It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:26

New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Feb 2022, 15:09 • #1 
Sport
Mitchell #308 vs #300

My new neighbor at the lake is a retired fighter pilot who had not used his tackle for several years. He proudly showed his reels to me, a blue Michell #300 and #408, shortly after he moved in, and indicated he was going to fish as soon as he could get settled but first he would need fresh lines on the reels. I told him to buy a bulk spool and I would help him put it on. He wanted no part of that but was going to trust the local tackle shop and have a "professional" job done. I could not dissuade him so it was off to Knutson's Outdoor Store. A few days later he called me and sheepishly told me that his 408 came back with the line wound on backward and wondered If I could help. The first thing I noticed was that the 408 winds the line in the opposite direction as the 300. Truthfully, I had never noticed that before. I walked the entire spool out on the lawn with the spool revolving on a screwdriver then used a power drill to install it the right way.

The following year he indicated that it was again time for new line and when I offered to help he informed me that he did not need my help to install a fresh line as he was taking it to Cabelas and bypass the "amateurs" at the local shop. A week or so later he came over "hat in hand" to inform me that Cabelas had indeed installed the lines in opposite directions after he pointed this need out to them but now he discovered that both reels were now spooled in the wrong direction!
After reversing the line on the 300, I punched the button on the 408 and started to pull off the spool when the entire front end of the spool came off in my hand while the rear two-thirds of the spool along with the line stayed on the reel. Close inspection showed that Cabelas had wound the line on so tight that it had cut the spool in two. The spool had three metal pins molded in the plastic for strength and after cutting through the plastic the line had wound around the three pins forming a tight triangle. He seemed distraught stating that he would never find another spool for a reel that was so long out of production. I assured him that I was headed to the NFLCC National in a week and could certainly find a 408 spool for him. I found a nice one in the spool case for $1. I count this entire experience as one that fits neatly into the category of "You can lead a horse to water but.........".

Mild Bill

Last edited by Bill Sonnett on 23 Feb 2022, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Feb 2022, 15:44 • #2 
Piscator
ouch.
No offense Bill, but I'm guessing blue are 408 and likely 410.
Nothing is creepier than letting a tackle shop line your reel.
Incredulously. people have reported both on this forum and Clark's board about their screwed up Youngs and Hardys from letting fly shops use motor winders for backing,

My 410 has an aftermarket barstock spool that I snagged when it showed on ebay.
(cropped at camera resolution from a display shelf photo, so not a great photo)

Honestly, nothing is easier than lining your reel running the line through a phone book on a bucket for tension - put a weight on top - I guess maybe if you don't have a phone book.
I put the reel and rod in a rod holder clamped to a bench, run the line only through the 2 closest guides.
You can even set the source spool on the floor label-up to eliminate coiling.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 23 Feb 2022, 06:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Feb 2022, 18:53 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Everyone should know how to replace line and if using mono replace it often.

Post 23 Feb 2022, 07:03 • #4 
Piscator
likely less a case of knowing how than trusting the big talk at the tackle shop.

As far as Cabelas, the snootiest 20-somethings I've ever encountered work there.
Or maybe it was the ACK expansion store - solved by Summit Sports "merger" and bankruptcy.

Post 23 Feb 2022, 08:08 • #5 
Sport
Yes Bulldog, I must have been tired when came up with "308". LOL You are right about the attitude of young fellows working in tackle stores. I have heard the word "obsolete" on more than one occasion when discussing my tackle in that setting.

Post 23 Feb 2022, 10:01 • #6 
Piscator
The closer you get to grass roots, the better your chances of finding a service-oriented business, with an individual who understands and respects what you love.
We've covered tackle and kayaks, bike shops are the same.
In a city of a million people, I can think of two bike mechanics I trust to use the tools and fixtures I can't afford or justify - one of them is the son who grew up in the 40-year business with his mom and dad.

Post 23 Feb 2022, 14:00 • #7 
Plus the fact that Cabela's is long since not worth visiting for anything since well before their acquisition by Bass Pro Shops. I've found that refilling my own spools is not only a decent way to make sure it's done right, but also just a simple pleasure. I use a fair amount of monofilament backing on my vintage Mitchell, DAM Quick, and Daiwa spinners, with maybe 100 yards of 8 or 9 carrier braid, then a flourocarbon top shot. Some of these reels you can shim the spool shafts to get good line lay, but others require no adjustment or very subtle adjustment like a drop of flexible Loon UV cure on the bail stop to bring the line roller into good alignment for level spooling for braid. I can remove this little clear "button" of UV cure adhesive with no damage to the bail components, yet if you wipe the part clean with denatured alcohol before applying, it stays put when you close the bail and provides a little cushion similar to the rubber bumper many reels have installed on the spool cup. With the right braid, I've found these old reels still cast well or better than with straight mono. You can cast farther, troll deeper with braid, and you don't need to change the braid annually or more often. Just retie a flouro top shot or leader every so often. I prefer the FG knot these days, and I've learned to tie it without tools or other special finagling. On ultralight 2-6lb. setups, a 10-12 turn double uni knot works fine if I'm rocking in a boat on the water, trying to fend off the breeze. For folks who don't want to mess with this stuff, I agree with the OP, find a buddy who likes doing it!

Post 23 Feb 2022, 21:27 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I have 2 dedicated tackle/bait shops within 10 minutes.They keep their doors open for 2 reasons.1 they know their stuff and DO know how to spool line including putting mono backing on for braid.2- they sell bait and high quality bait,i haul 3 or 4 hundred minnows 3 hours to southern Il every spring for the crappie run and they survive the 4 day trip with many to gift new arriving anglers when we leave.It is a mystery after almost 20 years on the the same trip that the local bait shops down there are terrible.Both local shops have actual good fisherman that run the shops and are in tune with the local fishing.I spool my own line and have since an old timer taught me how to when i was a kid.He also taught me how to fillet fish.My old man always cooked fish whole.

Post 24 Feb 2022, 13:29 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
ok so I'm baffled, how do you get line on the spool backwards ?
I guess there must be a winding machine involved so the spools aren't on the reel. Weird. The pleasure of spooling up with fresh new line is something I enjoy, wouldn't want to outsource it much less pay to have it done badly..

Post 24 Feb 2022, 13:41 • #10 
Piscator
probably chucking the spool separate from the reel on a machine and spinning it up

Post 24 Feb 2022, 14:35 • #11 
Master Guide
Yes, they separate the spool for the reel and place it on a spooling machine. Easy to get backwards...had it done once on a standard 308 spool because they offered for free while I was there buying line...they crushed the plastic arbor...never again...went back later after I realized it and the guy said even on the lightest setting they wind so tightly that it can crush plastic arbors...I think they gave a dollar off my purchase or something like that...I thought, why didn't the guy tell me that could happen..it was a major chain store.

Sandman

Post 25 Feb 2022, 07:20 • #12 
Piscator
that cost more than free

Y'all should make sure this thing is on - and turn it up

New Topic Add Reply