It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:33

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Dec 2021, 18:23 • #1 
Guide
I have a St. Croix, 8 ft 6 in surf rod labled for lures 1/2 to 2 oz. It will be used for bluefish, stripers, albies and barricuda. I'm thinking of a Lew's BB-1 Pro 1XH. A 10 lb or larger fish would not be uncommon.

Is the above mentioned reel a reasonable choice? Are there other better choices? I would like to keep the cost at $250 or less, if possible.

Thanks

Post 29 Dec 2021, 19:07 • #2 
Guide
Diawa Lexa or Shimano Tranx are two solid choices to add to list in the bigger lowpro styles. Lots available used also. Depends on the line capacity you need. You can also get the little Penn squall cheap if you don’t want a level wind.

Post 30 Dec 2021, 08:45 • #3 
Piscator
I agree with the choices G8trwood posted.
I don't hesitate to fish my Lew's Super Duty's inshore, but they're really only exposed to salt air.
After 4 years, had to replace the magnets in my first SD mag brake because of salt attack - otherwise, they fish great.

Surf fishing, water and sand slurry is a bit more pervasive, and east coast surf is known for very fine, penetrating sand.
Okuma Komodo with stainless steel gears, available in 2 sizes, just meets your price range in LHW on Amazon, and both sizes in RHW are less.

That said, my old Lew's BB-1NG that fished both surf and inshore still functions.
A guide buddy killed his in 2 years by never cleaning it.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 30 Dec 2021, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Dec 2021, 08:47 • #4 
Guide
The Komodo is a great real, I have the 364SS. Just note it has a non disengaging level wind. For heavier baits I don’t feel it makes much of a difference. I am in my 60’s and don’t hero cast ;) anymore so ymmv. I feel it is much more HD than the Lews 300 size. I have the original WB inshore as comparison (BBS02?). Never owned a Lews SD so I can’t comment there.

Post 30 Dec 2021, 09:20 • #5 
Piscator
All fair - I don't have a Komodo, and have very good custom Abu CT's for the surf.
Other reels that come in on the mark are Daiwa Coastal TWS and there is odd stock out there of recent Abu CT Blue Yonder.

lures

spider weights

Just retired my BB-25SW a couple of years ago in favor of SD.

Post 31 Dec 2021, 20:49 • #6 
Guide
How bout Daiwa Lexa vs Okuma Komodo SS , power handle and larger size.
Any significant difference in casting performance?

Post 31 Dec 2021, 22:52 • #7 
Piscator
as G8trwood pointed out, Komodo does not separate LW from freespool, but the spool drives the LW during cast - so the Lexa ought to cast better.
He owns the reel - that was something I didn't know. You definitely want long casts from the surf.
If you notice, my surf reels don't have LW - they're custom-raced pocket rockets.

Daiwa Magforce is a very good braking system. Here's Jun Sonada's description
https://japantackle.com/tackle_topics/brake_system.htm
It provides a linear mag brake for mid-cast wind backlash, which is the only thing to adjust.
The moving brake rotor automatically provides the equivalent of a centrifugal brake when needed at start start-up (big weights), and returns to linear mag brake when jerk and acceleration is done - this gives faster spool and longer casts than centrifugal brake.
It excels at lighter weights - this is actually what you adjust for - lighter weights need more mag, facing wind needs more mag.

Post 01 Jan 2022, 18:51 • #8 
Guide
Pretty straightforward comparison of the big players in the 3-400 size. TLDW version, tranx :)

https://youtu.be/8_9yvvvvy60. This is on Komodo vs others

https://youtu.be/La_i80k3xp4. Comparison of Lexa, Tranx and Abu

Just fyi the 200 Komodo has a disengaging LW

For a cheap non level wind, the Penn Fathom 12 is good, but heavy. I wouldn’t want to work a popper with it. I have an older one. There are newer and lighter versions now.

Post 02 Jan 2022, 21:05 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
You might consider something like an ABU 6500C, or one of the old Penns like a 930.

Of course, level-wind reels are a little bit of a risk on the beach. A little sand can put you out of commission until you get home. If you want to go old school and non-level-wind, then a Penn Beachmaster 155 or 160.

Post 03 Jan 2022, 13:34 • #10 
Piscator
I mentioned odd stock of remaining Ambassadeur 6500 CT Blue Yonder.
Found this one vendor - don't know anything about him, but this will be a casting machine with 14-lb fluoro or 30-lb braid.
https://www.outdoority.com/reels-castin ... -reel.html.
Located in FL, and a phone number.

When you load a NLW reel, you need to lay a good hand level wind, here, fluoro on the deep spool for my 6500.
tight, intimate lay in one direction, fast lay in the opposite.

You also may need to give it some attention when you're retrieving, and restore the hand level wind back at home.
A line winder helps. (this is my 5500)

New Topic Add Reply