It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:08

New Topic Add Reply
Blown Out Apr 9-10
Post 11 Apr 2022, 09:45 • #1 
Piscator
Steve and I decided to go ahead with this trip to Palm Harbor - it was really a smoke run of his new camping rig.

I hauled both our boats on my p/u bed extender, and we were set up in plenty of daylight.

Early enough to make it to Los Comales, where the top shelf Ritas aren't soda pop, and are the size of a fish bowl

I usually order the fish, but this time went for the Tarasco Shrimp - and of course we had stuffed jalapenos. The shrimp was perfect, and the mushrooms in the sauce picked up all the oils - it was great.

TexasJim joined us to launch Saturday morning. The drill was try to catch the incoming tide at Little Cut.
The only shots I took on the water - Steve rigging to launch

and Jim in the sunrise over Traylor Is and Little Cut - we had to trudge the last 30 yds to get there on the low tide.

The cut was dead - it was Sunday's tide that was better on paper. Jim stayed to work over the deep holes in the cut, while Steve and I trudged back to paddling water to set up drifts on the building wind - he drifted Trout Bayou, and I fished the duck blinds out from Big Cut. It was a bust of a fishing day, though a pretty nice paddle.
Jim and Steve both brought in flounder that finally came unhooked. I had one nice red follow my TSL grasswalker to the boat, and a few non-committed strikes. We saw rat reds concentrated on the shelves. We all called it about 1pm, when the wind was building to 18 kt and pushing us back to Palm Harbor.

After shower and nap, Steve and I made the early run to Jim's recommended restaurant - Mickey's Bar and Grill at Ramson Rd. marina.
It was a great call. Their crab cakes were great, their jalapenos were whole, wrapped in butterfly shrimp and bacon, and grilled.
Steve had the market Mahi, just delivered fresh when we arrived, and I tried the chef's special Pecan crusted flounder, with green beans sauteed in crunchy bacon - it was excellent.

The plan Saturday night was try the bulkhead along the ICW. The manager reported his grandkids had been catching slot reds there last Wed and Thurs.
I brought a box of deep glow lures just for this, but the building 22+kt wind was too brutal to make it enjoyable, and would continue building through Sunday noon.
The tailwind made for an easy drive home Sunday morning. I've never made this trip before without having to buy gas at Sinton, but made the round trip this time with 1/4-tank to spare.

We got our seafood fix and enjoyed the RV'ing, also enjoyed Saturday's paddle, though the trip was a bust for fishing.

Re: Blown Out Apr 9-10
Post 11 Apr 2022, 10:34 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
We all get skunked. That food looks tasty, and looks like a nice paddle !

Re: Blown Out Apr 9-10
Post 11 Apr 2022, 14:32 • #3 
Piscator
We had a great time, and made limonade from limes - or at least the bartender did.

I've always said the times and the friends are more important than the fish - guess this was a test of that.

Anybody with a similar favorite meal spot on fishing trips, feel free to chime in.

New Topic Add Reply