It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:46

New Topic Add Reply
Beetle spin on glass
Post 09 Aug 2022, 12:56 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
A few weeks ago while researching some BFS topic on another forum I ran across this rig I'd never heard of before. This is what happens when you pick up fishing late in life :) Anyhow, I figured it might be fun to try something new and see how the bluegill respond.

I received a few Johnson Beetle Spin rig kits in the mail for panfish and crappie and packed them with me on a hike to a lake in the local hills.

First I strung up my Redington Butter Stick II 6wt and tossed out some RLD's and small bluegill spiders, just to see if anyone was home.

(pic from a couple years ago)

Then I headed around to another part of the lake and got out the Graywolf Trout Smith 7' 3-piece E-glass rod I bought from Shane last year, with 6# Eurotackle braid on a small Pfleuger President.

I looked at the plastics and jig head in the Johnson pack, figured I could do better, and mounted a 1/32 oz jig head I'd powder-painted myself with a 1" EPF Swimbait from Eurotackle in green pumpkin.

Golly, it actually works ! :) A bass decided to get in on the act, too.

I switched to chartreuse.

The rod action was super-fun; not exactly what you would want for bass, but great for trout and panfish. To switch things up I also used a 1.5" B-Vibe and the crappie rig, but with a 1/16 oz jig head.

The Eurotackle braid was nice for spinning, though being very thin it seemed to abrade quite easily. I actually did try their 8# braid on one of my BFS reels, but didn't much care for it in that application (YMMV). I plan to try the 4# on one of my trout spinning reels.

Later I noticed that the rigs can be purchased from other sellers without the jig heads or plastics (I have plenty of those already). The rigs have swivels on the spinners, so I don't think they twist the line. I'll have to try this with a BFS rod, too. Fun !

Re: Beetle spin on glass
Post 09 Aug 2022, 13:43 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice. UL spin fishing is a blast.Have landed 5lb plus bass and cat fish along with some big white bass on UL rigs while fishing for crappie and sunfish.Glass rods and braid, I favor nanofil myself, gives great feel and long casts on very light rods.I does not flatten or fray like most other braids Is slick and fishes more like mono but with zero stretch.I have caught 100s and 100s of fish and have never replaced the line.I have a wall rack full of graphite.UL rods as they are obsolete to me any anyway.Chin spins are even more efficient to fish with .I buy those spinner rigs that by the way Johnson did not invent for pennies in bulk.

Post 09 Aug 2022, 14:00 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I'm a nanofil fan myself, but again wanted to try something new ... the 6# braid Eurotackle sells is a bit thinner than 6# nanofil. I even use 14# nanofil at the beach for surf fishing.

Good to know a bit of the history behind the rig ! Now you've got me curious ...

Post 09 Aug 2022, 18:09 • #4 
Master Guide
Wow, looks like a lot of fun. Those are some really gills must have been a hoot on that glass UL rod. Really cool!!!!!

Post 09 Aug 2022, 21:58 • #5 
Guide
Growing up in Eastern Oklahoma, the Beetle Spin and our local tackle manufacturer,
Okie Bug’s Mini SOB Spinnerbait were my favorite spinning lures on farm ponds and streams. My cousin had access to a large ranch with dozens of stock ponds that received almost zero fishing pressure. I think back to stepping up to the edge of one of those ponds for a first cast, and retrieving the beetle spin near the surface for a huge blowup. Lots of fun with the beetle spins.

Here’s a link to old OkieBug SOB spinnerbait:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -219311859

Post 10 Aug 2022, 07:54 • #6 
Master Guide
Nice!

The Beetle Spin is a killer bait for all kinds of fish! I used to do well on early-season smallmouth bass with them on UL spinning gear. These days, I enjoy throwing them with BFS rigs instead.

In the lake I primarily fish now, Lake Champlain, they seem to really attract the attention of small northern pike and pickerel and I lose the lures at an alarming rate. I don't use them as often as I used to.

Post 10 Aug 2022, 08:35 • #7 
Piscator
Great report as always.
Beetle spin is the one lure I have never scored with, though I've done great all my life with bigger bass rubber-jig spinnerbaits.
Fishing a buzzbait in a reservoir jump is beyond fun.
Striper fishermen on Lake Travis swear by beetle spin.
Even Lou caught bluegill on his when we fished upper Pedernales this spring.

Post 10 Aug 2022, 11:14 • #8 
Guide
Beetlespins and Rooster tails are popular for a reason. They just work. Nice looking rod!

Post 10 Aug 2022, 11:31 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks again all ! I have to try some of those other lures ...

Post 10 Aug 2022, 12:25 • #10 
Master Guide
Bettle Spins on UL spinning gear has been the go-to for panfish since forever where I have fished in FL We also caught more than a few on the fly rod throwing the Round Dinny.

I've picked up some Panfish Magnets and will give them a go one of these days on my UL spinning outfit.

New Topic Add Reply