It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:31

New Topic Add Reply
CETUS SS500 Question
Post 23 Feb 2022, 12:37 • #1 
Sport
I recently purchased a CETUS SS500 Reel. This is my first spinning reel so I don't know alot about the workings of these.

When I filled the spool I had line lay that was much thicker at the bottom than the top. I replaced the washer .05 with the skinniest one in the included pack .025. This helped but I am still getting line lay that is thicker at the bottom.

Is there any other adjustments I can make to the reel to get the line to lay level?

Thanks for any ideas.

John

Re: CETUS SS500 Question
Post 23 Feb 2022, 14:56 • #2 
Piscator
Hi John,
I've never had a line lay issue on Cetus - photos would sure be helpful.
Fluoro - YGK Ambercord 3.5lb.100 m spool (the diameter you can see is 8-lb Seaguar abrasion leader)

Finesse braid PE# 0.3, 150 m (don't remember if there's backing, but maybe a little)

Both have slight bias to the spool bottom that I would call perfection for a deep spool and locomotive drive

Again, it would help to see photos -- only photo I have are stacked surf-reel washers
- shallow spool, worm drive

tightening the drag also tends to move the line up the spool - I wouldn't over-tighten it, but see if loading with a natural working drag helps. - if you can, set the drag to 1/4 of the line test before you strip it.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 24 Feb 2022, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 Feb 2022, 15:00 • #3 
Sport
Bulldog,

You nailed it! I just went home at lunch and set the drag to 25% of my line weight (I didn’t get to that before I started working the line lay issue) and stripped the line and respooled.

It is level now, my drag needed to be tightened quite a bit from where it was to get to 25%. That appears to be the issue I was having.

Thanks for the idea to get me thinking!

John

Post 23 Feb 2022, 15:34 • #4 
Piscator
awesome - you're welcome and thanks for the update.

These are really neat little reels - better and smoother than the Microns they imitate.

My first one fished 8 years in salt XUL and caught many big speckled trout (and many more little ones)

Post 23 Feb 2022, 17:17 • #5 
Sport
Can’t wait to fish with it.

I chose the reel based on reviews and comments about it on this forum from you and several other experienced spin guys, which I’m not.

I think it is a great balance between quality and cost.

New Topic Add Reply