It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:06

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Chinese glass
Post 06 Dec 2021, 23:24 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
From YMJZ Store, on Aliexpress.. 1.5m which is about 4.5ft American, ultralight for stream fishing with BFS reels.

No idea what the Chinese ideograms say, probably 'ha ha American fools will buy anything'.

This is my first pure BFS rod so it's hard for me to tell if good or not. The style of casting is quite different from my usual heave, still figuring it out. It's going to take some practice. A 2.3g spoon flies beautifully, heavier 4g Thomas Buoyant doesn't get any more distance but is easy to cast. The 1.5g spoon and 3-4g minnow lures are tricky. With those I have to set the mag brake quite high and the cast distance is reduced to barely fishable for stillwater. That's probably OK for streams though.

Tried it out at the local reservoir, not expecting much. Turned out there was a fall spawn of gizzard shad and the trout are beautifully fat, gorged on 1" shad. The fish are selective to that size and color. Bigger spoons and thin minnow lures got the odd bump. A Bellyache minnow pattern on fly rod was also ignored - thought it would be a perfect match for a little shad, no. Mine is tied with a black back that doesn't match the light olive of the naturals. The 1.5g Shimano Slim Swimmer spoon is a perfect match and got clobbered.

Hooked more trout than than my wildest dreams, didn't land many but was thoroughly entertained.

Next morning went back also carrying a spin finesse outfit with 4lb mono, to throw that Shimano spoon a bit further. That worked well. As it got lighter and brighter the shad vanished from the shallows taking the trout with them. Killed a 14" that was gill hooked, then kept a nice 18" as well to make dinner.

Compare and contrast the spoon on the big trout, with the little shad posed on the big trout in the dead fish picture. A perfect match.

Fished the spin and the BFS rods in turn. All fish on the Shimano spoon, half a dozen or more. On the BFS rod, a 2.3g spoon in silver which looked a good match to me. Just one hit briefly hooked a nice 18" which quickly shook loose. Spoon selectivity..

With graphite rods I feel that I lose more fish after hooking than with glass. The rod feels 'hard' under load so my theory is it is less forgiving than glass, gives the fish something to work against. The light wire barbless hooks don't help of course.
This BFS rod with a fish on feels more like than graphite than glass, stiff hard butt, not a good thing.
Look forward to trying it on an actual stream..

Re: Chinese glass
Post 07 Dec 2021, 11:52 • #2 
Administrator
doug in co wrote:
No idea what the Chinese ideograms say...
Google Lens is your friend. The direct Google translation is,
"Fishery Carpentry"
"Craftsmanship is a skill, heart is a cultivation base"

The direct translation reads a bit weird, but I think the idea comes across.

Tom

Post 07 Dec 2021, 12:23 • #3 
Master Guide
Good build. Nice grip!

Post 20 Jan 2022, 14:39 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
stream fished around the ice, a few follows but no fish, so it goes..
That Smith Niagis spinner 3g casts like a bullet, and the weighted body plus a swivel keeps it from twisting line. It's the best trout spinner I've seen..

Post 20 Jan 2022, 16:16 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Nice ! Saw your pics and ordered a batch of Smith Niagis 3g spinners off ebay from someplace in Israel.

I keep looking at those baitcasting rigs, sounds like fun. I've never learned to use a baitcasting reel, something new and interesting to try.

How light can you get a baitcasting reel ? The lightest spinning reels I've found are less than 5.5 oz.

Post 20 Jan 2022, 17:15 • #6 
Piscator
Mepps made an inline spinner very similar to that when I was a kid - but it had a rubber fish body.
I caught a few fish in the river with it.

Any time you're fishing spinners, swivels are pretty much mandatory.
The best /smallest I've found are Sugihara size 00

Post 27 Jan 2022, 17:09 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Odonata wrote:
How light can you get a baitcasting reel ?

how much money do you have ?
;-)
as always - light, cheap and durable, pick any two..

there's a new Shimano made for US market, the Curado BFS, weighs in at 6.2oz and under $200. With the improved braking systems it will be easy to cast, too.
That's what I'd get if I wasn't an ornery old vintage gear enthusiast. Instead I now have a Abu 4600C re-fitted with an ultralight spool, which casts 2g surprisingly well. I was able to toss a 2g Pin's Minnow easily, nearly caught a trout in between the ice floes in December..

Otherwise the specialty BFS reels will be an ounce or two lighter. Daiwa Alphas Air TW 20 is 160g which is about 5.6oz, at about twice the price from Japan or elsewhere in the Asian markets. It's rated down to 1g lures, would also be a fine pick.

Post 27 Jan 2022, 18:47 • #8 
Piscator
Baitcaster is a simpler mechanism than spinning reel.
Magnesium frame, anodized alloy drive, small spool diameter - 4-1/2 oz is the norm.
Even big spool reels are down to 5-1/2 oz, and this 8'3" rod is 2-1/2 oz.
This is a high-grade reel and a mid-grade rod. This combo will cast 1/16 oz easily beyond 100'

However, stream fishing rods are short to fit in tight spaces, small spools, and accurate casts in those tight spaces.

Post 28 Jan 2022, 10:14 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks guys. Silly me, I took a closer look at the Bait Finesse Empire site, and noticed that they are selling a few reels in the 5 oz neighborhood.

I see there are a few four-piece trout rods on the BFE site, as well. Probably the tip of the iceberg for the JDM market ... I suspect that a builder like Graywolf could make short work of this and build something really nice.

I really only use conventional tackle on high country trout lakes, so casting distance with light lures is what I'm after. On my spinning reels I typically use 4# nanofil, but have read this is unsuitable for baitcasters. I see on another thread that Sufix 832 is a recommended line, but it looks like it is only available down to 6#. What do you recommend for beginners ?

Post 28 Jan 2022, 11:16 • #10 
Piscator
Many people like 4- and 5-lb Maxima Ultragreen mono on their finesse rigs.
At least part of that is because it's easier to recover backlash.
The jump from mono/fluoro to braid, for reliability, requires being intimate-enough with the reel to eliminate backlash.
If you're there, braid is a casting advantage.

When I'm setting up a reel, e.g. both my finesse Ambassadeurs, which have internally adjustable mag, I always use a bulk spool of light mono (or YoZuri hybrid).
When it's set and backlash-proof, I clean the spool and load braid.

A little easier with externally adjustable mag, you can start with brake set high and dial down to find the trade-off between distance and incipient backlash.
However, even with good settings, jerk in your cast can still cause backlash, and of course there's always backlash from spool over-run at finish cast (thumb stop).

Image Image

btw, here's a very nice salt-run brown a British woman used to introduce herself on BR forum
https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishi ... nt=2806286

Post 28 Jan 2022, 11:35 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks again !

Post 28 Jan 2022, 15:20 • #12 
Guide
Honestly: its definitely a salmon, not a sea trout!

Post 28 Jan 2022, 17:02 • #13 
Piscator
ok, thanks, friend - what species? It sure looks like a brown

ok, I chased it down - I've only seen photos of chrome Atlantic salmon - that's how they look with a kype.

Post 31 Jan 2022, 17:02 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Odonata wrote:
I really only use conventional tackle on high country trout lakes, so casting distance with light lures is what I'm after.

also note, a lot of the BFS is focused on stream fishing which needs short accurate casts rather than distance. Tiny rods like mine in this post aren't useful for distance. I was fishing it on the lake just for casting practice, usually take a 7' UL glass rod for the bass ponds etc. 2g and up will get good distance on that, comparable to spin.

lines are a puzzle to me. Mono is simplest but not recommended for some of the BFS spools due to stretch and compression problems. All the braids I've tried so far have worked OK but haven't yet found one I really like. My inclination would be to start as Ron says, 4lb Maxima or 5lb DAM Tectan. With high lake trout and reasonable care, can't see the mono being a problem.

Post 01 Feb 2022, 11:41 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks again for the tips, guys.

I spent a bit of time digesting all this, looking up specs, prices, checking out who has what in stock, lead times, etc. Wow, this is one particularly expensive and exclusive hobby, even by fly fishing standards :)

Still looks like fun though, and I plan to keep an open mind.

Post 01 Feb 2022, 12:17 • #16 
Piscator
that's exactly the way to do it. Spend your money wisely.
They gripe about BFS elitism on BR forum - of course, they do the same about fly rods, and especially fly fishermen - TU is the devil, and the same as PETA.
Of course, the reality is, the gear people like to fish is just the gear people like to fish, and other people digest subconscious terrors over the unknown.
It's also imperative to know in advance what you want because, with batch manufacturing and supply, the good stuff gets picked out of stock pretty quickly.

Post 01 Feb 2022, 18:39 • #17 
Guide
I looked around for spools for my old 4600C (83-84) but came up with nothing available. It was my go to for Spanish mackerel and sea trout back in the day ( until I got a Calcutta) It would be cool to rehab the old girl for mountain trout.

Post 01 Feb 2022, 18:57 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
I looked around for spools for my old 4600C (83-84) but came up with nothing available.

There's nothing for those older bigger Abus unfortunately..
the 4600C from about '89 has the same spool as bulldog shows in his Royal Express tuneup,
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=72806

It's a Momo studio aka AMO spool, got mine from Aliexpress. The spool cost more than my 4600C off ebay.. and down the rathole I go..

Post 02 Feb 2022, 09:30 • #19 
Piscator
G8trwood wrote:
I looked around for spools for my old 4600C (83-84) but came up with nothing available. It was my go to for Spanish mackerel and sea trout back in the day ( until I got a Calcutta) It would be cool to rehab the old girl for mountain trout.

This is for 4500/4600C3 and later with Ultracast design
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001140002917.html

OS Avail spools sell on ebay for outrageous prices - I think there was one listed last week with fixed spindle for older 4500/4600C
Keep your eyes peeled, they may get around to a new batch - here's the Avail part number you want: AMB4530R-CB

Here's the AMO spool on my 4600 (Royal Express - Ultracast equiv to C3).

This reel also has Valleyhill BB worm gear and rider with ceramic line guide for braid, Mike's zirconia pawl and BB spur gear, Avail mag, and Kagawa dual-BB idler gear.
It's noteworthy how much inertia Mike's zirconia pawl removes on the LW - the Abu brass pawl is a little anchor (Mike's pawl doesn't work on 1500/2500).

The reel will cast 3 g, though my goal is to fish 2-5-times that (1/8 to 5/8 oz)
The result is nice enough to look for a reel that you can find parts.
These reels are so easy to work on, bearings easy to swap, etc.
Many guys, including Don Iovino, simply port and polish the idler gear and worm-gear bushings to slick up the LW - you can combine that with a low-mass spool, alloy rider, zirconia pawl, and have a nice result.

Something on my to-do list is build a NLW 4500 CT - buy a complete brake plate and stainless drive from Rocket Reel Co; ZZeta frame, side plates, and trim from Surfcast Pro Shop; AMO spool; a spindle and sundries from E-replacement parts. Next to it is my 5500 with Avail microcast spool.

Post 02 Feb 2022, 12:52 • #20 
Guide
Thanks for the info.

The flea place prices on the small abu’s is pretty crazy. Clearly in vogue again.

Post 02 Feb 2022, 13:36 • #21 
Piscator
You can always call Don Iovino and see if he has anything newly tuned for sale.

Post 02 Feb 2022, 15:29 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
A couple more really dumb beginner questions:
* I notice in Doug's pics above, the baitcaster is right hand wind, while the spinning reel is the more usual (for me) left-hand. Bulldog's pics seem to show the baitcasters all RHW. For a rather typical right-handed person who uses LHW in fly and spin gear, what is preferred (I realize this will vary) ? Does it matter ?
* Gear ratios: for spinning reels I mostly use something in the 5:1 range, just, well, because... seems to work for me. A number of BFS reels seem to have 7:1 or 8:1 ratios. Is that a big difference, really ? From what I can tell, the faster ratios are used for different types of lures ... I think ?

Again, dumb questions ...

Post 02 Feb 2022, 15:47 • #23 
Guide
Casters were mostly all righty for a long time, get what you want. Look at the line retrieval in inches per crank rotation of your reels vs the different BC to get an idea of what you like. The BC might be 8:1 and have the same inches per crank as your spinners. The lower rates are mainly for big baits where you need power over speed. I generally stay in the 6/7 range. But some bfs are higher for the retrieval on a smaller spool. The Curado BFS is 8:1 I believe.

Post 02 Feb 2022, 16:22 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
baitcaster history- most of us old guys started with baitcasters when they were all RHW. It's only in recent years that it was even possible to find LHW baitcasters.
It doesn't bother me to use the RHW for a baitcaster since I'll typically change grip after casting to palm the baitcaster during retrieve. Since a change of grip is needed anyway, it uses both hands whether RH or LH wind. With a spin or fly reel, the fishing grip and retrieve grip is often the same, so changing hands is an extra step and the LHW is better.

as G8trwood says, look at the inches/turn (IPT) number rather than gear ratio. Baitcasters tend to have high speeds because of bass fishermen who like to retrieve baits fast, burning those spinnerbaits in. I've never caught a freshwater fish on a fast retrieve, tend to prefer slower retrieves. For trout stream fishing, the faster retrieves are nice when fishing up or up and across, to keep in touch with the retrieved spoon. That Abu Revo4x in the picture is 31" per turn which is good on a stream but I find it too quick on stillwaters, have to really concentrate to keep the retrieve slow enough. The 4600C has about 24" which I prefer for lake.

Post 02 Feb 2022, 19:15 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks again !

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply