It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Oct 2022, 22:03 • #1 
Master Guide
It all started innocently enough our last time down Ocean City Maryland when I taught my sons Chris and Luke how to target Striped Bass on top water and with glass-minnow jigs .

After a quick tutorial and some boundary instructions to stay within a 4block area I slipped over to the boardwalk for some late night wings while the boys fished
Just as I was sitting down to some tasty wings my oldest son Chris called to tell me that he and his brother were getting blown up by schoolies but not connecting..
I told them to slow their popping/retrieve down a smidge and set the hook later ..
A few wings down and I get this text …

The boys stayed out on the water til 2am chasing those schoolies ..
The next day I chilled in the hotel pool while the boys continued the Striper Chase..

Later that evening we drove up to a public park to scout around and enjoyed a great bayside sunset..

After a great meal at the Bonfire steakhouse we settled in on some serious night fishing.
I would take Oceanside from the inlet up to 8th street while the boys would fish bayside..
I was catching lots of fish like this spot
And a few small Black Seabass
I fished some clousers with my fly rod while I bottom fished for whatever ..
No takes on the fly but I did catch a few
Oyster Toadfish on my FinNoir
Meanwhile the boys were banging them up …
Luke caught his biggest Striper on a glass-minnow jig
While Chris got his biggest Striper on topwater

We called it a night to get some sleep before going on charter boat trip the next morning

It was pretty rough seas with some big waves out of nowhere
(The charter had been postponed 2 days due to rough seas)
While I was getting green around the gills along with many other passengers.
The boys were unfazed and proceeded to bust up on a few Black Sea Bass.
Here’s Luke with a beautiful Sebastian ..

Chris hooked up..

Chris and his Lunker Bass

I decided to take the back way home and hit up a few antique shops for some old gold along the way ..
Managed to score a black true temper 77d and a small Taico in wrinkled brown finish.

The boys were so hyped on the whole trip as we chatted about their fishing along our drive home .
They’re already asking me when we’re going back ??
Can’t wait to get outfished again!
Scotto

Post 11 Oct 2022, 05:33 • #2 
Sport
Sounds like an awesome trip. Nice Basement t-shirt too.

Post 11 Oct 2022, 05:57 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
:like

Post 11 Oct 2022, 08:36 • #4 
Piscator
Thanks for the report and photos - next time, add a plate of Maryland seafood for us.
Great times.

Party boat trips were a staple when I was growing up. BTW, you can buy dramamine patch over-the-counter now - even same-day delivery from amazon.
Our epic charter trip was grownups on a 25' cuddy and red snapper opening week. We fished through our bait, I got up on the bow with a Teeny TS350 and counted down blues for cut bait. The samsonite snapper was caught on cut blue.

My buddy Stevo and I grew up together, and our daughters grew up together - part of that time was kayaks at the coast.
Our nite-lite fishing ritual was lighted docks and piers for nursery seatrout - after dinner and before ice cream - which we honed into a grownup meat-fishing skill, now that our girls are grown.

Neumie's annual kayak redfish rodeo is next week - 6 days with an armada fishing different flats.
We've had such a tough drought (literally haven't started the mower in a year), Lou, Steve and I are chomping for the trip.
October is a great month everywhere, between freshwater fall bite and salt bull tides.

ps - I know you're not worried about being out-fished, and likely proud of it - but if you want to catch up, gotta pay dues, as your boys demonstrated.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 12 Oct 2022, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Oct 2022, 09:39 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Your sons are supposed to outfish you. And then fillet the fish, cook them, and serve them with your favorite side dishes. All you have to do is eat and take some pics. Make that post while they clean up the kitchen. Then take another pic of them cleaning up, lubricating, and putting away the tackle or loading it up for tomorrow. Have them help you over to the couch. Make sure they bring your laptop or other device over so you can post those pics. Tell them not to wake you up rattling around in the kitchen making lunch for tomorrow.

Post 12 Oct 2022, 07:33 • #6 
My son Liam pretty much kicks my arse everytime we're on the water and has been doing so for years. It's become a bit of family lore which I strongly encourage.

Post 12 Oct 2022, 07:35 • #7 
Piscator
When I kept a fishing journal, first line began - I've been trying to teach my dad to fish since I was 12.

Post 12 Oct 2022, 11:12 • #8 
Love it!

Post 13 Oct 2022, 14:21 • #9 
Master Guide
Love the pics and the write-up of a memorable couple of days you had with your boys. What a great memory you gave them.

Post 22 Oct 2022, 01:01 • #10 
Master Guide
Good stuff!
Great dad perspectives ,awesome pics and stories
Thank you guys !
I really enjoyed reading all your replies .

There’s no greater compliment to an angler than getting outfished by their student !
Even if I did “mail it in” on this trip ..
Boys won’t be so lucky next time ;)

I’m going with whirlpools philosophy on the next trip lol :lol

Bulldog ,
I hope Josh’s kayak conclave is a success .
Look forward to a report .

Bill Charles wow those are great pics of your son’s fish .
I’ve got a Garcia post brewing up just for you ..

Tight lines , Scotto

New Topic Add Reply