother for life, and I once told his ex-wife - I love you Merry, but I've loved Steve longer.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 01 Nov 2022, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post 31 Oct 2022, 09:25 • #21 
Sport
As Ron mentioned, my saltwater arsenal is made up of Waterloo Rods and one classic Houston made All-Star Rod. The Slam Mag and Crank-N Mag were customized with shorter butts for kayak fishing.

Baitcasters:
6'9" Waterloo HP Slam Mag, Medium Power, Fast Action, 1/4-3/4 oz Lures, and 8-14 lbs Line. It's paired with a Lews BB2 Inshore reel with 12 lbs Pline CX Premium Copolymer Line.
6'6" Waterloo Salinity, Med/Lt Power, Moderate Fast Action, 1/8-1/2 oz Lures, and 6-12 lbs Line. It's paired with a Lews Inshore reel with 12 lbs Pline CX Premium Copolymer Line.

Spinning:
7' 2" Waterloo Crank-N Mag, Medium Power, Moderate Fast Action, 3/8-1 oz Lures, and 10-20 lbs Line. It's paired with a Penn Battle II 1000 with 10 lbs Power Pro Braid.
7' 0" All Star Inshore, Medium Power, Moderate Fast Action, 1/8-5/8 oz Lures, and 8-17 lbs Line. It's paired with a Penn Battle II 1000 with 10 lbs Power Pro Braid.

Post 31 Oct 2022, 13:04 • #22 
Master Guide
So Rad!!!
I’ve been Nerding Out on all your guys gear ..
Bulldog I’ve been watching JDM/BFS fishing vids all morning especially the mountain ones .
So cool !
And Josh I just checked out those Waterloo rods .
Some seriously good offerings on their site .
I’m really feeling the Waterloo Phantom rods in 7ft spinning configuration.
It’s seems like the action would fit my style for all purpose angling.
Not to mention it’s affordable!
My inshore quiver needs serious help ..
Tight lines guys !

Post 04 Nov 2022, 07:43 • #23 
Piscator
The first thing I did at the computer after getting home was checking Japan to replace my MIA Supra 65 prop-tail shrimp in Serious Sunrise (my moniker).
I can't remember having more fun with a topwater plug anywhere before, especially at the coast.
It was one of those nearly automatic things several months ago, rounding out a line and leader order at Plat.jp, check the bargain basement - saw the closeout lure, looked cool, threw in two colors that looked useful to me.

Didn't know whether they'd turn the fish on, but the two transparent colors I found at Plat turned me on.
Note the floating front of the lure does 3 things. Noses the lure up at rest, the flukes make the lure dive, and the nebulous clear shape makes the flukes look like a shrimp tail.
Also, that clear dome is a major lens, collecting any available light and blowing it through the lure body.

Thorough search in Japan found these OOS everywhere, maybe out of production.
Plat had 3 in my Serious Sunrise, and I snagged them all.
Threw in a Black Dark for good measure, and Steve gets the reel stand.
Ahh...

Yesterday, decided to order some Haneda Craft small parts through Japan broker noppin.com.
I'm going to want to add to my storage bin there to offset DHL cost, and found this other hot color on Yahoo.

btw, the weight of this finesse plug is 1/8 oz, and it sailed on my long Abu rod.

Post 07 Nov 2022, 21:26 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
What a great string! Looks like a terrific trip. Great photos. Thanks!

Post 09 Nov 2022, 07:38 • #25 
Piscator
Thanks Donny - we'd enjoy your company here, too.
But this trip always coincides with the opening of elk season, and we know wild redfish couldn't drag you away.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=71324&p=391174
Donny can also vouch that Josh is an over-the-top host.

adding a ps - Steve has a 3500 Sprinter to haul lhis Oliver trailer, and Josh jokingly asked if all my friends drive Sprinters.

The one tale that has missed every trip thread so far. Last year and twice this year, we had 7 people to convey to a local restaurant.
So twice again, we had to prove that 7 people could fit in Nina's Q7.
After a day of paddling, I'm not sure how we got Lou folded out of the back seat.

New Topic Add Reply