It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:43

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Nov 2021, 16:27 • #1 
Sport
Would anyone have the parts list for an Orvis 100 spinning reel that they could send as a PDF? The only one I could find online is behind a paywall at ORCA. I'll consider joining ORCA if no one has a copy, but I am honestly not that into reels per se. Tried the auction site for the past couple of weeks without success.

Thank you

Joe

Post 15 Nov 2021, 16:56 • #2 
Piscator
you might search the posts of the Italian historian of these reels and his website
https://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/memberl ... le&u=22655
It may already be on his website, but be sure he has the paper.

Post 15 Nov 2021, 17:49 • #3 
Sport
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and applied for membership in hopes that I can track this down.

Post 16 Nov 2021, 11:23 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
here's one..

I have the 150S which I like, though the line roller design is horrible, fragile and difficult to repair. Once fixed it's OK, just don't ever touch it if it's working..

Post 16 Nov 2021, 15:46 • #5 
Sport
Thanks Doug, I appreciate that. I have a pretty pristine Orvis 100 that I use with bamboo spinning rods. I really like them, fairly simple reels, and they run somewhat smoothly. Mine is pretty gummed up though with what I assume is congealed grease. I don’t plan on stripping it down, but the list would help just in case something goes awry.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 14:48 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
jmq4:

It isn't a big deal, but there are two versions of Part #17 which is described as a "Gear Ring."

The newer reels have a single knurled ring or cap while the older reels have two flat rings with a notch in them. I don't know if the parts are interchangeable, but I have a couple of 50A's and at least one of them has the older two rings while the other has the newer #17N ring.

FWIW - I had to fabricate a tool to get the older #17 pair of gear rings off of my older 50A when I cleaned it, while the single #17N ring is easy to get loose and remove.

Coincidentally, I also use the Orvis reels on bamboo spinning rods, not surprisingly on Orvis bamboo spinning rods of which I have a nice assortment. I have been looking for an Orvis 100 for one of my rods which dates to 1947 but to be honest, I have a really nice half bail Mitchell and a #2 Hardy Altex that are more age appropriate.

BTW - I did a full strip and "Bulldog cleaning" on my Orvis 50's, and the Mitchell & Altex with no issues and excellent results!!

Good luck & enjoy!!

Post 17 Nov 2021, 19:50 • #7 
Sport
BamBoozle

Thank you for that information. I'll strip it down as far as I can and give it the vinegar bath. My 100 is an older one with the two rings for #17 that you mention and the round 'beehive' handle

Joe

Post 18 Nov 2021, 05:59 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I don't have any with that handle style so yours must be older than mine, although I don't have any idea on how to date them.

Post 18 Nov 2021, 13:39 • #9 
Sport
I made up the beehive part, but that's what it looks like to me.

I believe that this style of handle was the earliest, and shows up in catalogs in the 1950's. Later versions have the paddle type handle. For some reason I seem to remember that the beehive handles were only available for a short time before the switch occurred, but its been some time since I researched that.

Post 19 Nov 2021, 07:20 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I knew exactly what you meant by "beehive" handle...;)

Post 01 Jun 2022, 22:20 • #11 
Master Guide
Cool looking vintage reel. Sort of looks like a classic Mitchell 308. Love the “beehive” handle description.

Post 02 Jun 2022, 08:09 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I'll give an ergonomic reason for one handle style or another--the amount of cranking effort the reel is designed for and expected to withstand. Paddle-stye handles invite more forceful cranking than the smaller cylindrical knob ("beehive" variant in the description here). As a general point, most reels should not be used as winches to crank against strong outgoing resistance. They are better thought of as a winding mechanism to gain line under lighter tension. the rod is pumped to gain line, and winding takes place on the downstroke. The ability of a reel to winch in line varies, casting reels being the stoutest for that purpose, both in geartrain and spool orientation. Fly reels, most with the axle supported on only one side, the least suitable. In any style, winching line in can spool it too tightly, causing subsequent problems when line is taken out. Again, the level wind casting reel is the most suitable. Spinning reels are in between, having a less direct gear train, and using mono line that is stretchy and digs itself when wound too tight. On a fly feel with a large cranking radius, and on spinning reels, the paddle handle is an invitation to wind too hard. We got used to them on spinning reels of the time, being used to pump and reel with fly reels and not expecting them to be used as a winch. Nowadays, I see people hook a rock and wind as hard as they can, heedless of the mechanical limitations. That will use up a spinning reel quickly, even if the rock does move.

That is a great transitional design illustration in the history of open-faced spinning reels.

New Topic Add Reply