It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:41

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Jan 2022, 17:48 • #1 
Master Guide
I didn’t want to clutter the board last year. Figured with all this snow which has me day dreaming, I’d share a few more from ‘21 on the FS61. It’s quickly becoming a favorite.

Of my Fenwick collection, last year I used my FSP661 and FF605 too. And am also building the SP782F. I had finished the 661 earlier last year. I found the 782 and 661 blanks on eBay from different sellers. Didn’t pay much either.

I used the FS61 quite a bite. On 5 creeks in 3 states. It seemed a little whimpy at first but I just wasn’t used to it. I do enjoy the Fenwicks. Along with Fenwick rods, I also have a couple of small Woodstream boxes for wading and several tackle boxes for storing fly tying and rod building materials.

I was using a garage sale reel that my son found and then repaired. However, my good friend found a Garcia Mitchell 408 at a garage sale. I loaded it with P-line. It is in excellent condition too.

I have the grip on the 782 and scribed the model number too. Have to wrap it.

I do love my wade fishing.

Post 17 Jan 2022, 22:49 • #2 
Master Guide
Very nice ! And the fish appreciate your extra care by keeping them near / in the water I'm sure.

Post 18 Jan 2022, 17:07 • #3 
Guide
Free the Fighter, sweet builds and nice pairing with Garcias.

Post 19 Jan 2022, 08:44 • #4 
Piscator
choice combo - great outing and very nice fish

Post 19 Jan 2022, 11:51 • #5 
Guide
Either despite or due to not being up to date on all the most modern UL spinning reels, in my opinion the Mitchell 408 is still a great one!

Post 19 Jan 2022, 12:50 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Excellent condition on that rod and love the reel choice.Not trying to hijack your thread but while the pics are right in front of me,I now own my first Fenwick spinning rod myself.I was gifted a fs70 that the mice/rats got to the cork.Thought it would make a nice crappie or a Lake Michigan fishing off the seawalls for lake perch.But the grips ,or whats left of them are identical to these.Any way or any where to get these .Might just split then down the middle with a fine hack saw and reattach .Any help or advice would be appreciated.Not interested and trying to remove the whole reel seat/grid assembly.

Post 20 Jan 2022, 14:48 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
great outfit and fish..

I have a couple new UL reels but still prefer to fish my old Mitchell 308.. it doesn't fit on the spiffy new Shimano Trout One reelseat, otherwise I'd fish it on that rod too..

applying for some Boundary Waters permits this year, if we can get them the Fenwick SF75-5 and Mitchell will get some exercise there, says he hopefully.

Post 20 Jan 2022, 17:42 • #8 
Master Guide
Doug, I was putting a Tennessee grip on the 782. Then I found that the Mitchell’s reel feet are too wide for the rings. So, I decided on a regular seat and grips.

Hersh, my son broke the plastic reel seat on his old Berkley Wrangler (images somewhere on the board). I used a Dremel to remove the seat, rear and fore grip. And an easy reaming of cork and epoxy for replacements parts. Was pretty easy to replace. I didn’t want to have to take of the rear grip but had no choice as to slide on reel seat. And just decided to have new matching fore grip too. Mudhole has a good selection of parts.

Thanks for the complements, y’all.

New Topic Add Reply