It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:00

New Topic Add Reply
Lamiglass for musky?
Post 26 Apr 2022, 16:29 • #1 
Guide
I’m looking for a musky rod, and found this 8’ Lamiglass in my attic. Does anyone know what the recommended lure and line weight would be for this rod? Thanks for any info you can give me. Oops. The rod reads: SH 97 4M. I can’t seem to post a photo.. thanks , John

Re: Lamiglass for musky?
Post 26 Apr 2022, 17:12 • #2 
Administrator
Spin rod? Casting rod?

Tom

Post 27 Apr 2022, 09:04 • #3 
Guide
It’s a 2 piece spinning rod.

Post 27 Apr 2022, 11:30 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Why doesn't posting a photo work ? Is it a message saying "photo is too large" or something like that ? If so, you can probably google instructions for cropping it, which should reduce the size, depending on whether you are using a phone, PC or Mac.

Post 27 Apr 2022, 15:10 • #5 
I consulted my 1987 Lamiglas catalogue but didn't find the exact designation in it. However, it seems that SH stand for Steelhead, 97 for the length in inches and 4M for power/action. As I conclude from specs on other spinning rods it migt be suited for throwing up to perhaps 3/4- 1 oz, maybe a tad more. Try it!

If it's suitable for musky I can't say, we do not have them i Sweden, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it for our pike, wich can be quite large, if I wanted to use lures in that weight range.

(Edited spelling etc.)

Last edited by Fario Occidentalis on 28 Apr 2022, 14:04, edited 2 times in total.

Post 27 Apr 2022, 15:13 • #6 
Guide
Thanks odonata, I just needed some encouragement to figure it out.

Post 27 Apr 2022, 20:08 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
If it works for steelhead, it'll work for muskies. You might be limited on the size of lures you can throw with it, but you'll be able to handle nearly all muskies you're likely to encounter with it.

Post 28 Apr 2022, 09:07 • #8 
Piscator
That would have been my guess - and the correct answer from the man who knows.

Post 28 Apr 2022, 10:03 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The only downside is that it probably isn't going to be stout enough to do super effective boatside work, but glass isn't the best material for that in general, so you just have to get creative in addition to understanding that you're just not going to be quite as effective with figure 8's. It still sounds like a helluva fun rod to play with toothy critters with.

Post 28 Apr 2022, 10:42 • #10 
Piscator
E-glass is used in billfish rods https://www.tackledirect.com/tackledire ... -rods.html
but I understand your point.
Long rod, you'd guess powerful butt, but I don't know what 4M means.

Post 28 Apr 2022, 10:42 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
oh yeah, it'll have more than enough backbone for the fish but man, even with my 12wt glass (I rarely fish it for tigers) the upper half still folds over too much when doing figure-8's to really do the finer movements that can sometimes mean an eat vs no eat. Certainly doesn't stop me from fishing solely glass for the tigers I have out here though....a perfectly acceptable sacrifice IMO.

Post 28 Apr 2022, 13:59 • #12 
I’ve looked some more in the 1987 catalog.
It states that the first two positions represents series of blank or rod, next two length in inches, the last number the power of the tip of a blank in its own series and the last letter action. So:
SH- steelhead
97 inches
4- power (another SH 97 2F has casting w. 1/4-1/2 oz , SH 109 5M 1/2-1 oz) so probably about 7/8 oz for this rod?
M- medium action (curves in upper half of blank).

Source: 1987 Lamiglas catalog.

(Edited spelling etc.)

Post 28 Apr 2022, 21:36 • #13 
Sport
I'm guessing you don't have any other musky rods and are just starting. My advice is to take it out and see how it will cast an ounce and a half lure. Thats pretty much the bottom end of musky lures. If it will do that and is relatively stiff, it will work, kind of.

My personal opinions on musky tackle.
15 to 20 pound line will beat most any musky in open water, if you're fishing around snags, it will lead to heartbreak.
Spinning tackle is good for live bait, 5 to 7 inch shiners, and maybe jigs, I don't use it for anything else.
Musky rods are built to cast and work large lures, not play fish, 8 foot steelhead rods aren't made for musky lures.
Casting reels have much more cranking power and controllability for musky lures than spinning reels.
You can put spinning tackle to general purpose use for musky, but you probably won't be very happy.

If you want to dabble in musky fishing without blowing the budget, way too easy to do, look on Ebay for a heavy flipping stick and an Ambassadeur 6000.
That combo will fish spinners in the 2 ounce range, 8" minnow baits like Grandmas or Cranes, small jerkbaits like Eddies, or large jerkbaits like Suicks or Bobbies, small to medium sized crankbaits and most any topwater. If you ignore the magazine and Youtube hype, you can have a lot of fun and catch a lot of fish. And you can use your spinning rod for the lighter stuff. Unless you decide to target the largest fish, you truly will never need anything else. Good fishing.

Tim

Post 29 Apr 2022, 09:28 • #14 
Guide
Even after a dozen years checking out this site, I’m still blown away by how helpful and knowledgeable Fiberheads are. I’m going to dabble in my musky attack this summer, then see if I want to step up to heavier equipment, and commit seriously. Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts. John

Post 29 Apr 2022, 10:46 • #15 
Guide
"Even after a dozen years checking out this site, I’m still blown away by how helpful and knowledgeable Fiberheads are"

Thought I am far from being a dozen years on this site, I am consistently blown away by the knowledge. Whenever I feel like a know a lot, I just read this site!

New Topic Add Reply