It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:20

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Jul 2022, 14:56 • #1 
Master Guide
Built out this vintage Fenwick fiberglass spinning rod a couple of years ago and have enjoyed catching a variety of fish on it. With the exception of the Fenwick logo, the designation on the blank is hard to make out. Best I can tell it is SP 782. The rod is 6.5 ft. long and has, what I would describe, as a medium light action. I usually fish it with a 6 lb. fluorocarbon leader tied to braid.

The rear and fore grips were made with burl cork, and accent pieces of green stabilized buckeye and red heart bordered with green spacer material. All turned on a Dale Clemens’ rod lathe, (Renzetti), and then 6 or 7 coats of Tru Oil to protect and bring out the grain of the burl cork and accent pieces.

To compliment the color scheme I used an American Tackle reel seat with holographic hoods. Likewise for guides, used American Tackle holographic NanoLite spinning guides all wrapped with complimentary purple thread and green trim rings.

Finally for the winding check, I made a “swelled” area with U40 rod bond and after curing sanded to shape then covered with the purple thread and green trim bands. My artist wife painted the tiger colored vintage lure on this swelled area.

Bought a used Quantum Energy Pti 20 which has the holographic color scheme to match the color scheme of the rod.

Recently I decided to wade a local Ozark stream and after catching a few largemouths something bit and put one heck of a bend in the rod. To my surprise turned to be a nice channel cat.

And it worked great on some Canadian smallmouth.

Got a couple more of these vintage Fenwick rod blanks. Just gotta figure out how to build them out.

Thanks for looking.

Post 18 Jul 2022, 12:12 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
That color scheme really pops. Nice !

New Topic Add Reply