It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:30

New Topic Add Reply
4500CT show and tell
Post 30 Aug 2022, 22:06 • #1 
Piscator
I've posted my 5500CT and 6500CT on another thread.
These are extreme distance NLW versions of Ambassadeur, which I built on custom AKS barstock frames, and used Zzeta side plates on my 5500 surf-lure reel.
kept bait-clicker on the 6500 stake-out reel.

Ever since I discovered Zzeta offered 4500 CT frames, this project has been on my list.
They also make CT frames for 3600, 5600, and 6600, which, like the 4500, no others offer.
Compared to AKS frames, Zzeta really contour-cut thickness and mass from the hidden insides of their frame.

I built this without a reel, buying the parts I wanted, had most of the drive parts I needed, added new Abu brake plate, spool spindle and handle spring.

The only color 4500 frame Kwang (SurfCastProShop, MD) had in stock was gold, so I decided to work on the Conquest look.
Conquest is a reel I'd love to own, but never justify the use, which is why I have a Tica Caiman in offshore jigging niche.
Unlike this reel, which I can use as BFS on my 8' ML surf rod, and already has the split reel seat to match the long reel foot.
Reflection makes a tough photo subject.

Inside, the left plate doesn't have a post for a LW idler gear, and has the built-in bronze "bullet" that accepts the spool spindle. Mine has Avail mag brake added.

The barstock frame foot is longer than a normal reel foot, the spool is also 8 mm closer to the rod, and brings it that much closer to your thumb.

I've always liked the CNC-mill swirl pattern on Zzeta side plates, which needs reflection to photo.
You can't feel this, even with a fingernail, but it shows up in the reflection.

Re: 4500CT show and tell
Post 30 Aug 2022, 22:32 • #2 
Master Guide
Ron

Thanks for sharing. Amazing build with stellar futuristic looks to boot. Almost looks like a 3D computer model. Outstanding work. As i mentioned before my second baitcaster i ever owned was a 4600c. Loved that reel size for ABU reels.

Post 31 Aug 2022, 05:25 • #3 
Piscator
Thanks Mike. I forgot to mention 6.3 gears, which is why the long handle.
The high-speed gears on Ambassadeur 37-mm-dia spool make for fast pick up. Long handle gives you both lure finesse and winching power.
The bronze bullet is specific to NLW surf reels, normally an aftermarket part to pop into your left spool knob - it adds the nice touch of counter-balancing the weight of the offset drive.

It replaces the stock smaller brass bullet and spur gear, also giving up clicker, which pings on the spur gear. Since the spur gear holds the left-side spool bearing in place, also have to add a retaining spring for that bearing.

Post 31 Aug 2022, 09:13 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Wow, just wow !

Post 31 Aug 2022, 18:06 • #5 
Piscator
Thanks again.
One more shot of the reel on the 8' ML surf rod that blended in the side plate swirl, and finally, one with the reflection solved.

I did order another rod, an extreme range 8'9" BFS rod for a very good price.
https://fishingshop.kiwi/ABU-GARCIA-Sal ... C-892L-KR/
The price was too good to pass, and the specs too perfect to plug into Arroyo dock fishing.
If it casts 3 g really well, it will be the rod I take on a kayak, and not risk my Yamaga Blanks 82/B there.
The trim on the Abu rod is a good match for the 4500CT.

This may work, because the Zzeta foot is about 5 mm shorter than the AKS foot (under 3" instead of over).
If it doesn't work, I can still use the 4500CT on the ML surf rod, and my Daiwa Silver Wolf on the Abu rod.
And a gang of CTs.

Post 31 Aug 2022, 22:54 • #6 
Master Guide
Combo looks great! Looking forward to hear on-the-water report in the near future.

New Topic Add Reply