It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:15

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 May 2022, 19:46 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
I'll let you know when my next .kiwi order gets here - I ordered some floating finesse plugs and threw in some Vanfook hooks.

Thanks!

Post 31 May 2022, 21:35 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Received a few Jackson lures in the mail. I can see what you mean about tiny split rings.

The pliers are for crushing the micro-barb on the Gamakatsu's; got them from BFE. We'll see what the fish think later on in the season...

Post 03 Jun 2022, 05:21 • #28 
Piscator
Looking good. On purpose, I don't have any yaname patterns, because I'm targeting warmwater and saltwater (Ayu = mullet).

All my Trout in the Classroom schools (28 this year) released their trout fry at the end of the school year.
It would be a great time for tailwater hatch-matching.

Post 03 Jun 2022, 09:48 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Odonata wrote:
Received a few Jackson lures in the mail. I can see what you mean about tiny split rings...

I ordered another pair of the Smith Split Ring Pincette tweezers which work great down to a size 1 split ring. I plan to dress down the 2nd pair to handle the size 0 and 00 split rings I sometimes encounter on trout lures.

Post 17 Jun 2022, 10:54 • #30 
Piscator
Bamboozle wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:
I'll let you know when my next .kiwi order gets here - I ordered some floating finesse plugs and threw in some Vanfook hooks.
Thanks!

Back as promised - fishingshop.kiwi held my order for 2 weeks waiting for one of my lures to restock. Just received it yesterday.

Vanfook minnow hook #6 installed on the tiny 36-mm plug, and next to it, a USM Owner #6, which is the same as Cultiva S-55
The Vanfook ME-41BL has smaller eye, shorter shank, and overall looks stickier.
Definitely lower fouling tendency to go along with improved hook-up. (also 16 hooks/pkg)
The tiny Smith Gunship floater/diver is for sight-fishing redfish in skinny grass - same place you'd use a flyrod.
The lure would need a smaller #8 with the Cultiva hook.

These are my stream boxes, floating (+diving) and sinking - neither box has a lure over 4 g

The boxes are Meiho 800NS - at $3/ Do Not Pass Go on these -
the best and most efficient small lure box I've ever used -
you can stack a gang of these in your fishing bag, along with everything else you want to bring.

and since I'm here, the lures I added to salt finesse boxes today

Magbite Mimiq slow-sinking pencil shrimp that makes me want to wade Fence Lake with UL right now. The Vanfook attractor Drift hooks are part of the action -kicking shrimp tail and dragging shrimp antennae.
Timon Buriburi glow floater/diver going into Arroyo glow finesse box (only floater in the box). We mostly prospect deep in the navigation channel for schoolie specs, but have seen times when their defense mechanism sent them to surface-only eats.
Smith Gunship 45F that fit bad boy #3 Vanfook hooks
The same Smith Gunship 36F I show in the first photo on this post

-ps - I was tinkering with diminutive 38 mm Ryuki S plugs, and discovered the #6 Vanfook ME-41B has shorter shank than #8 Cultive S-55

Post 29 Jul 2022, 10:16 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Just noticed that Meiho has a US distributor in CA now. Lots of different boxes on the site. I tend to prefer the smaller ones for hike-in destinations. Thanks Ron !

Post 29 Jul 2022, 14:13 • #32 
Piscator
that's great news - my favorite for stacking a pair in a Troutbeck bag, along with fly reel, etc., is the 800NS I showed above.
The beauty of the Free Case design is infinite bin-length adjustments - this size is also only 1" thick.
They do make many smaller, and doubled-sided, as well.

Post 03 Aug 2022, 18:21 • #33 
Master Guide
I was throwing single hook 1/16 oz Panther Martins last on 4 lb test week in Carolina. I had bent the barb down. I had 2 hits in short order and landed one.

So far I’m just buying them already equipped with single hooks. I’ll refer back to this thread in the future if I need/want to replace them or put single hooks on something else.

It prolly wouldn’t hurt to make this thread a sticky, if possible, as the info has enduring value.

Post 04 Aug 2022, 06:56 • #34 
Piscator
This came from the "I want to try this" files -
- had these Vanfook spinner hooks with pre-tied woolly bugger around for awhile, until I found the spinner I wanted to swap them into.
The pre-tied hooks are Vanfook Aomidoro (marabou) AM-801 (olive) and 802 (brown)
The perfect spinner is Mukai Max Spinner 4.0 g - a single-hook spinner made to keel hook-up and let you bottom-bounce for the best of everything.

You can do the same thing at your vise with a Tiemco 5263 hook.
Part of the trick is finding a spinner that uses split ring to hang the hook.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply