It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 07:33

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Oct 2022, 07:02 • #1 
Guide
As some of you know, due to severe arthritis in my low back and right shoulder, I have been limited in my fishing this past year and have sold most of my good fly fishing gear. I have a very nice pond on our property that has 8-10" bluegill and bass up to about 3 lbs that I haven't fished due to not being able to stand for more than about 10 minutes at a time. I have tried sitting and casting with my fly rods but with little success. I'm thinking that if I had a light or ultra light spinning outfit that I could use to cast small lures and bubbles with flies that I might be able to sit and fish more with less pain. I haven't fished with a spinning outfit for probably 50 years so I am looking for suggestions for a rod and reel combination. I think I would prefer new, not vintage, equipment as I have both Bass Pro and Cabelas in my area. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Not interested in buying any cheap junk that won't cast sell. Thanks.

Post 09 Oct 2022, 08:50 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I have a couple St. Croix graphites, 6’4” Trout Light action 2 piece and a 5’6” Ultralight Panfish 1 piece. Both are nice light and crisp - reel is Shimano Vanford 500 size, with eyes on another in a slightly larger size for 6-8# mono.
If you don’t mind graphite there are many fine options. If glass is required, options are more limited and I have nothing but a Fenwick Ultralight, vintage.

Post 09 Oct 2022, 09:38 • #3 
Guide
Thanks. Glass is not required.

Post 09 Oct 2022, 09:47 • #4 
Piscator
A friend on BR bought a Tica Cetus 800 on my recommendation and really likes it.
If you want to do the smart thing, bypass BPS and buy JDM.
With the current exchange rate, you can get Stradic 1000S for $137 with free FedEx express shipping
This is a step up in line management with worm drive.

The rod I would recommend is Valleyhill Accustream, though note they charge $40 to ship.

Post 09 Oct 2022, 10:20 • #5 
Guide
What model of the valleyhill rod do you recommend?

Post 09 Oct 2022, 11:18 • #6 
Guide
The shorter St Croix trout or panfish are both very nice. I got them for my wife with a Stradic 1000 on model close out.

For Panfish, any of the cheap Shimano ultralights work well. I have oneI paid $14.00 for 5 years ago that is great. Different choice depending on budget.

Post 09 Oct 2022, 16:37 • #7 
Guide
I have a couple of nice vintage (70's) Fenwick glass spinning rods..and don't know much about the modern graphite equipment..

..but agree that St Croix makes good stuff and almost any light Shimano spinning reel will work well for your needs.

A 10" bluegill should put quite a bend in a light rod

Post 09 Oct 2022, 16:40 • #8 
Sport
Mandobear wrote:
Not interested in buying any cheap junk that won't cast sell. Thanks.

This is you, right…
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=67973&p=364665#p364665

Just go ahead and build the spinning rod of your desires on a flyrod blank, whether an old one repurposed or a new blank. You probably like catching fish on flyrod blanks, you like the tapers, the feel, the lengths, etc. Go with it, might make a nice winter project for you and actually invigorate your fishing in ways quite surprising.

I don’t own any spinning rods on spinning blanks, they’re all on flyrod blanks. Not that a blank “knows” what it is, just how they are designed and marketed. Modern guides are awesome, so too are the reels. Did I mention braid/PE lines? Yeah, you’re not done with fishing, just time to groove with some of the limitations on mobility. When it comes to Float'n'Fly/suspension fishing or slow-creep jig presentations, limited mobility and enhanced patience might turn out to be a huge asset.

Post 09 Oct 2022, 18:10 • #9 
Sport
Fenwick HMG rod with either a Shimano Sienna or Daiwa Laguna reel in the 1000 or 2000 size. This would make a great setup that will do everything you're looking for.

Post 10 Oct 2022, 06:43 • #10 
Guide
Yes, that was my post but my building days are over. Hands shake too bad to wrap thread.

Post 11 Oct 2022, 05:39 • #11 
Sport
a couple of years ago I bought my dad a St. Croix Premier 5' UL with a Pflueger President XT in 500, both from Bass Pro. He uses it for the use case you described and thoroughly enjoys the set up. St. Croix customer service is excellent as well. (speaking from personal experience)

Post 01 Nov 2022, 08:49 • #12 
Guide
I’d recommend a St Croix Avid ultra lite. American made and the 5’ one piece is a sheer joy to fish with. I’d recommend the Pflueger President reel it’s very smooth and gets great reviews. I’ve been fishing with a spin outfit since the 60’s. I too have been selling my fly rods. My balance wading streams is not good after two knee replacements and a hip replacement. I have come to enjoy fishing ponds from the comfort of a chair. A good cigar is a must.

New Topic Add Reply