It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:54

New Topic Add Reply
Chinese hooksnout carp
Post 22 Sep 2022, 17:34 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
That is what is written on the rod, I swear :) A month or so ago I picked up one of those Dan Kung GlassFin BFS rods that were reviewed on several BFS-related youtube channels; rated for 1-7g lure weight, 150cm and in 3-piece configuration with spigot ferrules. Apparently they are a bit less noodly than most of the AliExpress glass BFS rods. I'd been practicing with it at the local casting pools, but hadn't actually fished it before last weekend.

I headed up to the mid-elevations of the Sierra, since temps were cooling off, and hiked in to the fork of a river that usually comes into shape around June or so, within the national park. I'd never actually seen it this late in the year. Looked a little skinny in places, at least compared to spring runoff.

There were definitely fish in the pools, but if there was direct sunlight on them they were extremely spooky. But the water being low meant that I could also boulder scramble downstream farther than might be safely possible earlier in the year. The granite was water-polished in places, so I made my way slowly and carefully, spying a plunge pool in the shade.

I rigged up the rod with a Tsurinoya Dark Wolf Ultra and tossed out a Duo Spearhead Ryuki 38S. Yow, the rainbows really dug this lure.

I got a bit of short range casting practice in, and caught another of the first one's friends. Next, I rigged up a Maxcatch Ultraglass 3wt 7' (also 3-piece) and cast a Sierra Bright Dot into the shady parts of the pool.

LL Bean Pocket Water reel with Airflo Xceed WF3F -- I usually find half-weight heavy lines are good for the Ultraglass rods

I meandered down the canyon a bit, where it flattened.

And then scrambled down to another plunge pool.

I kept going a ways, until finding another pool.

By now it was mid-afternoon and I thought I should start heading back up. There was lots more downstream to explore, but not perhaps today.

Back near where I'd crossed from the trail I saw another pool and rigged up the BFS rod again.

The largest fish in the pool happily chased the 38S, but somehow got unbuttoned. I don't do a lot of lure fishing in streams, so it was interesting for me to see how quickly the trouts' reactions changed from "chase the intruder" to "quick, let's hide !" :)

It had been an interesting day of exploration. Every time I head up there things are a little different.

Post 23 Sep 2022, 04:00 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful.

Post 23 Sep 2022, 06:35 • #3 
Piscator
thanks for the report and great photos -
- would be interested in hearing more about how the rod length and tapers compare for casting and fishing.

He shows a couple of very nice combos on his website - both reels are tough to find, and spendy if you do find one.
Avail, IOS Factory and AMO offer great upgrade parts for both reels.

The 2500C has the frame that lowers it on the reel seat.

Post 23 Sep 2022, 08:56 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks guys.

Ron, I don't know if you are askng for a comparison of the BFS and fly rod, but if so, here are my thoughts.

I haven't been stream fishing BFS for long, so mostly I'd defer to what those more experienced YouTube folks have to say. The components on the GlassFin rod seemed pretty decent and I can't really complain about the finish work, certainly reasonable at this price point. I think 2-3g lures worked well for what the rod is marketed as; a small creek rod. I haven't really tried fishing anything lighter, like 1/16 oz Panther Martin's or trout magnets (which I personally would probably only use for warmwater fish anyway :), though 1/16 oz worked in the casting pools. Took a while to ship from China, but the guy who runs Dan Kung sounds like an enthusiast.

I've spent more time with the Maxcatch rod over several seasons, and it's caught a lots of fish. Moderate fast e-glass, two stripping guides, like all the other Ultraglass rods apparently. I tend to use it for brushy low to mid-elevation trout streams, though I did use it to toss small tungsten beadhead nymphs in a lake in the Yolla Bolly Wilderness once; caught a bunch of nice brookies. It's probably my favorite of the Ultraglass series (I also have the 5 and 6wts). I originally bought it as a warmwater "bike rod", but i liked the Maxcatch 4wt 5-piece Uniglass better for that; not sure if they make that one anymore.

The Dan Kung feed on the 'gram has a lot of nice pics of round reels. I wasn't all that interested in round reels initially, but I'm starting to come around :). Might pick up a Conquest BFS or Millionaire CT SV at some point. Not something I'd bring on long hikes or backpacking, but .. you know how it starts; first there is something you covet ;)

Post 23 Sep 2022, 11:51 • #5 
Master Guide
So pretty.

Post 23 Sep 2022, 12:29 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for a look at some pretty (if skinny) water and nice Rainbow Trout. Interesting gear, too.

Post 23 Sep 2022, 13:40 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks again all. Here is some lure pr0n for your further enjoyment -

All treble hooks replaced with barbless single hooks. Spearhead Ryuki 38S on left, Daiwa Silver Creek Minnow Slow Fall Custom 40SS on right.

I had to order the 38S's from an ebay fishing shop in Bulgaria since the colors I wanted were sold out at most other places.

Post 25 Sep 2022, 17:13 • #8 
Piscator
those look good enough to eat.

I invited a friend over here from BR forum - there he posts as redmeandistortion, and he's putting us all to shame on rebuilding round reels for UL.
He's also worked up a nice stack of stream rods.
The low profile reels excel for distance casting, but I really like my braid-raced 1500C for close small water.
Image Image
At this extent of rebuild, BB LW, low mass shallow spool, air spool bearings, centrifugal replaced with 2 magnets, you can make an Ambassadeur backlash-proof throwing 1.5 g.

Adding a ps about another good plug - Smith D Contact - the 2 on top left.
All 5 of these lures have caught fish, on bottom left is the 1st version of Ryuki-S, which is also my first micro plug that caught fish.
Image Image
That first Ryuki is slightly rounder - the current version on right is slimmer and taller.

The questions I was trying to get to about taper relate to the casting rods, the same progressive (tip flex) vs. para (mid-butt flex) taper trade-offs that change the nature of small fly rods; MOC; lure weight rating (power); and, especially, rod length. They offer these rods down to 3'8" (which you expect to be para to get any distance).

I have two stream rods to compare, both are 5'5", chosen by configuration, and would like to hear how others compare. The rods below answer for me.
Both of mine are graphite, Tailwalk Troutia ML is a fast para taper, and the rod I would take to the river in a kayak for UL lures.
Smith Dagger Stream UL is 6-pc telescoping, rated 1 g lighter at each end, and progressive taper (probably the only way you can make telescoping) - it casts like a scalpel. It will also do the fancy things like reverse-spiral for skip-casting beneath overhang.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 04 Oct 2022, 05:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Sep 2022, 10:07 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the tip on the Smith plugs; ordered some 38's and 45's from Digitaka.

Turns out I mis-stated the rod's lure rating: 1-5g. I'm no expert on rod tapers, so I doubt I can answer your question. My baitcasting skills are beginner level anyway; I have to work hard to even approach being merely inadequate :)

Post 27 Sep 2022, 07:33 • #10 
Piscator
hey, you brought two trout to the net - you put it to good use.
I still think you can tell the difference between flexing into the handle and flexing mostly at the tip when you load the rod to cast. Fast, moderate, slow. You mentioned noodle-y reference to the AE glass stream rods, which describes slow.
Thanks again for the report.

Smith's stated stream flagship, and priced accordingly, SS-4 Custom uses an all-wood reel seat. Here's their statement on that.

They offer 3 lengths, all 4-pc, 4'7" to 5'1", all rated 1 g to 7g UL - you'd expect that wide range to be a progressive taper - flex in the tip and fast mid.
Hiroyuki Motoyama, btw, coined the term BFS in print, c. 2000 (they often don't like that on BR, since they want bass to be First).
I looked at this rod when I bought my Dagger Stream, but decided the telescoping rod is handier for bike half-frame bag, since you can carry it rigged, and not have to re-rig it at every crossing.

Don't run out and buy these, but the most stunning finish on all Japan micro plugs are Ray Tune Duplex, which are 3-d modeled in balsa+resin.
The Gallery page on the website has some nice fish and gear.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 27 Sep 2022, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Oct 2022, 09:18 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Whoa, those are exquisite !

Thanks, now I think I see what you are saying about rod action. I don't have any of the aliexpress glass rods, so calling them noodly is just what I've read. I would probably call the GlassFin rod more of a moderate action. I'm going to pay more attention to the flex characteristics you mentioned the next time I cast it.

--

Got out to the casting pools after work yesterday, and I'd say when casting the flex is in the top third to maybe 40% of the rod. Does that help ? I was casting hookless lures from about 1/16 oz to 1/8 oz.

Also, those Smith lures in the Akakin colorway were a big hit with the golden trout last weekend.

New Topic Add Reply