It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:50

New Topic Add Reply
ABU Rod/Reel Walleyes
Post 14 Oct 2022, 16:50 • #1 
Master Guide
Hit the Columbia River this am on a beautiful fall glass smooth morning using my ABU Ambassadeur 6000 reel and ABU Caster Duett Zoom fiberglass rod. In the past i used this setup for pike but today rigged it with bottom walker and worm harness for walleye.

Ended up with 6 fish in 3hrs. Barges going by seemed to help stir them up and make then bite. It was time well spent as last time a month or so ago i got skunked.

Mike

Post 14 Oct 2022, 17:33 • #2 
Piscator
pretty outfit and nice fish - thanks for the report and photos

Post 15 Oct 2022, 21:16 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks Ron.

I love eating walleyes!

Post 17 Oct 2022, 11:02 • #4 
Master Guide
Amazing Oct morning out there, there are more flat mornings than most people realize, for being not too far from the wind surfing capital of the world...nice weather, rig, boat (Klamath), fish and eating...living well.

Sandman

Post 21 Oct 2022, 13:46 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Nice ! Those fish look tasty, too.

Post 24 Oct 2022, 22:35 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
excellent !
fine old outfit, and I love walleye..

mine have been a bit on the cute side unfortunately, nothing to eat ;-)

Post 31 Oct 2022, 07:53 • #7 
Master Guide
Mike,
That Abu combo is beyond classic..
In my favorite color as well.
You’ve got an amazing quiver of rods and reels.
I freakin love vintage gear so much !!
So choice…

Post 31 Oct 2022, 08:39 • #8 
Piscator
There are a couple of vintage tackle threads currently on BR forum, Abu, Shakespeare, Fenwick.
The pile-on is how crappy old tackle is compared to new, and whether old rods even let you detect fish.
I've linked my replies to several Another Spin threads to show how well the old stuff still works.
https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishi ... nt=2907871

Post 31 Oct 2022, 17:14 • #9 
Master Guide
Thanks for the replies!!

Ron your curio shelf on the link you posted is insane! Love that springy rod and those reels!

Mike

Post 31 Oct 2022, 20:30 • #10 
Piscator
Thanks Mike, no top shelf pun, but that top shelf includes the valuable multipliers - Shakespeare B (twin-worm) and 1st model Supreme (Douglas patent) level winds - a Meisselbach Okeh LW and 1st model nickel-silver Summit for good measure (Pflueger first use of expired Marhoff patent); the NLW reels include Talbot, Meek, Pflueger Redifor, Jack Welch Heddon, and Shakespeare Perfect.

Post 01 Nov 2022, 11:43 • #11 
Master Guide
Nice Ron! I dont know much about those reels. I do have a Pflueger summit reel. Tried fishing it for pike once and got frustrated trying to cast it. Give up on the pretty little reel.

Speaking of small baitcasters for casting micro weight lures (as you discussed in other threads) do you have a recommendation for a good casting micro lite baitcaster setup? Perhaps a link to a reel and rod. I might order a setup as something new to my traditional US sold sporting goods baitcasters.

Post 01 Nov 2022, 13:52 • #12 
Piscator
Mike, certainly the easiest thing to do is buy a ready to go Daiwa "Air BFS" reel.
Look for my pm, we'll take this discussion offline.

If you're a really good flea market and craigslist hunter, you might find a 1500C or 2500C for peanuts.
These can be raced out for a little less than the cost of a new reel, and do everything in a stream you need, but the package Daiwas will double their cast distance with the right rod.

Ebay prices on good mini Ambassadeurs are steep, but they're a blast to work on. I bought mine from Don Iovino, and his price was better than ebay. Don already had most of the LW conversions I wanted. I swapped to BB idler gear, and light Avail spool and mag brake.

I just finished converting my 1500C to IAR with a couple of choice parts scored on ereplacement parts and from Avail in Japan.

Post 01 Nov 2022, 16:24 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I bought a Daiwa Alphas Air TW this spring, when I started learning BFS and got tired of dealing with cheap chinese baitcasters. Here's mine with the stock spool -

I find Digitaka is a pretty good place to buy JDM Daiwa stuff. They ship fast via Fedex; usually I get packages from them in 2-3 days.

There are lighter aftermarket spools available, too. Roro makes a fixed inductor version that also fits the Gekkabijin Air TW and the Silver Creek Air TW. These latter reels are more specialized, and made for saltwater distance casting (gekkabijin) or short distance stream casting (silver creek). They can be ordered direct from Roro (ships from Hong Kong) or from Bait Finesse Empire, but they tend to sell out quickly. The stock spools for these latter reels are more specialized for their respective niches.

There are also variable-inductor spools available on Aliexpress that I find work pretty well for distance casting. They are made by some company called KKR, but sold by various sellers, and are less costly. The size for the Alphas Air TW is "T35 new" (28mm). Aliexpress shipping from China takes a few weeks, though (for me, 14-16 days to CA).

Daiwa Gekkabijin Air TW with aliexpress spool
(customized with 85mm SLP Works carbon handle, Zaion knobs, and red drag star)

Here's my Alphas Air with a carbon handle and cork knobs -

Stock spool and 4# mono; generally the lighter aftermarket spools warn you to only use braid, to prevent crushing the spool.

Lots of info on these reels at tackletour.

Post 02 Nov 2022, 07:16 • #14 
Piscator
the trick with JDM is finding stock, because everything is made in batches. If you find what you want, you need to snag it.
guess we always end up off the thread topic.

and yes, Rob has covered the JDM market pretty well, including spool swaps to get an extra 10 to 20% distance even with the packaged light lure baitcasters.

New Topic Add Reply