It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:40

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Jun 2022, 09:55 • #1 
Master Guide
I saved this rod and reel, an unused fishing time capsule until this trip for no particular reason other than conditions were perfect for sight fishing in shallow water. I bought both 3 years ago. Reel still had price tag and everything still on it. The reel was manufactured in 1965 (my birth year) according to serial number and was the reel i wanted most as a kid (caught my first big bass in 1979 on a borrowed rod/reel exactly like this), hence the attraction. The rod, a Garcia Conolon, is of similar vintage and was unused also. I finally took the unfished outfit fishing for an hour at Newman Lake within 300 yards of our cabin and caught two medium bass before quitting. The fish were caught near where i caught my first big bass 43 years ago (5 3/4 lbs). I now own several Mitchell 300s and this '65 sample is the best of the bunch! I love fishing vintage tackle but this particular setup is most meaningful to me as it reminds me of the skinny 13 yr old boy trying a texas rigged plastic worm for the first time and hauling the "monster" bucketmouth to the surface and thinking it was a lake record. Of course it was far from it but i had never seen a bass that big up close until that moment and had substantial effect on direction of my life's journey.

Thanks for looking!

Post 07 Jun 2022, 10:59 • #2 
Piscator
great story and nice bass.

Totally off topic, I have a birth-year Raleigh Lenton...
Image Image

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 07 Jun 2022, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Jun 2022, 11:23 • #3 
Master Guide
Sweet bike!!!!

I grabbed one of these (last one after UK covid penny farthing buying spree, a 56")

Ive been trying to figure out how to go fishing using it and capturing a photo of it with my wet plate collidion photography setup using an 1886 portrait lens.

Post 07 Jun 2022, 11:36 • #4 
Piscator
Now we can totally derail your nice fishing thread. Gear-inches when you make a gear chart calculation are the equivalent diameter of that front wheel.
Here's an example of my favorite half-step triple - chainrings across top, rear cogs going down.
You can see my granny + 14t just about matches your new ride. Not a bad gear for shallow grade.
In practice, you don't use the extreme Big-big and Small-small, but you do find yourself spending a lot of time on the 17t cog with all 3 chainrings.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 07 Jun 2022, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Jun 2022, 11:39 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Cool stuff guys,all of it.

Post 07 Jun 2022, 17:39 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
pretty outfit, and nice fish..

Post 07 Jun 2022, 18:57 • #7 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
Now we can totally derail your nice fishing thread. Gear-inches when you make a gear chart calculation are the equivalent diameter of that front wheel.
Here's an example of my favorite half-step triple - chainrings across top, rear cogs going down.
You can see my granny + 14t just about matches your new ride. Not a bad gear for shallow grade.
In practice, you don't use the extreme Big-big and Small-small, but you do find yourself spending a lot of time on the 17t cog with all 3 chainrings.

Great stuff I didnt know!!

Thanks for sharing!

Post 07 Jun 2022, 23:41 • #8 
Master Guide
Your Garcia brings back great memories. My first UL looked pretty much like yours. Still have it, but far worse condition after many years of hard use.

Post 09 Jun 2022, 08:45 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Great pics of tackle, bass, bike and cat ! :)

New Topic Add Reply